sub panel feeds no neutral - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 06-11-2012, 07:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 57
Default sub panel feeds no neutral

I have a 12-2 with ground romex feed that i want to have a small 240 /120 sub panel at. or a 240 v load and a 120v load is this possible. by pounding another ground. or adding a transformer
myenergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 07:26 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,334

You can add a transformer but pounding a ground rod will not give you as neutral or a ground.
Dennis Alwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:30 AM   #3
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 1,038

wow. a whole #12-2 feeder ? with the entire circuit ampacity available ? what are you going to do with all that power ?
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 07:35 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 57

I know it's funny. the home owner paid the electrician to get power out to that side of the house before the basement was finished. so she could have it there when she installed her in ground pool. Just trying to get 7 amps at 240v for pump and a convienence outlet thats what I need the neutral for.
myenergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

I'm thinking its a really small 120v load right? Is it a power adapter for something? I remember a while ago somebody asked a question a bit like this and then they found a 240v power adapter for whatever they were using and used an inline fuse. It was something to do with a water heater.

Just saw update nvm

Last edited by jakeparr; 06-11-2012 at 07:38 AM. Reason: nvm
jakeparr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:41 AM   #6
felonious smile.

Rewards Points: 572

Just tag a convenience receptacle back to back of an existing inside receptacle and use the 12 feed for your pump. Doesn't the pool ( a body of water that doesn't discharge after use) require a insulated ground?
Old 06-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #7
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 1,038

1) wire the pump 120 and use the existing ckt.

2) pull a feed
Old 06-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockdoc View Post
Doesn't the pool ( a body of water that doesn't discharge after use) require a insulated ground?
If 680.21(A)(4) applies in his jurisdiction, he's okay with the portion of the wiring that's inside the house being in NM without an insulated grounding conductor. Where he goes outdoors, conduit is required, and a green insulated grounding conductor, never smaller than 12AWG.

(4)
One-Family Dwellings. In the interior of one-family dwellings, or in the interior of accessory buildings associated with a one-family dwelling, any of the wiring methods recognized in Chapter 3 of this Code that comply with the provisions of this paragraph shall be permitted. Where run in a cable assembly, the equipment grounding conductor shall be permitted to be uninsulated, but it shall be enclosed within the outer sheath of the cable assembly.

Was born in HACKensack, NJ
CraigV is offline   Reply With Quote