Substation - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By dmxtothemax
  • 1 Post By telsa
  • 1 Post By Robmil81
  • 1 Post By Lone Crapshooter
  • 1 Post By MikeFL

Old 01-24-2018, 06:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 32
Default Substation

Soooo anyone know anything about it? I thought about applying for an open job, whatís the normal day like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Robmil81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2018, 06:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,376

Get the job ?
Then you can tell us ?

John Valdes likes this.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25,898

It's a let down compared to a prime station.
matt1124 likes this.
telsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2018, 07:05 PM   #4

So basically neither of you know correct?

Old 01-24-2018, 09:17 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,186

Could be numerous things depending how the organization is structured.
Could be like a maintenance electrician that works exclusively in substations troubleshooting the building wiring,interior lighting some minor HVAC work.

If it is P&C work (utilities) meter & relay (industrial) that would involve working with the protective relays batteries battery chargers and the devices that protect and control the electrical system. Most of the time it is advertised as a P&C (Protection & Control) or meter and relay technician / electrician.

In industry anymore it could be a do it all position which may include some basic circuit breaker maintenance . Polishing brass that gets real old real quick.
You may learn how to setup a Digitrip or Amptector or other solid state trip devise. That work is not bad but if you do 10 or 15 breakers at a time it can get old . Also you would have to do the high voltage and high energy switching. You get to ware a $2000.00 flash suit when it is 100 degrees out side and if your substation is not air conditioned then it can get real hot.

LC
brian john likes this.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:48 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 268

It will vary depending on the company just like any other job... is it for a utility or contractor? A lot of substation guys are cross disciplined now, doing substation work and protection & control. Here we are cross disciplined and a lot of the smaller utilities here in Ontario are the same way, bigger companies it's standard for it to be two separate jobs.

Substation equipment in general you are looking at power transformers, LA's, tap changers, instrument transformers, ct's pt's, switchgear, buswork, power circuit breakers, power cable, battery banks and dc controls, relays etc. That's the bread and butter in this line of work, again they could have way more then that or way less depending on their system. Usually distribution level is going to be the most basic simplest systems, and it gets more complex I suppose you could say/equipment gets larger more redundancies and complexity as you go towards the transmission and generation side of things.

A normal day here on the distribution side of things is kind of all over the map. We could have switchgear out of service for maintenance, get called to test power cable, test breakers and relays for annual maintenance. Then get a call middle of the night for an 87 trip on a transformer take the bus all apart and test the transformer. A lot of it here is reactive service work as equipment is run until failure, but can also get into construction side of things installing automation equipment of distribution systems or replacing the failed equipment. For the most part here though it's service work and maintenance, respond to gas alarm or low voltage alarm, feeder lockout etc. There is a lot to learn and a good variety. It can be very standard troubleshooting finding what has tripped the overload for a motor right to the extreme other end of the spectrum going deep into a protective relay logic trying to figure out why your high set instantaneous did not pickup. For the most part you'll get a lot of people not understanding what you do, asking you to wire their basement or put in a potlight. Not to say you won't do some of that standard "electrician work", but really its not a construction electrician job running miles of pipe and pulling wire.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:54 PM   #7

Sounds like a busy day, which is fine by me helps the time go by, right now Iím doing commercial electric but I came from an industrial maintenance background and enjoy the service side of things rather than what I do now

Old 01-24-2018, 10:13 PM   #8

Sounds like a busy day, which is fine by me helps the time go by, right now Iím doing commercial electric but I came from an industrial maintenance background and enjoy the service side of things rather than what I do now

Old 01-24-2018, 11:54 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,874

If you work in a substation, don't err.
nolabama likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:23 AM   #10
AKA Luketrician

Rewards Points: 1,101

like what others have said, also you will probably have a lot of windshield time, driving around to different substations collecting oil samples from transformers and PCBs. Doble testing transformers that are out of service for maintenance. Performing preventative maintenance on Buchholz gas detection relays, sudden pressure relays, and load tap changer maintenance.
Moonshot180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:48 AM   #11

It sounds interesting

Old 01-25-2018, 11:06 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 7,051

Usually, companies that do sub-station maintenance require experience in the field. Ones that don't, I would avoid. Mistakes can be catastrophic.
joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:37 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,796

Sounds like a great job with benefits?
If its the POCO, I would assume the pay is okay as well?
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:37 PM   #14

Itís LG/KU

Old 01-25-2018, 10:39 PM   #15

Iím also looking at joining a small electric company, Iím with a pretty big one now but they just mass hire and lay off and I donít wanna be one of those lol plus we ainít got hardly any work but yet that small company just finished a job and getting 3 more, I donít understand that much