Symptoms of an open neutral - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By backstay
  • 2 Post By backstay

Old 09-24-2017, 08:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 20
Default Symptoms of an open neutral

can someone please shed some light on this. I've seen two separate cases in which the answer was an open neutral. both had 120v H to G and 0 H to N. the difference was N to ground for one was 0 and the other was 120. i cant figure out how these two exact opposites can point to the same conclusion.
Dizzykidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2017, 08:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 296

Your neutral will have 120 volts to ground if the bonding is open between the ground and neutrals and there is a closed switch feeding it.
The_Modifier likes this.
backstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,606

Draw out each circuit with it's fault. Then you will see why two different symptoms are the same problem. Were all measurements taken at the same points under the same conditions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2017, 10:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25,858

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzykidd View Post
can someone please shed some light on this. I've seen two separate cases in which the answer was an open neutral. both had 120v H to G and 0 H to N.

[ If the neutral is pulled high it is also at 120V to G. This is to be expected any time a connected load allows the Hot to bleed voltage through to the Neutral. This can be a plugged in load like a wall wart or an incandescent lamp.

Such values are the classic sign that you're looking at an open neutral. ]

the difference was N to ground for one was 0 and the other was 120.

[ In this instance, no path from the Hot to the Neutral exists ( ie through a resistive or inductive load ) ... but the Neutral is still broken. ]

i cant figure out how these two exact opposites can point to the same conclusion.
Does that clear it up ?
telsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:21 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 20

Sorry guys I'm still not getting it
Dizzykidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:25 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 296

If you power a light and then remove the neutral wire from the neutral bus, you will have 120 volts from that neutral to ground.
hardworkingstiff and telsa like this.
backstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:35 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,998

Quote:
Symptoms of an open neutral
Smoke

Quote:
Sorry guys I'm still not getting it
Get a pencil and paper and draw a couple of 120V circuits with/without loads and it may become clear.

Last edited by 220/221; 09-25-2017 at 10:38 PM.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:30 PM   #8
Electron Pathway Engineer

Rewards Points: 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220/221 View Post
Smoke

Get a pencil and paper and draw a couple of 120V circuits with/without loads and it may become clear.
It may become clearer to the experienced, but for someone entering the trade- the experienced have long forgotten what it is like to be the FNG.

Just a tip- and just the tip, break it down like its a homeowner.... You'll soon see where the experienced have lost touch.

BRINGING RESPECT TO THE TRADES IS IMPERATIVE. DO YOUR PART!

Last edited by The_Modifier; 09-25-2017 at 11:33 PM.
The_Modifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:29 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 3,998

I couldn't explain it to a homeowner. I can only explain it to guys I teach by using a pencil and paper. Hell, I could only understand it myself by using a pencil and paper.

My brain like to follow lines.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:34 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 14,714

Whether you have 120 or 0 between N and G depends on where the neutral is broken and whether a circuit that involves that neutral is energized with a load.

Like others said, try drawing it out.
Three vastly different enemies, but enemies who shared one common trait. ALL of them stifle free speech. All of them bully, degrade and terrorize those who hold opposing views and who peacefully express them. All of them are intolerant and demand “loyalty” to the leader. Michael Sand
hardworkingstiff is offline   Reply With Quote