Is there a Sine wave output battery charger? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 02-22-2010, 06:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 26
Default Is there a Sine wave output battery charger?

I was considering using a new 12VDC 1000 Watt Sine wave inverter I have to use as an Uninterruptible Power Supply to my CPAP machines and HDTV system. I intend to have a battery large enough to power the CPAPs overnight on battery, if no grid power, while powering the TV off the inverter while being charged by the grid, with up to a 20 minute grid outage. I am thinking that I will need a battery charger that has a clean enough output wave form to not cause a buzz in the TV nor hurt the CPAP machines or TV. Is there such a charger or is a cheaper version good enough?

I also have my factory refreshed 1990 Trace 2524SB charger/inverter which has a modified square wave output. This powers most things well including a garage door opener. It did kill a $20 cassette player by making it run fast. This would do it all if the output will not harm anything.
SsgKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2010, 08:25 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Actually, a battery itself acts as a pretty good rectifier, but the issue isn't so much a sine wave output as it is the alternating current about a "zero" reference. Even AC can be used to charge a lead-acid battery, but they can be destroyed by the heat buildup of such an inefficient method.

The problem with square waves is virtually identical although under the right condition, they are "pulsating DC" rather than AC.
waco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:02 AM   #3

Default battery chargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by waco View Post
Actually, a battery itself acts as a pretty good rectifier,
So, are you saying I do not have to worry about the battery charger type? I was going to use two size 29 deep cycle marine batteries in parallel or one bigger battery. I am really just worried about what comes out of the sine wave inverter. If the 120 pounds of lead plates smooth out the wave form to run a modern HDTV, then I have all I need with a modern solid state charger; is that right?
Quote:
but the issue isn't so much a sine wave output as it is the alternating current about a "zero" reference. Even AC can be used to charge a lead-acid battery, but they can be destroyed by the heat buildup of such an inefficient method.

The problem with square waves is virtually identical although under the right condition, they are "pulsating DC" rather than AC.
The last part is too advanced for me. I am unfamiliar with a zero reference. I do know about square waves and modified square waves in the Trace system of the 1990's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

the zero reference is what determines if current actually reverses direction or not. Even with a sine wave, voltage can vary at a sinusoidal rate, but current never changes direction.

Think of the clock pulse square waves used in computers. They are of the same polarity so current never reverses, but they are square waves.

Oh, and square waves are just sine waves with many more harmonics.

What it is you want to do is above my pay grade. I know theory, but not the technique I think you are interested in.
waco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:17 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,712

Cheap battery chargers put out a DC voltage with an AC sine wave due to cost savings (no filters, typically caps). A battery will filter out some of the AC imposed on the DC, but this AC also shortens a batteries life. IUsually not a concern for the average charger uses.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:58 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

http://rimstar.org/renewnrg/sp_pure_...ified_sine.htm
http://www.donrowe.com/inverters/puresine.html

Hope this helps.
jwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:03 PM   #7

Thank you for your considered replies. I may just use the system on the CPAP machines as they were made for a lot of inputs; 90-240 vac.

I am not trusting the old Trace on my new TV just so it does not get stupid on me. I will look with greater detail at your liks, thank you. My peek looked good.

Is this also a forum for whether high speed cable with digital TV questions?

Last edited by SsgKen; 02-22-2010 at 07:05 PM.