Thermostat question? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By inetdog
  • 3 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 2 Post By emtnut
  • 1 Post By Signal1
  • 1 Post By Drsparky14
  • 5 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 1 Post By electricguy

Old 03-31-2017, 06:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 28
Default Thermostat question?

Thermostat question?-img_0649.jpg
This may sound really simple, but would this line stat work to break one leg of a 120/240 volt baseboard heater?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Family guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2017, 06:15 PM   #2

Thermostat question?-img_0648.jpg

Old 03-31-2017, 06:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family guy View Post
Attachment 102953
This may sound really simple, but would this line stat work to break one leg of a 120/240 volt baseboard heater?

Yes. The NEC may require that there be a disconnect that opens both L1 and L2 at the same time, but a control thermostat only needs to open one.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
inetdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2017, 06:28 PM   #4

Yeah normally I get the spdt stat with the four leads but got the wrong one will have to freshen up on nec requirements for resistive loads.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:35 PM   #5
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family guy View Post
Yeah normally I get the spdt stat with the four leads but got the wrong one will have to freshen up on nec requirements for resistive loads.

You mean you usually get a DPST.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:53 PM   #6

Ok. So I read in 424.20(b) that thermostats that do not directly interrupt all ungrounded conductors are not permitted as disconnecting means.
The disconnecting means in 424.19 needs to simultaneously disconnect heater and controller from all ungrounded conductors.
424.19(A) states that the if there be supplementary overcurrent protection the disconnecting means must be within sight.
The stat is not overcurrent protection, but there is a thermal cutoff within the baseboard.
Breaker is around the corner from the stat and heater it controls.
It does not jump out and tell me that it this would be a violation, unless I am missing something.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:00 PM   #7
Band Member

Rewards Points: 848

I'd be surprised if the breaker wasn't the disconnect
MechanicalDVR and circuitman1 like this.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:45 PM   #8
Gold Pliers Champion

Rewards Points: 2,130

As Inetdog and your instructions on the box both said, if you wire it that way it will electrically work fine, but will not provide a disconnecting means within sight as required by NEC 424.19 (B)(1).
A thermostat that opens all ungrounded conductors AND has a marked OFF position on it can serve as both the disconnecting means and the controller. See 424.20(A) parts 1-4 and 424.20(B).

Edit: Somehow missed your post #6, glad you do your homework!
I'm not sure if I would consider the thermal as "overcurrent protection", as that's more a high limit to prevent a fire (IE idiots piling laundry on the heater) and not really to protect the conductors.
shocksystems likes this.

Last edited by Signal1; 03-31-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Signal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 03:03 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal1 View Post
As Inetdog and your instructions on the box both said, if you wire it that way it will electrically work fine, but will not provide a disconnecting means within sight as required by NEC 424.19 (B)(1).
A thermostat that opens all ungrounded conductors AND has a marked OFF position on it can serve as both the disconnecting means and the controller. See 424.20(A) parts 1-4 and 424.20(B).

Edit: Somehow missed your post #6, glad you do your homework!
I'm not sure if I would consider the thermal as "overcurrent protection", as that's more a high limit to prevent a fire (IE idiots piling laundry on the heater) and not really to protect the conductors.

Just use that t stat and throw a lockout in the panel.

Majewski likes this.
Drsparky14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 03:13 PM   #10
Old Grumpy Bastard

I take it you haven't installed that much electric baseboard. Always had breakers for each room and a t-stat per room unless it was a large room that needed a lot of heat.

Breaker was the means of disconnect, I'd never rely on a thermostat for a means of disconnect.

Old 04-02-2017, 03:49 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,972

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
I take it you haven't installed that much electric baseboard. Always had breakers for each room and a t-stat per room unless it was a large room that needed a lot of heat.

Breaker was the means of disconnect, I'd never rely on a thermostat for a means of disconnect.
I have had a few thermostats that would not turn off in the off position
Majewski likes this.
electricguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:31 PM   #12
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricguy View Post
I have had a few thermostats that would not turn off in the off position
I've had many that have an off position but one side is welded in place and still passes voltage.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:41 AM   #13
Wyome

Rewards Points: 912

We have installed a fair bit of electric heat, with room t-stats. Never had an inspector fail us for this reason. I always thought about though.
te12co2w is offline   Reply With Quote