Thinking outside the box - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By hardworkingstiff
  • 7 Post By drewsserviceco
  • 1 Post By 220/221
  • 1 Post By Bird dog

Old 09-13-2017, 10:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 62
Default Thinking outside the box

I am wondering how everyone gets their employees to think outside the box? Most of my guys do commercial jobs. Follow the blue prints and run wire from point a to point b. But there are slow times that we have them do residential jobs. Its like they are lost. Deer in headlights. If something is even slightly different, they freeze. A 2 hr job takes 4 or more.
was240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2017, 10:11 PM   #2
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 996

Maybe tell them this should take 'x' amount of time and see what happens.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:10 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 14,714

It has been my experience that commercial electricians struggle with residential.

Unless you do residential on a regular basis, you will not compete well with those that do it on a regular basis. Same thing in reverse.
telsa likes this.
Three vastly different enemies, but enemies who shared one common trait. ALL of them stifle free speech. All of them bully, degrade and terrorize those who hold opposing views and who peacefully express them. All of them are intolerant and demand “loyalty” to the leader. Michael Sand
hardworkingstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2017, 08:48 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by was240 View Post
I am wondering how everyone gets their employees to think outside the box? Most of my guys do commercial jobs. Follow the blue prints and run wire from point a to point b. But there are slow times that we have them do residential jobs. Its like they are lost. Deer in headlights. If something is even slightly different, they freeze. A 2 hr job takes 4 or more.
Take the blue prints away.
backstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:21 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2

Some would find what I'm about to say offensive, but ...

You have installers working for you, not electricians.

I was in the one category myself and have started the shift to the other but am humble enough to not make the claim I am fully in the second category...what the hell am I getting at...

I was an installer, and a damn good one and then I went into business for myself and was quickly made aware of how much I don't know. Coming from a commercial or industrial background generally means that everything is designed and engineered for you. I'm not discrediting the amount of skill required to be a good installer, but I never had to size equipment because it was already determined. I didn't have to be super sharp on code requirements for the same reason. I needed a basic understanding of both code and design, and was trained in both, but like any other muscle group it will atrophy if not exercised on a regular basis.

Doing residential work or smaller commercial/industrial work (where generally there is no engineering/design budget) means you become the designer and have to ensure sound designs that will meet the customer's requirements and satisfy the applicable codes at the same time.

Knowing what I know now, I feel fake calling myself a (master) electrician because there are those that have the total package (theory & code, hands on ability, problem solving/troubleshooting and customer service) and I know where the gaps are in my game.
drewsserviceco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drewsserviceco For This Useful Post:
hardworkingstiff (09-14-2017), SummitElectric1 (09-14-2017), Ty the electric guy (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 09:33 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 7,520

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewsserviceco View Post
Some would find what I'm about to say offensive, but ...

You have installers working for you, not electricians.

I was in the one category myself and have started the shift to the other but am humble enough to not make the claim I am fully in the second category...what the hell am I getting at...

I was an installer, and a damn good one and then I went into business for myself and was quickly made aware of how much I don't know. Coming from a commercial or industrial background generally means that everything is designed and engineered for you. I'm not discrediting the amount of skill required to be a good installer, but I never had to size equipment because it was already determined. I didn't have to be super sharp on code requirements for the same reason. I needed a basic understanding of both code and design, and was trained in both, but like any other muscle group it will atrophy if not exercised on a regular basis.

Doing residential work or smaller commercial/industrial work (where generally there is no engineering/design budget) means you become the designer and have to ensure sound designs that will meet the customer's requirements and satisfy the applicable codes at the same time.

Knowing what I know now, I feel fake calling myself a (master) electrician because there are those that have the total package (theory & code, hands on ability, problem solving/troubleshooting and customer service) and I know where the gaps are in my game.
I agree. I have worked with many "installers" who hold a Canadian Red Seal license
This One guy, was an amazing worker. If you had a transformer, conduit and wire to install this guy would get it in the fastest. It would be plumb, level and look great as well. Boss loved him.
But, if we turned it on and it didn't work, he would say "I can't trouble shoot. I don't even have a meter in my tool bag. Get someone else. Do you have more conduit to install for me?
eddy current is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:47 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,998

It's more than a matter of thinking outside the box. It's a matter of experience.

Experienced electricians can learn resi, commercial or industrial more quickly than a newbie because all phases have the same basis, but it still takes hands on experience to do any job efficiently.
dronai likes this.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:32 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,636

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy current View Post
I agree. I have worked with many "installers" who hold a Canadian Red Seal license
This One guy, was an amazing worker. If you had a transformer, conduit and wire to install this guy would get it in the fastest. It would be plumb, level and look great as well. Boss loved him.
But, if we turned it on and it didn't work, he would say "I can't trouble shoot. I don't even have a meter in my tool bag. Get someone else. Do you have more conduit to install for me?
They're called "pipe & wire electricians" Nothing wrong with that as they're needed also. Sometimes "electrician" can be an ambiguous term.
eddy current likes this.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:09 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,366

If you want them to go outside the box ?
There has to be motivation to do so.
With the current system if they do only what they are told to do
Then if the **** hits the fan they are protected.
Why don't you try giving them a bonus,
next time they come up with a good solution to a tricky problem.
And compliment them.
Nothing motivates like $$$.

dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote