Today was clean up a huge mess day. - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 04-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4,056
Default Today was clean up a huge mess day.

This is one of those jobs where I hope they don't accept the bid. I want to help people and clean up the damage that has been done over the years but it is a tough way to earn a living.

Original K&T was all disconnected but not removed. That's the height of lazy. How hard is it to clip the wires and throw them in the recycle pile?

This was pretty much what the whole attic looked like. Fortunately there was no insulation up there and half of it was actually walkable, upright.

There were about a half dozen of these beauties.

The service had been upgraded and they did a nice job, leaving a 2" EMT access to the attic. The AC guys however decided to use their own PVC and "bare" THHN wiring along with the HO breakers.

There was a huge burn mark on the AH at the MC connector.

I was too beat down to take any after pics. I was crawling in the attic a full 6 hours with no lunch. Was it worth 4K? It doesn't seem like it.

I am TOFTS.

Edit: I forgot the best part. The AC guys ran two black thhn's ans a white for ground. The white wasn't long enough so they spliced it.........in a jbox!

Last edited by 220/221; 04-05-2012 at 10:45 PM.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 11:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,038

4k?

Uh yeah...I'd crawl around in an attic for 6hrs and no lunch for that.
jefft110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

4K cry me a river good for you

just wondering did you remove all the old knob and tube?

Those A/C guys have some nerve running that bare thhn.
Island Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2012, 12:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Electric View Post
just wondering did you remove all the old knob and tube?

I left most of the knobs but cut out all the wiring.

Quote:
Uh yeah...I'd crawl around in an attic for 6hrs and no lunch for that.
How about when you are 60? In the olden days I'd be happy as hell because 3900 of the 4K would go in my pocket. Now, not so much. Tires for my trucks cost $500, a tank of diesel is $125 and insurance premiums go up every freaking year.

I'm about at the end of my career. Too many attics, too many trenches, too many wirenuts....I'm just tired. I should be fishing or playing golf or some schit.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to 220/221 For This Useful Post:
184 (04-07-2012), administr8tor (04-07-2012), dronai (04-06-2012), MaxFuse (04-06-2012), micromind (04-07-2012), OKelectric (04-06-2012), Service Call (04-06-2012), The_Modifier (04-07-2012), yrman (04-06-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 01:06 AM   #5
NJ-IEC

Rewards Points: 424

Cha ching!
Old 04-06-2012, 01:15 AM   #6
RIP 1959-2015

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220/221 View Post
This is one of those jobs where I hope they don't accept the bid. I want to help people and clean up the damage that has been done over the years but it is a tough way to earn a living.

Original K&T was all disconnected but not removed. That's the height of lazy. How hard is it to clip the wires and throw them in the recycle pile?

This was pretty much what the whole attic looked like. Fortunately there was no insulation up there and half of it was actually walkable, upright.

There were about a half dozen of these beauties.

The service had been upgraded and they did a nice job, leaving a 2" EMT access to the attic. The AC guys however decided to use their own PVC and "bare" THHN wiring along with the HO breakers.

There was a huge burn mark on the AH at the MC connector.

I was too beat down to take any after pics. I was crawling in the attic a full 6 hours with no lunch. Was it worth 4K? It doesn't seem like it.

I am TOFTS.

Edit: I forgot the best part. The AC guys ran two black thhn's ans a white for ground. The white wasn't long enough so they spliced it.........in a jbox!
Yes that is a painful $4,000 och!

So the HVAC Guys never heard of romex...?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #7
felonious smile.

Rewards Points: 572

Pic with the 3 # 6s and 2 # 12's ....Kitchen circuits, range and counter ? I've done that in conduit.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockdoc View Post
Pic with the 3 # 6s and 2 # 12's ....Kitchen circuits, range and counter ? I've done that in conduit.
AC circuits, ground mounted condensor and attic air handler. I'd have no problem if they had used conduit. The crap make up and proper breakers are easy enough to fix.

And, I don't know what they cut the hole in the panel with. I could see a square ragged edge under the locknut. They obviously didn't have a hole saw or punch. I just left it there, empty.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:41 PM   #9
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220/221 View Post
How about when you are 60? ....

I'm about at the end of my career. Too many attics, too many trenches, too many wirenuts....I'm just tired. I should be fishing or playing golf or some schit.
it's still a good day's income.... except attics in feen-x
are starting to get a bit warm, aren't they?

but i know how you feel. after a while, you just get tired.
user8640521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:54 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 570

The AC guy did this at a job I just did.. Conductors enter the panel thru 3 different connectors and it runs unprotected thru the attic and down the wall. Run underground to the unit with no disconnect... Pretty terrible
Attached Thumbnails
Today was clean up a huge mess day.-forumrunner_20120406_225138.jpg  

Today was clean up a huge mess day.-forumrunner_20120406_225202.jpg  

Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:31 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 4,042

I ain't working through lunch for only 4k, especially not in one of the **** hole resi attics we have here