Trade school or Grad school - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 02-20-2015, 12:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 3,090
Default Trade school or Grad school

Sitting here trying to gather my paperwork to do my taxes, and got to day dreaming. If you had the chance to do it all over again, what would you do?

Take the path of higher education and become an electrical engineer, or go to trade school and become an electrician.

I am sure everyone at this site, if resources were available, could have taken either path, and some may have taken both.

What would you do?

Borgi
51360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2015, 12:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,985

Interesting you say that Borgi. I am in the middle of trying to decide which path to continue. Right now I am a licensed electrician and have a B.Tech....but not an engineering degree.

I am trying to decide if I should go for the engineering degree...could take me as little as 2 years.

If I had to do it again, I would have done an Engineering Degree right after I did the Tech Degree.
AK_sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AK_sparky For This Useful Post:
51360 (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 12:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 24

Just from seeing what the engineers at my job have to go through, I'd take electrician any day of the week. Too much paperwork involved with engineering for my liking
ElectricianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2015, 12:43 PM   #4
Premium Member

Rewards Points: 163

Out of high school, I would have a BS degree instead of an AA. I don't know if my career would have changed. I also went to trade school and enjoyed it, but Engineering I don't think I could have completed all of the math required for it.
dronai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:57 PM   #5
Lep
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"

Rewards Points: 2,927

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronai View Post
Out of high school, I would have a BS degree instead of an AA. I don't know if my career would have changed. I also went to trade school and enjoyed it, but Engineering I don't think I could have completed all of the math required for it.
I'm in the same boat, but I say just get a math tutor.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:06 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,090

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronai View Post
Funny you mention math. When I was in college, a classmate was an electrical engineering drop out, because he struggled with the math. In college however, he was the " go to " guy in our calculus class.

Borgi
51360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:29 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 486

Going after an Electrical PE license is a long, hard, expensive road. Kinda like becoming a board certified doctor.

It may never pay off.

After 2 years in trade school you can make enough to live well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Semi-Ret Electrician is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Semi-Ret Electrician For This Useful Post:
51360 (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 01:54 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borgi View Post
If you had the chance to do it all over again, what would you do? Take the path of higher education and become an electrical engineer, or go to trade school and become an electrician.

Borgi
I wouldn't change a thing. I couldn't afford college out of high school so I got a factory job and several years later I got accepted into the industrial electrician apprenticeship program. That was truly the best thing to ever happen in my career.

After I completed the apprenticeship, obtained my journeyman's license, and then my masters, I decided to go back to school because tuition was fully covered by my employer and I didn't want to find myself one day old with health problems wishing I had taken advantage of earning a free academic education.

Iíve been plugging away at the bachelorís degree one class per semester for the better part of nine years now and have five more classes until graduation. A couple years ago I came to the conclusion that the degree would be more valuable if I had actual work experience, and about a year ago I transferred into our engineering department.

There are some days I really miss the day-to-day hands-on work, and spending a large part of my time tied to a desk has been a huge adjustment. However, I feel that by going down the path Iíve chosen Iíve given myself plenty of options for the future; although I really rather just win the lotto and retire.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michigan Master For This Useful Post:
51360 (02-20-2015), dronai (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 02:03 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 486

Those who do what you're doing are the most sought after folks in industry. Experience AND theory!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Semi-Ret Electrician is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Semi-Ret Electrician For This Useful Post:
Michigan Master (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 03:09 PM   #10
Coffee drinking member

Rewards Points: 6,600

I would still be doing what I am currently doing as I enjoy it.
I had the chance to go to law school and follow in my fathers footsteps as he offered to pay my way a few years ago.
I just couldn't see myself being a desk jockie and giving up a summer time, rooftop lunch.
Remember, some people pay big $$$ to live in a penthouse.