Trade uses for a drone - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree24Likes
  • 1 Post By micromind
  • 1 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 2 Post By daveEM
  • 1 Post By Service Call
  • 10 Post By Stickshaker
  • 2 Post By TGGT
  • 3 Post By Southeast Power
  • 3 Post By Southeast Power
  • 1 Post By CWDElectric

Old 06-08-2018, 07:20 PM   #1
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,673
Default Trade uses for a drone

I want to buy a cheap drone just to goof around with. You think I can use it to pull wire ?
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2018, 07:26 PM   #2
Vacated

Rewards Points: 2,844

use it to look in attics and places like that
Wiresmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:46 PM   #3
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,008

You can pull string across a drop ceiling to pull wire!

And spy on your sexy neighbor!

Just don't auto asphyxiate while checking her out!

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2018, 07:57 PM   #4
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 2,654

Perhaps it could be utilized to drop items onto the houses or even the persons who do not pay their bills.

This would be far more effective if the above-mentioned items were of the explosive type......
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:03 PM   #5
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromind View Post
Perhaps it could be utilized to drop items onto the houses or even the persons who do not pay their bills.

This would be far more effective if the above-mentioned items were of the explosive type......
ATF open the door before we kick it in!
micromind likes this.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:51 PM   #6
:-)

Rewards Points: 2,382

I'm getting my underground marked out... square city block, 5 buildings, couple of ponds, 5 onsite transformer pads, couple of surface parking lots with receptacles. etc.

You can fly the drone over the site taking a hi res video and then map a scaled version onto the site diagram.

The drone has to fly +33 meters and only allowed to point down. No looking at the +70 year old ladies. Watch the ducks and there are two geese that don't like drones. The gov will put you in jail if you harm the geese. The old ladies will burn your truck to the ground if you harm the ducks.

Call me when you are set up.

^^ This is a good idea. I get half the money just for thinking about it.
The_Modifier and 99cents like this.

I like perfect.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by daveEM; 06-08-2018 at 09:20 PM.
daveEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:22 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 28

You won’t be able to do much with a cheap drone, except watch it fly in the house. My drone can go over 4 miles away from me. I use it to cruise over the river. If you go looking for a drone look for one with GPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
99cents likes this.
Service Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:25 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 432

The only thing mine was good for was watching it takeoff for the first time at full throttle and not respond to any commands. It's blue lights were beautiful as it crested the dark, snowy horizon.
Stickshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:44 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,876

I saw one fly over my house the other day. I wanted to shoot it out of the sky.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
active1 and MTW like this.
TGGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:02 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 4,030

I have a buddy that is a GC and has been piloting a drone with software for roofing estimates. The drone video captures a rooftop, and sends the information to a server and it does the calculations for estimates and insurance claims.

He has gone from doing 4 estimates a day to about 12-15 a day. He had to jump through a large number of hoops to legally fly the thing, but he says it has been totally worth it.

The estimating software is really accurate too apparently. The only trouble it has is with low pitched roofs, can't quite tell if there is a valley or not, but that is not the drone, that is the video capture software.

The only thing I would think a drone would be good for in our line of work would be pole line inspection / maintenance. Perhaps you could use it for street light or parking lot illumination survey, looking for dark spots at night or something...

Cheers
John

Cheers
John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:08 PM   #11
86 45 20

Rewards Points: 8,146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyguy View Post
I have a buddy that is a GC and has been piloting a drone with software for roofing estimates. The drone video captures a rooftop, and sends the information to a server and it does the calculations for estimates and insurance claims.

He has gone from doing 4 estimates a day to about 12-15 a day. He had to jump through a large number of hoops to legally fly the thing, but he says it has been totally worth it.

The estimating software is really accurate too apparently. The only trouble it has is with low pitched roofs, can't quite tell if there is a valley or not, but that is not the drone, that is the video capture software.

The only thing I would think a drone would be good for in our line of work would be pole line inspection / maintenance. Perhaps you could use it for street light or parking lot illumination survey, looking for dark spots at night or something...

Cheers
John

Cheers
John
People do that with Google Maps and measure distance feature.
I measured for an 600 amp underground feeder and nailed it perfectly.
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:12 PM   #12
86 45 20

My son had one in his car. We didn't have an extension ladder. He was able to look around on the roof and get the data we needed for the condenser and makeup air mechanical loads.
Pretty cool.
MechanicalDVR, active1 and MikeFL like this.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:14 PM   #13
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southeast Power View Post
My son had one in his car. We didn't have an extension ladder. He was able to look around on the roof and get the data we needed for the condenser and makeup air mechanical loads.
Pretty cool.

That sounds awesome when you think about it!

Old 06-10-2018, 09:50 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 3,068

I'm seriously considering taking a 3 credit course on drones offered by a local university.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:56 AM   #15
Old Grumpy Bastard

Not too off topic but a friend of mine (licensed pilot) spent big bucks on a really nice drone with several cameras etc on it and on it's maiden flight he put it right into HV transmission wires and killed it.

If his wife ever knew!

Old 06-10-2018, 10:15 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 18

I will take a few site pics during a day of trenching for underground which I then hand a copy over to my customer for their reference and always keep a copy myself. My drone is nothing fancy, approx. $700 but takes 4K video and ranges approx. 300ft which could be further but works for myself.
daveEM likes this.
CWDElectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:50 AM   #17
86 45 20

We bid a local water and sewer project that had, right in the specs, a requirement of weekly aerial photos.
We didn't get the job, it went to someone out of town that bid what our gear package cost.