Transformer internal wiring question - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree17Likes
  • 1 Post By JasonCo
  • 2 Post By micromind
  • 2 Post By emtnut
  • 1 Post By telsa
  • 1 Post By JasonCo
  • 3 Post By micromind
  • 4 Post By B-Nabs
  • 3 Post By emtnut

Old 03-21-2017, 09:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,070
Default Transformer internal wiring question

Out of 80 questions that have been incredibly difficult, I'm down to 1 last question and as much as I've looked over it and have tried drawing it out, its got me stumped! I almost feel like none of them are correct based on the way the connections are. The only one that makes any sense at all to me is III.

The reason I say III is because that is the only one where the Neutral is connected for a Wye system. The other ones make no sense to me, although I guess I don't know a whole lot about this stuff. We have to read over 50 pages and I swear no where does it talk about this at all, its just a random question thrown into the homework... **** I hate posting a homework question but I'm ready to learn, not just get an answer. My goal is to learn, sorry for posting homework but I'm totally stuck and I'm too stubborn to just guess.. Also it defeats the purpose of school. Thanks for your help
splatz likes this.

Last edited by JasonCo; 03-21-2017 at 09:41 PM.
JasonCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2017, 10:34 PM   #2
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 2,684

III is most certainly a neutral, this is a basic standard Y connection.

II is also a neutral, this is a ∆ system with one transformer center-tapped for the neutral. Phase B is the high leg.

I has no neutral, it is a 3 3 wire grounded B system.
splatz and PlugsAndLights like this.

Last edited by micromind; 03-22-2017 at 12:28 AM.
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:55 PM   #3

Answer ended up not being C, thanks for your help though! I got III as a Y connection but the others had me stumped. Assumed they were Delta but unsure if they were correctly connected. So maybe B is the correct answer, sense I has no neutral. Idk these questions are just silly, sort of annoyed by a question like this, you just can't win...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2017, 11:10 PM   #4
Band Member

Rewards Points: 878

for I ... because they show 'to grounding electrode' , it is a corner grounded delta.
telsa and splatz like this.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:21 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25,908

The answer is "C."

So typical.

Corner grounded delta ( 240, 240, 0 )
Center tapped delta (480::240/120)
Classic delta-wye transformer (480::208Y120)
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:22 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25,908

I'm starting to worry about you.
glen1971 likes this.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by telsa View Post
The answer is "C."

So typical.

Corner grounded delta ( 240, 240, 0 )
Center tapped delta (480::240/120)
Classic delta-wye transformer (480::208Y120)
I thought so too But got it incorrect
micromind likes this.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:23 AM   #8
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 2,684

But you learned why you got it wrong.

You learned something about neutrals today, that knowledge will be needed somewhere down the line.

Too often, our society looks at the end result while ignoring the journey to get there. When you know why something is the way it is, then you've mastered it.

In about the 4rd grade, I came to the conclusion that people who could figure things out were smarter (and more valuable) than those who simply knew the answer. This knowledge has served me pretty well over the last half-century.
glen1971, emtnut and splatz like this.
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:24 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,592

So you are telling these guys it is wrong but you will not tell them what the answer is you got from class.
kg7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:33 AM   #10
Watt Pusher

Rewards Points: 466

I think the answer is b. Connection I doesn't have a neutral, it's a corner grounded delta. Only II and III have neutrals, so the answer is b, not c.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg7879 View Post
So you are telling these guys it is wrong but you will not tell them what the answer is you got from class.
Sorry the correct answer is B. I just don't really like the question :/. Because all 3 diagrams are correctly drawn, that's why I put C as my answer.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:10 PM   #12
Band Member

Rewards Points: 878

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCo View Post
Sorry the correct answer is B. I just don't really like the question :/. Because all 3 diagrams are correctly drawn, that's why I put C as my answer.
Yes, All 3 diagrams are valid Xformer connections !

The question was which ones are valid Neutrals.

Only 2 and 3 were valid neutrals
micromind, glen1971 and splatz like this.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote