Troubleshoot question (Ohm's law?) - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By brian john
  • 1 Post By readydave8
  • 3 Post By brian john
  • 2 Post By Bird dog
  • 1 Post By Rora
  • 1 Post By B-Nabs

Old 09-19-2018, 07:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,070
Default Troubleshoot question (Ohm's law?)

Had a question about about ohm's law, I think...? So I'm called out to do troubleshoot why some office receptacles have strange voltage. They say the voltage keeps jumping erratically from like 90-115v. I got there during lunch, no one was on their computer, all the computers were shut off. Got out my meter, checked the voltage and everything was 120v, normal... No jumping around or nothing.

Then one of the guys came back from lunch and told me his computer keeps giving him a warning message that there is a voltage issue and then it shuts down... So hmm... I ask him to turn his computer on, and sure enough it does it. Then I put my meter back into the receptacle, ask him to turn on his computer, and sure enough voltage starts jumping around from 90-115v...

I thought most likely there is something wrong with his computer that is causing this? I tried another computer and it did the same thing...

So I ended up going to the panel and started to investigate there first. Sure enough, the breaker was bad. It acted like a good breaker, but when I pulled it off the panel to further inspect it, corrosion started poring out of it, every part of it was corroded, it even started to just chip apart. Anyways, I replaced the breaker, did an amp test to make sure when they are up and running, it's not being overloaded. Everything checked out fine and everyone had 120v and boom, job is done.

I just have a question about that. So the breaker had a high amount of resistance going through it. It was a normal 120v circuit when there was no load on the wire, but whenever I put a load on the wire, the voltage would start jumping around from 90-115v. This has to do with ohm's law? V=I x R? Idk, why does the voltage start going haywire ONLY when there is current applied? Also if V=I x R is true, why does voltage go down when there is resistance. If current lets say = 1, and R (resistance) keeps going up, then according to the equation, voltage would also go up? Hmm... Doesn't seam right, what am I confused on?
JasonCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2018, 07:45 PM   #2
Russian Bot

Rewards Points: 3,749

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCo View Post
I just have a question about that. So the breaker had a high amount of resistance going through it. It was a normal 120v circuit when there was no load on the wire, but whenever I put a load on the wire, the voltage would start jumping around from 90-115v. This has to do with ohm's law? V=I x R? Idk, why does the voltage start going haywire ONLY when there is current applied? Also if V=I x R is true, why does voltage go down when there is resistance. If current lets say = 1, and R (resistance) keeps going up, then according to the equation, voltage would also go up? Hmm... Doesn't seam right, what am I confused on?

It's a lose connection. Is your meter a wiggy?
Old 09-19-2018, 07:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
It's a lose connection. Is your meter a wiggy?
I just have a regular Ideal clamp on meter, nothing too special. What do you mean loose connection? The problem was a bad breaker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2018, 08:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,486

Quote:
I just have a regular Ideal clamp on meter, nothing too special. What do you mean loose connection? The problem was a bad breaker
Resistance changes.
The_Modifier likes this.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:41 PM   #5
neutral member

Rewards Points: 564

When does resistance not cause voltage drop? I think maybe never.
brian john likes this.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:45 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,486

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
Resistance changes.
If you had a fairly decent DMM you could have watched the resistance change by measuring the Voltage Drop across the CB.
The_Modifier, Gnome and 51360 like this.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:45 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 120

Quote:

The breaker likely went bad BECAUSE of a loose connection.
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:46 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,318

Quote:
A loose connection inside the breaker that changes resistace depending on the load. This type of problem is also seen with loose neutral connections.
When the connection has more resistance, there is voltage drop across the connection just like a resistor. So, when the voltage dropped to 90volts, if you put one lead on the busbar & the other lead on the wire terminal of said breaker you would read 30volts (120v-90v=30v). You've just measured the contact resistance of the breaker. You do the same thing on a contactor to see if the contacts are good.
Gnome and Chops146 like this.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:05 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 942

I can not think of the correct way to explain this problem but there is no surprise that the more load you add the lower the voltage will go after the point of resistance
gpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:48 PM   #10

Ah yeah that makes sense. When you break a neutral completely, you read 120 on the neutral, and 0 on the hot. So if there is a lot of resistance on the neutral, you'd read voltage on both the neutral and the hot, didn't think about that though. Makes sense!

Only thing I don't understand. If your neutral is 100% good, no resistance at all. Your breaker though has a ton of resistance, like in my scenario. V = I x R is Ohm's law. So how is this possible that voltage goes DOWN when you ADD resistance? That would contradict the equation. I do know that the more resistance you have, the less voltage but wtf is up with V = I x R? Makes no sense to me
Old 09-19-2018, 09:53 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,318

Draw it out on paper. Btw, the Total Voltage did not drop.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:53 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 680

Kirchhoff's voltage law... voltage drop is proportional to resistance. Without any load, the circuit is not complete (infinite resistance between hot and neutral), therefore you'll see the majority of the voltage drop at the receptacle. Put on a load (PC power supply) and the resistance of the breaker corrosion takes a noticeable portion of the voltage drop.

In other words, no load circuit means ratio of infinite:breaker corrosion in terms of resistance and therefore voltage, so you see all the voltage at the receptacle. Put a load on the circuit and you're talking power supply resistance:breaker corrosion and you'll see more drop in the breaker.
Chops146 likes this.

Last edited by Rora; 09-19-2018 at 09:56 PM.
Rora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:37 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,032

When I read the symptoms, first thing I thought was loose neutral.
Chops146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:19 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 416

Dude.. Ohms law says a good breaker is 0 ohms

You wrote, "when I pulled it off the panel to further inspect it, corrosion started poring out of it"

Probably aluminum bus or cheap metal on the panel buss, you need a new panel or panel insert.

Do not ignore this issue -- quote them, it might cost $2k parts + labor, close it or have your boss close it, FIX IT, and be done with it.

Philip

[I love Cricket]

Last edited by philipdybel; 09-20-2018 at 02:28 AM.
philipdybel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:58 AM   #15
Watt Pusher

Rewards Points: 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipdybel View Post
Dude.. Ohms law says a good breaker is 0 ohms

You wrote, "when I pulled it off the panel to further inspect it, corrosion started poring out of it"

Probably aluminum bus or cheap metal on the panel buss, you need a new panel or panel insert.

Do not ignore this issue -- quote them, it might cost $2k parts + labor, close it or have your boss close it, FIX IT, and be done with it.

Philip

[I love Cricket]
"Ohm's law states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm's_law

Pretty sure it doesn't say a word about breakers anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2018, 03:35 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 416

Bnab, really?

Forget Ohms Law -- what resistance do you expect to see between the line & load terminals of a circuit breaker?

[Remember I Love Cricket]
philipdybel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:38 AM   #17
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 1,421

Quote:
Bnab, really?

Forget Ohms Law -- what resistance do you expect to see between the line & load terminals of a circuit breaker?

Unless you're measuring with a DLRO, by the time you read something on a DMM, the breaker is already trash.

Oh, and if you really loved Cricket, you'd take her camping like some of the other guys.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:00 AM   #18
Watt Pusher

Rewards Points: 466

Quote:
Bnab, really?

I am merely responding to your statement that "Ohms law says a good breaker is 0 ohm". It does not say that. Ohm's Law says that there is a proportional relationship between voltage and current. I'm not taking issue with the idea that there should be negligible resistance between the line and load of a breaker.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
HackWork likes this.