Electrician Talk banner

Tutorial - Opinions Please

1K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Zog 
#1 ·
So, we've got some small generators with no AVR or governor where the operators control every generator function. Long story short, it's become apparent the operators need a refresher in what "power factor" is and how it effects the units, and it's fallen on me to try and write a tutorial for them.

Ironically, it's also a topic that has a bit of mystery for me, but I did the best I could. :blink:

I'm looking for two opinions:

Electrical wizards:
Are there any unforgivable technical errors? Keeping in mind, I took a lot of liberties to try and make it very simple (like not even mentioning leading PF). These guys ain't electricians, let alone engineers.

The amateurs like me:
How easy do you find this to understand? Is there anything I can clarify or explain better?

PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 PAGE 5

(Don't worry, it's not 5 pages of words, it has pictures :laughing:)

-John

See less See more
#8 ·
Big John said:
Is it too simple? I've re-read it too many times, I'm not even sure if it gets the point across.

-John
I'll put it this way, John. It seems to illustrate the point better than just the words then the instructor just throws the trig at ya! A lot of folks get confused when angles enter the picture, and a lot of instructors out there have problems with being that "down-to-earth" when trying to illustrate things like that.

Sent from my iPhone using ET Forum

#10 ·
Its pretty clear (granted I'm studying this right now in school too), the way you have laid it out.
Depending on your goal, I would say that the last page would suffice depending on your target audience. What I mean by that is that some, IMO, will be better off following rules than working on theory. Adding the theory may just complicate things for some (read: "I don't know how it got in the bottle but I put this stuff on hot dogs").

Either way the info is there and it reads clearly.:thumbsup:

#11 ·
...Depending on your goal, I would say that the last page would suffice depending on your target audience....
I got all the way through it, and as soon as I'd finished the last page, I realized I could've just said "Watch the amps, dammit!" and it would've served the purpose.

I'm sorta hoping it'll be a "teach a man to fish" kinda thing.

-John

#13 ·
Doesn't your generator system have a demand meter and give you a KVA reading? If it did, all they have to do is watch that and make sure you're within your range, like you said, "watch the amp".

I like your example with the elephant and train. I'm stealing it next time I've got to teach power factor to the second years. :thumbup:

#14 ·
SteveO. said:
Doesn't your generator system have a demand meter and give you a KVA reading? If it did, all they have to do is watch that and make sure you're within your range, like you said, "watch the amp".

I like your example with the elephant and train. I'm stealing it next time I've got to teach power factor to the second years. :thumbup:
I remember a long time ago having to run 3208 cat generators with an amp meter it was marked up with a sharpie...set it and leave it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.