Two 100amp breakers on same leg? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree25Likes

Old 10-07-2019, 05:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8
Default Two 100amp breakers on same leg?

Hi everyone, I'm a complete novice compared to you all, and I figured you could make quick work of this question:

I'm in the process of identifying/labelling circuits in the house we bought last year, since the old labels aren't overly accurate or descriptive. When opening up the panel, I see that there are two 100amp breakers.. not one on each leg, but on top of each other.

Can anyone here give me a brief description of my setup?

Here is an image of my panel,
https://photos.app.goo.gl/w3XKDoWJyYWiHi176

Last edited by Dennis Alwon; 10-07-2019 at 07:32 PM.
sl0flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2019, 05:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 998

You need to see an electrician.
The_Modifier likes this.
acro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 404

This site is for electrical pros only. Please post on... https://www.diychatroom.com/
The_Modifier likes this.

Popcorn munching forum observer
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." Sun Tzu
Bird dog is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bird dog For This Useful Post:
The_Modifier (10-07-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2019, 06:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 8

OK well, perhaps someone here is willing to spare 2 minutes to look at the picture. Thanks in advance.
sl0flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:48 PM   #5
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 487

I have no idea what is going on.

It seems like someone backfed a 100A breaker to feed a larger sized split-bus panel. The feeder looks newer than the rest of the wiring.

Get an electrician in there to replace the panel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:50 PM   #6
Electron Pathway Engineer

Rewards Points: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl0flyer View Post
OK well, perhaps someone here is willing to spare 2 minutes to look at the picture. Thanks in advance.
While you're trying to upload the picture, please read the user sign up agreement before asking why you can't upload pictures.
99cents and Kevin_Essiambre like this.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:35 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 870

Now I am that much closer to having seen everything.
Signal1 likes this.
joe-nwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:39 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,546

For lack of any other explanation I must agree it is a split buss. The wires that go behind the buss must be connected to the lower part of the buss. The main breaker is not really necessary at all- it's redundant in this case
Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:40 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,546

I will leave it open for discussion purposes
emtnut likes this.
Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Alwon For This Useful Post:
Southeast Power (10-07-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 08:06 PM   #10
Band Member

Rewards Points: 1,664

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
I will leave it open for discussion purposes
Thanks Dennis ... I'm curious now too. Op is not DIY'ing just wants to map his circuits.

My best guess is a split panel, and the top 100A breaker is just to feed the 40A to the right of it ??

Weird how the 100A (which should feed the buss) is looped around to the top MLO terms.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:14 PM   #11
Mensa Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtnut View Post
Thanks Dennis ... I'm curious now too. Op is not DIY'ing just wants to map his circuits.

My best guess is a split panel, and the top 100A breaker is just to feed the 40A to the right of it ??

Weird how the 100A (which should feed the buss) is looped around to the top MLO terms.
It’s not feeding the lugs at the top. Those conductors coming out of the large 100 Amp breaker Loop up and then back down behind all the breakers to the lower part of the panel. You can see the conductor in the back if you look underneath the large 100 amp breaker. That is the factory way to feed the lower half of the split bus panel.

That small 100 amp breaker is feeding the entire panel.
cdslotz, emtnut and gpop like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to HackWork For This Useful Post:
Southeast Power (10-07-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 08:18 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 3,398

Edit: Hax beat me to it.
emtnut likes this.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:09 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,062

If the long 100amp breaker was always there with the wires looped around and down to feed the lower buss, and the short 100 amp breaker is now the Main for the whole panel, is it possible that someone came in and didn’t understand how a split buss panel works?

In other words a home inspector or inexperienced electrician saw the original set up and said “this is an illegal setup”. “It needs a main breaker”. Not realizing that the top breakers grouped together were all main service disconnects. By the way, is there anything marked on the cover as a main disconnect? Usually the “Main service disconnect” is a sticker on the breaker, and the circuit directory has the loads description. I only see a furnace sticker.
micromind likes this.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:10 PM   #14
Band Member

Rewards Points: 1,664

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
It’s not feeding the lugs at the top. Those conductors coming out of the large 100 Amp breaker Loop up and then back down behind all the breakers to the lower part of the panel. You can see the conductor in the back if you look underneath the large 100 amp breaker. That is the factory way to feed the lower half of the split bus panel.

That small 100 amp breaker is feeding the entire panel.
Your eyes are better than mine ... I had to look 10 times and then I saw the top conductors going behind. I thought it was on the top at first look.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:16 PM   #15
Mensa Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by HertzHound View Post
If the long 100amp breaker was always there with the wires looped around and down to feed the lower buss, and the short 100 amp breaker is now the Main for the whole panel, is it possible that someone came in and didn’t understand how a split buss panel works?

In other words a home inspector or inexperienced electrician saw the original set up and said “this is an illegal setup”. “It needs a main breaker”. Not realizing that the top breakers grouped together were all main service disconnects. By the way, is there anything marked on the cover as a main disconnect? Usually the “Main service disconnect” is a sticker on the breaker, and the circuit directory has the loads description. I only see a furnace sticker.
Those conductors feeding the panel look new and smaller than what would be run through that pipe. For some reason I have a feeling that the original feed was 150 or 200 A and landed on the main lugs. Then for some reason they changed it to a 100 and feed and backfed the 100 amp breaker.
HertzHound likes this.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:22 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 1,062

The other day someone showed a picture of a new Square D generator ready panel. How is that panel legal. It looked like the old split buss panels. I could see if there were two feeds in the panel. But this has one buss being fed from another buss in the same enclosure?
Old 10-07-2019, 11:05 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 26,360

The second DP breaker at the upper right ( poles 6,8) could be omitted if the bottom bus was fed via the top ex-Mains lugs.

Logically, poles (2,4) are being back-fed. They energize the top buss. This includes energizing the MLO bus extension seen at the top.

It's not evident, but I suspect that poles (6,8) are off of a reduced breaker, say 50-60 Amps.

Then the wiring would make sense.

This MLO set-up probably has a disconnecting means up the line.

So the 100 Amp breaker really is redundant -- as noted above.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:53 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 3,398

My take is that this is a split bus panel that has been converted into a main breaker panel. Other than being a little confusing to the uninitiated, I think it's a good way to avoid ripping out what is otherwise a functional panel. All the split bus panels I've ever seen had no way to disconnect them besides pulling the meter and needed to be ripped out. This little workaround was a money saver.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:53 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 930

That main breaker looks like a 125A. Anything over 100A on SQ goes to this frame size
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.
cdslotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:56 AM   #20
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 2,932

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdslotz View Post
That main breaker looks like a 125A. Anything over 100A on SQ goes to this frame size
When this panel was originally installed, anything 70 and higher was the long style.
cdslotz and Kevin_Essiambre like this.
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote