Typical nut sizes for pole bases? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree28Likes

Old 06-08-2019, 05:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,070
Default Typical nut sizes for pole bases?

Up until recently, I've always been a helper and have had to use whatever the Journeyman throws at me for tightening and loosening the bolts at pole bases for lights that you see in parking lots and what not. It's always been a giant adjustable wrench with a cheater bar or a giant pair of channellocks. Now that I have a van, I'm looking to invest in some sockets instead. I was just wondering what size nuts you typically see at light pole bases? The poles I work on are typically something like 30ft - 40ft poles give or take. Sometimes less, sometimes more.

I'm just going to buy a set online, I just don't know what sizes to buy. Thanks for your help!
JasonCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2019, 07:56 PM   #2
Small Potatoes

Rewards Points: 3,498

If memory serves me, they are 3/4 to 1". I think.
flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:44 PM   #3
RSE Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 632

I was on a service van for many years and bought my own sockets and cheater bar for light posts. These were individual sockets, not in a set. I still have them and just looked, they are 1”1/8 and 1”1/4
MikeFL likes this.
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2019, 09:44 PM   #4

Thanks, I think you're pretty spot on. I forgot that I could basically search "anchor bolt" and it seams like 1" and 3/4" are just about what is used. Appreciate the help!

Edit: Awesome thanks Incognito. Will make sure I have those as well!
Old 06-08-2019, 09:50 PM   #5
RSE Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 632

I’m sure many post bolts are 1” and smaller as well, which come in most socket sets, but I definitely bought those individual ones for posts at one time because my set only went up to 1” and I needed them.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:53 PM   #6
Modrateur

Rewards Points: 16,780

I have work on parking lot luminaires abit so I am famuair with the size

typically one inch or larger nuts so expect that the shorter poiles will use 7!8 or one inch nuts but larger one use 1 1!8 or 1 1!4 but few I ran into are inch and half but once a blue moon you will slam into metric verison ( common in my area ) useally 25 or 30mm is norm to use it.

get them in 3!4 inch socket driver they will hold up better than common half inch socket driver. I have both 3/4 and inch drivers on hand so I can deal some pretty big arse units.
JasonCo likes this.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
I have work on parking lot luminaires abit so I am famuair with the size

typically one inch or larger nuts so expect that the shorter poiles will use 7!8 or one inch nuts but larger one use 1 1!8 or 1 1!4 but few I ran into are inch and half but once a blue moon you will slam into metric verison ( common in my area ) useally 25 or 30mm is norm to use it.

get them in 3!4 inch socket driver they will hold up better than common half inch socket driver. I have both 3/4 and inch drivers on hand so I can deal some pretty big arse units.
Perfect, thanks! I was looking at some sets on Amazon that come in a 3/4" drive, and then I noticed a set that was 1"... I'd go with the overkill but they are like $250+. The 3/4" I'm looking at is $137 with crazy good reviews
https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-4-Inch...ct_top?ie=UTF8
Old 06-08-2019, 10:41 PM   #8
Modrateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCo View Post
Perfect, thanks! I was looking at some sets on Amazon that come in a 3/4" drive, and then I noticed a set that was 1"... I'd go with the overkill but they are like $250+. The 3/4" I'm looking at is $137 with crazy good reviews
https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-4-Inch...ct_top?ie=UTF8
Check out the Habor Fright or one of tool supply centre they should have them on hand with reasonable price.

Make sure you get the cheater or breaker bar along with that. ( you will use the breaker bar more often to get them loosen up )

and the toqure valve to lock them down typically 350 plus footpounds check the specs on the achor bolts and size of them that will change a bit.

that why I use 3/4 inch driver often. I just got done with one not too long ago with 12 meter pole that need almost 500 ft lbs toqure to lock it down.
flyboy likes this.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:48 PM   #9
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 2,582

Generally speaking, the nut on a 3/4" bolt will be 1 - 1/8". If it's a 'heavy' nut (fairly common on light poles) it'll be 1 - 1/4"

For a 7/8" bolt, standard would be 1 - 5/16". Heavy is 1 - 7/16"

A 1 " bolt will be 1 - 1/2". Heavy is 1 - 5/8".

Sometimes, for smaller poles, you'll see 5/8" bolts. The nut size here is 15/16" and 1 - 1/16".
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:54 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,714

This guy just learned more than he wanted to about nut sizes.
Ouch!

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/seatt...-ball-to-groin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFL View Post
This guy just learned more than he wanted to about nut sizes.
Ouch!

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/seatt...-ball-to-groin
Damn, he suffered a ruptured testicle and basically brushes it off and gets ready for the next pitch lol, wtf... This is why I'll never be a pro at any sport.

@micromind Damn good information, thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to JasonCo For This Useful Post:
micromind (06-09-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 05:32 AM   #12
Small Potatoes

Rewards Points: 3,498

It's obvious you guys are just "nuts".
flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:05 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 686

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromind View Post
Generally speaking, the nut on a 3/4" bolt will be 1 - 1/8". If it's a 'heavy' nut (fairly common on light poles) it'll be 1 - 1/4"

For a 7/8" bolt, standard would be 1 - 5/16". Heavy is 1 - 7/16"

A 1 " bolt will be 1 - 1/2". Heavy is 1 - 5/8".

Sometimes, for smaller poles, you'll see 5/8" bolts. The nut size here is 15/16" and 1 - 1/16".
With a few exceptions, a utility size nut is 1 1/2 x the diameter of the bolt. A heavy or 2H nut is 1 1/2 x the diameter + 1/8.
splatz (06-09-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 08:05 AM   #14
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 3,726

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCo View Post
wtf... This is why I'll never be a pro at any sport.
Same here, the inability to disregard testicle injury is what kept me out of the big leagues. That, and the lack of athletic talent.
JasonCo and CoolWill like this.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:20 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,016

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
Same here, the inability to disregard testicle injury is what kept me out of the big leagues. That, and the lack of athletic talent.
This guy ruptured his nut in the 3rd inning and stuck it out four more innings... What a wimp. He should have just walked it off and finished the game. If he loses that nut, he can always buy a Sprinter and start hanging ceiling fans.
macmikeman and splatz like this.
splatz (06-09-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 08:31 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolwill View Post
this guy ruptured his nut in the 3rd inning and stuck it out four more innings... What a wimp. He should have just walked it off and finished the game. If he loses that nut, he can always buy a sprinter and start hanging ceiling fans.
Typical nut sizes for pole bases?-screen-shot-2019-06-09-8.31.00-am.png
Old 06-09-2019, 08:58 AM   #17
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 3,726

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460 Delta View Post
With a few exceptions, a utility size nut is 1 1/2 x the diameter of the bolt. A heavy or 2H nut is 1 1/2 x the diameter + 1/8.
I did not know that! That's a lot easier than searching the internet to look it up every time.

To the OP - my advice would be, unless you are pretty sure you are going to use all these sizes regularly, maybe don't buy the set, just buy quality stuff in the size or sizes you need now, add the others later.

If you need to be ready on the spot when the need arises for all the sizes, yes, buy the set.

But, you buy the set and find out something's metric, or you find your set skips 1-7/16 and that's what you need, or etc., and you still wind up buying or borrowing singles.

If it's not something you need the same day, singles are usually not that bad to buy on the internet. Unless you can borrow them, which I usually can. At the local industrial supply, you might as well just leave your wallet in your pants and give them your pants if you have to buy singles. But it's still way ahead of buying a set full of stuff you never use.

I have too many "sets" I bought that 10 or more years later, all but two sizes still have the factory dust on them, never been used. And that's if they don't get lost, stolen, or permanently borrowed.
CoolWill likes this.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:34 PM   #18
Modrateur

The other item you will need it often is wire brush wheel cuz you will have to knock some rust off the threads before you remove the nuts off the bolts that will make a big difference on the time you save.
micromind and JasonCo like this.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:55 PM   #19
Trained Monkey

Rewards Points: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
The other item you will need it often is wire brush wheel cuz you will have to knock some rust off the threads before you remove the nuts off the bolts that will make a big difference on the time you save.

Wire brush...or a can of brake clean and a blow torch to burn the crud off.
frenchelectrican likes this.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:09 PM   #20
Coffee drinking member

Rewards Points: 5,456

Just go big

But they are pricy..
Attached Images