Unauthorized use of Journeyman Electician License - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 02-08-2015, 10:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Unauthorized use of Journeyman Electician License

Hello All,

I registered to this site because I need to get some advice or suggestions on a situation.
I am a journeyman electrician in Texas, and I have reason to believe my license is being used illegally by someone. Is there anything I can do to make sure this does not happen?
The reason I believe my license is being used is because when I first got my license in 2013, I sent a picture of my license to a family member who is a general contractor. I sent the picture of my license because I was proud to have earned it, not thinking that my license number was in the picture. During a conversation I had with my family member he stated he was using my license to do electrical work (he said it in a joking way, but I really think he is using it). I do not want him to get in trouble, but I also don't want him using it because I worked too hard to get it for someone to just be benefiting from my license.
Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
seabee133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2015, 10:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,512

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee133 View Post
Hello All,

I registered to this site because I need to get some advice or suggestions on a situation.
I am a journeyman electrician in Texas, and I have reason to believe my license is being used illegally by someone. Is there anything I can do to make sure this does not happen?
The reason I believe my license is being used is because when I first got my license in 2013, I sent a picture of my license to a family member who is a general contractor. I sent the picture of my license because I was proud to have earned it, not thinking that my license number was in the picture. During a conversation I had with my family member he stated he was using my license to do electrical work (he said it in a joking way, but I really think he is using it). I do not want him to get in trouble, but I also don't want him using it because I worked too hard to get it for someone to just be benefiting from my license.

Go to the authorities responsible for issuing electrical licences and get a new licence with a new number on it.
You can tell them why, if you wish, or not ?
but they probably would like to know why ?
And he could well be in deep do do !
And so he should be !
Do it ASAP as you now could carry legal responsibility
for his work !
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,018

Sounds like he is commiting fraud using your name(allegedly)
Nice family ! Seriously tell him you will seek legal action if this is in fact happening
NacBooster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2015, 11:00 PM   #4

DMX and NAC,

Thank you both for replying - I appreciate it. Like I stated, I want to get this resolved without getting him in trouble since he is a close family member.

Another question: If something goes wrong with an electrical install and my license number was used....could I be held liable?
Old 02-08-2015, 11:16 PM   #5
RIP 1959-2015

Location: Reporting From Fenway Park Home of the Boston Red Sox....
Rewards Points: 180

Quote:
Hello All,

Check with each city or town he's working in and find out who pulled the electrical permits, if they say that you did then you will have to have him charged with this crime, every job he does on your number you are liable for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Black Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:17 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,234

Quote:
DMX and NAC,

Thank you both for replying - I appreciate it. Like I stated, I want to get this resolved without getting him in trouble since he is a close family member.

Another question: If something goes wrong with an electrical install and my license number was used....could I be held liable?
if you gave them permission or knew it was being used and didn't report it yes, otherwise no, IMO
360max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:23 PM   #7
Premium Member

Rewards Points: 175

Your in Texas right ? Put on a pair of pointy boots and stick them up his ass !
dronai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dronai For This Useful Post:
daveEM (02-09-2015), derekwalls (02-09-2015), John Valdes (02-09-2015), pete87 (02-09-2015)
Old 02-08-2015, 11:31 PM   #8
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 6,520

Quote:
Yep. Insurance companies love to find someone else's insurance to go after. One of the first things they look for are permits.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:40 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2

In Texas a journeyman electrician can't do electrical work without doing the work under a master (and in most cases a contractor). The only electrical work he can be doing under your license is to be working as a journeyman for a contractor. At that point, the employer would be guilty of hiring an undocumented worker because they didn't check all of the required credentials in order to hire him and not know it wasn't you.
kddkgd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kddkgd For This Useful Post:
cabletie (02-09-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 12:01 AM   #10

Kddkgg,

What you said is exactly the problem. He is a contractor and he doesn't work for anyone. He does additions and remodel type work so he does not have a boss. I know that with my license I can only work under a master or a contractor. I just need to get a new license number, but I don't know how to go about doing it without having to explain to TDLR my reason.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:13 AM   #11
RIP 1959-2015

Location: Reporting From Fenway Park Home of the Boston Red Sox....
Rewards Points: 180

Quote:
Kddkgg,

What you said is exactly the problem. He is a contractor and he doesn't work for anyone. He does additions and remodel type work so he does not have a boss. I know that with my license I can only work under a master or a contractor. I just need to get a new license number, but I don't know how to go about doing it without having to explain to TDLR my reason.
Why does a General Contractor have the right to do what a master electrician has the authority to do?. A general contractor is not an electrician.

Black Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Black Dog For This Useful Post:
360max (02-09-2015), derekwalls (02-09-2015), sbrn33 (02-10-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 01:10 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 74

Quote:
Hello All,

find out what counties he's working in, and see if any permits have been pulled in those areas on your licenses number.

if they have, i'd call him and tell him to that protect yourself, you are going to report the license number stolen, and he's on his own.

he's upset you'd do that? tough ****. he committed fraud. **** him.
ElectronFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:03 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronai View Post
Your in Texas right ? Put on a pair of pointy boots and stick them up his ass !
Old West Justice, Baby!!1
derekwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:16 AM   #14
Light Emitting Decoration

Rewards Points: 1,820

At the very least, I'd get him to confess to everything that was done with your license if it's just once or twice. Personally check the work so you know what was done under your name is completed to what you would consider satisfactory and get him to agree to pay the cost if corrections are necessary. Bill him for your actual cost, like materials, vehicle use, etc so he won't claim you used it as an opportunity to make money off of him and consider yourself generous for letting it slide.

If he's pulled a whole bunch, I'd file a police report just so it's documented.

You're liable for the work the same way you're when you knowingly fail to report a vehicle stolen and it's involved in an accident.

Last edited by Electric_Light; 02-09-2015 at 02:18 AM.
Electric_Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:50 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,274

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddkgd View Post
In Texas a journeyman electrician can't do electrical work without doing the work under a master (and in most cases a contractor). The only electrical work he can be doing under your license is to be working as a journeyman for a contractor. At that point, the employer would be guilty of hiring an undocumented worker because they didn't check all of the required credentials in order to hire him and not know it wasn't you.
Ever since 911 that has become a big thing. A lot more paperwork for new hires.
cabletie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:18 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 1,274

Quote:
Kddkgg,

Can you pull permits with a journeyman's license? If not how else would he be using it?

"Are you liable", what type of insurance do you have to carry with a journeyman's license?

In NJ only electrical contractors carry insurance and stamp permits. They hire electricians (not journeymen) from the newspaper, or other sources. The electrical contractor takes on all liability.

In NJ, a builder would never be able to pull an electrical permit with a journeyman's card. Any electrical work a builder would do without a permit would be on him. Not anyone else. If a builder got caught doing electrical work without a permit or electrical contractors license, the last thing they would ever ask for would be a journeymen's license.

If you are liable and that worried about it, then I would not worry about getting your cousin in trouble.
cabletie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:14 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 134

I may be missing something here but I didn't know that Journeyman status could pull permits. I know you can't in MI. The only way you get a permit from any city or county is proof you are an Electrical Contractor. You must be registered in the city or county and take a test if required. The only time my license is shown is if you get carded on a job by the Electrical Inspector.
Sparky48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:16 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 8,720

Quote:
Hello All,

Hey uncle Joe,
You jokingly mentioned that you were using my license for electrical work.
I mentioned this to my attorney and he suggested I jokingly send you a Ceast and Desist letter via certified mail.
Nothing personal, just business.
See you at the rodeo,

Your Nephew,
Seabee
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:35 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 1,284

Your license number is actually public information that can be looked up on the TDLRs License Data Search.
http://www.tdlr.texas.gov/LicenseSearch/

E-mailing a photographed/scanned image of your card might enable him to make a crappy forgery; however, as others have said in order for him to actually use your journeyman license he must still be working under the general supervision of a master electrician, on behalf of an electrical contractor. A journeyman does not have authority to actually pull permits.

I think hes pulling your leg.
If not, Id file a complaint.
https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/Complaints/
Old 02-09-2015, 01:55 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 952

A Journeyman cannot pull permits in Texas....So if he's working under a Master who is a contractor...the Master is liable

Also....why are you afraid to explain the reason to TDLR?
cdslotz is offline   Reply With Quote