Under slab - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 05-25-2019, 07:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 56

How do you all like doing under slab work ? Any good methods or techniques you enjoy using ?
Attached Thumbnails
Under slab-75f95308-d6c9-4b30-8421-e9dce7404952_1558828331609.jpg  

mpcxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2019, 09:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,788

Did that work for years. Early days.
Work looks great. Strip mall?
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:20 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,181

It's great until an overzealous concrete finisher shears your stubs off with a power trowel
samgregger is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2019, 02:23 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,544

I've done my share but not a lot really. I always looked forward to see if I actually put them where they belong. I'd say I was 99% correct?
The last one was a 30, 4inch duct bank into one of our Field Electric Centers.

Tim.
canbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:06 AM   #5
86 45 20

Rewards Points: 8,146

This is our Carvana job. We are trying to get as much in the slab as possible, The power in the foreground, server room in the background.

This not well shown is the 4" for the utility or the 3- 4" for the data. The Statement amount for the job this month for PVC is over $5,000

Server room looking towards the electric room.

Last edited by Southeast Power; 05-27-2019 at 06:19 AM.
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:08 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,092

Use spacers and tie wire the conduit to it.....4 inch spacers are fine for large jobs that will have conduit from 4 inch down to 1/2 inch
http://www.alliedeg.us/pvc/duct-spacers/
bostonPedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:38 AM   #7
MTW

Rewards Points: 8,312

I've never done this work so I'm curious about a few things - how do you go about the measurements? Do you have to measure the entire foundation first to verify that it's built to plan, then go from there? Are measurements for conduits shown on drawings, or do you just go by wall locations from the framing plan? And how do you do that actual measurements? Obviously I know about the old school way of using long metal tape measures and checking from both directions but are there new ways with digital surveying equipment?
MTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:59 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,092

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTW View Post
I've never done this work so I'm curious about a few things - how do you go about the measurements? Do you have to measure the entire foundation first to verify that it's built to plan, then go from there? Are measurements for conduits shown on drawings, or do you just go by wall locations from the framing plan? And how do you do that actual measurements? Obviously I know about the old school way of using long metal tape measures and checking from both directions but are there new ways with digital surveying equipment?
Drawings differ but usually they just have the conduit top location by that I mean where it 90's up and a distance off a set object. More detailed drawings as I saw on a very large tunnel project have more information and detail and looked more like the drawings of pipefitters which are damn impressive to say the least. A newer method is to use a Trimble which uses global satellites to pinpoint exact locations( they do however have to be recalibrated which many companies forget to do)
bostonPedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:27 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 56

Conduit locations are decided upon where we think good locations are to “pick up” a lot of circuits easily.

I believe the walls of the hotel were gps allocated and marked by GC.

From there, we use architectural measurements and or scale arch. prints.
mpcxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:38 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,262

In residential work we have to measure from the plans and hope they don't move walls. That is why we try and come up in the outside walls. It is a bit scary but we have always come up in the correct places.

On our jobs we usually have the stone in place since we only have a few runs and we just rake the stone out of the way. The builders like using a bobcat inside the foundation so we don't install it until the stone is down.
Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:11 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,864

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpcxl View Post
How do you all like doing under slab work ? Any good methods or techniques you enjoy using ?
Read the specs!
I've seen transformers blow up when guys don't follow the specs. And under a slab is a very expensive place to make changes after the slab is in. If the plans don't have enough detail to absolutely know the location is correct, do an RFI so you have something in writing.

For in-slab work pay particular attention to location, spacing and concrete cover for structural reasons. You don't want to be the reason there's failure in the structural work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote