Ungrounded Romex, thermoplastic. - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 03-29-2007, 06:54 PM   #1
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 1,421
Default Ungrounded Romex, thermoplastic.

It's pretty common to run across old braided jacket NM cable without a ground. It's very rare, in my experience, to run across NM cable with a thermoplastic jacket that doesn't have a ground wire of any sort. Often, you'll find the plastic jacketed NM cable with a reduced size ground. Very seldom do you run across plastic jacketed Romex without a ground, but I did today. Just a piece of paper interleaving, tightly wound, where the ground would normally be. No ground inside that brown paper at all... just a twisted rope of paper. I saved a big piece, and took some pictures and scanned in the jacket labeling. I wonder what years this stuff was used? I would have to think that it was just a very few years.

MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2007, 07:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

There's tons of it here. The houses were built sometime in the 60's.

I know you could still buy it in '68.
Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:18 PM   #3

Just happened to think,you could still buy 14-3 Romex without a ground, up into the late 80's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2007, 07:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,712

I have seen a lot of 14-2 with a #16 ground. Never seen 14-2 or 12-2 theromoplastic without a ground.
brian john is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:32 PM   #5
Town Drunk

Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
I have seen a lot of 14-2 with a #16 ground. Never seen 14-2 or 12-2 theromoplastic without a ground.
Me neither
It's not my fault, it's not my problem, I'm not your solution.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:40 PM   #6
Wire Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ0906 View Post
Me neither
I almost never see it, which is why I thought I'd better snatch this sample. It was a kitchen remodel, and most of the existing wiring was either K&T or braided romex. All that got torn out, and I was planning on re-routing this one run of plastic jacket NM to the new frige location when I noticed it didn't happen to have a ground. Darn. Tore out maybe 25' of it. I'll probably save it for a conversation piece.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:43 PM   #7
Town Drunk

I thought that by the time we were using the thermoplastic jackets, we were using a "full size" EGC. I see the reduced size EGC with the braided jacket, so I figured that the plastic would at least have that.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:45 PM   #8
Wire Ninja

Quote:
I thought that by the time we were using the thermoplastic jackets, we were using a "full size" EGC. I see the reduced size EGC with the braided jacket, so I figured that the plastic would at least have that.
Yeah, I see plenty of the plastic jacket with reduced size. Sometimes, that reduced ground even has green insulation, sorta like MC. The green and black plastic jacketed 12/2 and 14/2 mostly always had reduced ground. There's really some weird stuff out there. Have you ever run into armored SE cable? That crap is a real "treat" to work with. (braided jacket, tar, spiral metal armor, lots of paper and string, and then the conductors each wound in cardboard curly-que stuff)

Last edited by MDShunk; 03-29-2007 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:58 PM   #9
Town Drunk

Never seen armored SE cable, thank God. I wonder if that wire you found today was a factory screw-up?

Old 03-29-2007, 10:07 PM   #10
Wire Ninja

Quote:
I wonder if that wire you found today was a factory screw-up?
No, I've seen it a few times before. A very few times, which is why I took pictures this time. Hillbilly says he's seen a lot of it down his way, so maybe it was more regional? Might have to do with what codes were enforced when and in what area. Hard to say.

I'll have to save a piece of armored SE next time I get some, and take some pictures. I might even have some in one of the scrap barrells right now. Might have to check, if it crosses my mind. It's sort of a pain to dig through scrap wire barrells. You end up with it one huge interconnected mass that weighs a zillion pounds.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:53 PM   #11
K&R

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
There's tons of it here. The houses were built sometime in the 60's.

I know you could still buy it in '68.
Yeah it's all over here in East TN also. Kind of normal to see it in the area.
K&R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:56 PM   #12
Wire Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by K&R View Post
Yeah it's all over here in East TN also. Kind of normal to see it in the area.
When you were in DE, did you see it as much (or ever) like you see it in TN? It's looking like it was a Confederate wiring method.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:22 PM   #13
K&R

Rewards Points: 75

I never seen any of it in DE. I only seen K&T one time up there. They just tear the old houses down and put new ones in their place. I did however get to see some crazy things in PA,MD, and NJ during my work time there.
K&R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:21 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,712

Did a job LONG TIME AGO, outside lights had BXL, the individual conducors were lead covered with a BX (armor) jacket.
brian john is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
When you were in DE, did you see it as much (or ever) like you see it in TN? It's looking like it was a Confederate wiring method.
Yeah,we were forced to use it for many years following the War of Northern Aggression!
Old 03-31-2007, 12:25 AM   #16
dcc

I've run into this in some remodels, but not often. The one that I've only seen once was jacketed in lead.
dcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:33 AM   #17
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,647

I cut out a bunch of it today at a remodel/ addition I am doing. This type also has a solid plastic thread running inside between the black and white conductors, sort of like a strength adder. But no equipment ground (bonding) conductor.
macmikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:15 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 150

Last week a contractor brought in a piece of 14/3 about 25 feet long. It is new NM cable without an equipment ground conductor... I was thinking it is a manufacturering mistake...I kept it for the classroom display
Pierre Belarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:04 PM   #19
JEC

Rewards Points: 10

It's a common cable still sold today, here is a link just look at all the cables with WOG. http://www.electricalreference.com/N...NUM-50-51.html

Used for signal circuits, LV projects, and many other circuit applications not requiring a ground.
JEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:11 PM   #20
Wire Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEC View Post
It's a common cable still sold today,.

It might exist, but I certainly wouldn't call it common.

Well, maybe if you do the type of work that utilizes it. I can see it being helpful for a certain model of undercabinet LV puck light that I use that needs NM cable, but doesn't need the ground.