Unsupervised - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 02-20-2015, 10:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 42
Default Unsupervised

I have been with the same company for 3.5 years. I am now a 5th term apprentice (have a bit over 8000 hours). We currently have no journeyman (other than the boss man) and I am the most senior employee. I often get sent out to service calls and sometimes even in charge of entire projects. I am wondering if it is common for senior apprentices to be completely unsupervised or if I am one of a few being sent to calls as what the clients think is a fully licensed electrician? Oh and more often than not I am supervising other apprentices/helpers. I know it's not legit according to the law...
Mista Bojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2015, 10:17 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 95

Yes it is common. 5th year are discount jmen and some companies will milk that. Working with out supervision and running projects are diff stories though.

If I had a dollar from every helper, apprentice, that said they ran work I could I could retire.
Locknutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:32 AM   #3

Haha yeah, It's been going this way for quite some time. I swear I have done 2/3 of my apprenticeship working under other apprentices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2015, 11:46 AM   #4
AKA Luketrician

Rewards Points: 1,101

Think that is why the NJATCs will still keep taking applicants, if with people wasting away on the books...to feed the machine if you will. It is definitely a system that the shops use.
Moonshot180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:51 AM   #5
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 20,637

Here is an idea, instead of more or less complaining about it , take advantage of the incredible opportunity you have been given to study up like a Bob Badger JR. on your codes and wiring methods and rise to the challenge you are given. You will be a outstanding Jman when you get your hours if you do , and will end up being the go to guy on every project.
daveEM (02-20-2015), guest (02-20-2015), jza (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 11:54 AM   #6
AKA Luketrician

Rewards Points: 1,101

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
Here is an idea, instead of more or less complaining about it , take advantage of the incredible opportunity you have been given to study up like a Bob Badger JR. on your codes and wiring methods and rise to the challenge you are given. You will be a outstanding Jman when you get your hours if you do , and will end up being the go to guy on every project.

Bob aka IWIRE? He is VERY knowledgeable.

I like that recommendation Macmikeman!!!

Mista Bojangles..are you listening??
Moonshot180 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moonshot180 For This Useful Post:
guest (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 11:57 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 874

Bobby should return.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:58 AM   #8
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 20,637

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Valdes View Post
Bobby should return.
Yeah, I miss the insults.......
John Valdes (02-22-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 12:09 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 486

Just curious..how many hours does it take to try for a license in Canada?

In US you could take the master/EC test w/ 8000, in some cases.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Semi-Ret Electrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:11 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 12

I'm by no means a mechanic. I'm a junior mechanic. But around here you would be a solid junior mechanic.

Running entire projects is a different story, but having a less experienced helper underneath you is common. And to do some service calls is pretty common too.

I had my first actual helper a few months ago. He quit

But hey man, take it and run. Take all the experience you can and push yourself!
The_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:38 PM   #11

The apprenticeship is 9000 hours total, but about 900 hours are credited from trade school. For ontario anyways
Old 02-20-2015, 01:16 PM   #12

I wasn't complaining. The experience is pretty sweet. Was just wondering if other shops operated that way. I've only worked for this EC for my apprenticeship thus far.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:32 PM   #13
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 4

A lot of shops do this. But as a apprentice you should only do what your paid to do. Some shops give a apprentice sites to run and **** down their necks when there's a issue, and I feel if I'm not getting paid to run sites I shouldn't have the pressure of it. I mean to each their own, but if you feel they take advantage of you by giving you more responsibilities and less pay than that's something to bring up to your boss. Being in charge and having more responsibilities is fine and dandy, not getting the appreciation for it is just being cheap and they are taking advantage of you.

And don't listen to people who say you should appreciate the opportunity. They probably rip people off the same way themselves.
mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:47 PM   #14

Yeah, I definitely don't get paid enough to carry the stress of the big decisions. Oh well, I'll be licensed soon enough any how...
Old 02-20-2015, 07:50 PM   #15
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 1,702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Bojangles View Post
Haha yeah, It's been going this way for quite some time. I swear I have done 2/3 of my apprenticeship working under other apprentices.

Damm ! I was a Foreman over 23 men , early 3rd year , but I was not Top Dog . Hell , even if running Job Truck for the owner , you are still supervised .

Pete
pete87 is offline   Reply With Quote