UPS Wiring - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By macmikeman

Old 12-03-2016, 04:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 32
Default UPS Wiring

Besides intercepting a 100 amp 3-phase 208 volt power feed to a Sub Panel and routing it through a new 30 KVA UPS with 5-8 Hours of stand-by back-up battery power to essentially make the sub panel a UPS panel, is there anything else I should be considering besides of course grounding/bonding? I estimated the loads and am quite certain it is sized correctly.
2825mdh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2016, 06:13 PM   #2
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 20,637

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2825mdh1 View Post
Besides intercepting a 100 amp 3-phase 208 volt power feed to a Sub Panel and routing it through a new 30 KVA UPS with 5-8 Hours of stand-by back-up battery power to essentially make the sub panel a UPS panel, is there anything else I should be considering besides of course grounding/bonding? I estimated the loads and am quite certain it is sized correctly.

Yes. What does the crew want for lunch.
360max and circuitman1 like this.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 709

The UPS could very well be phase sensitive which can really throw you for a loop. Just keep that in mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2016, 08:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 486

Are the loads sensitive to Non-sinusoidal voltages as is found in a modified sine wave supply?

You may need to go with a more costly true sine wave UPS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Semi-Ret Electrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:19 PM   #5
Gold Pliers Champion

Rewards Points: 2,536

If this is for Information Technology equipment I would read up on Article 645.
Signal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 11:25 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,206

Single source UPS?

Bypass Cabinet?

5-8 hours of battery is a lot of lead, do you know what the Charging current is for this UPS? You may need a supplemental charger?

Input filter on the UPS to minimize distortion

Generator? If so what size? A generator needs to me larger than the UPS to handle the distortion the UPS rectification creates.

The input circuit breaker will most likely need to be changed to accommodate the UPS as a 30 KVA output will require about 125 amp Input Cd (off the top of my head)
Old 12-04-2016, 06:05 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 9,058

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2825mdh1 View Post
I've done this recently where the client thought it was a good idea to keep their rack mounted APC units ( not a generic term, they were APCs) down stream of the new UPS.
Keeping those units on line showed a loss in standby capacity of the free standing unit we installed.
Southeast Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Power View Post
I've done this recently where the client thought it was a good idea to keep their rack mounted APC units ( not a generic term, they were APCs) down stream of the new UPS.
Keeping those units on line showed a loss in standby capacity of the free standing unit we installed.
Not sure I understand what you are saying?
Old 12-04-2016, 08:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
Not sure I understand what you are saying?
We were brought in to install a new 20kw UPS.
It was hard wired like the OP is doing.
The panel we took over supplied normal side to several different size rack mounted UPS. I think only one of them had a bypass mode.
They had the new ups feed the existing rack mounted UPS's.

It reduced the standby capacity of the new hard wired UPS by at least 20% due to the losses somehow associated with the rack mount units being in series with the new UPS..
UPS feeding a UPS.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Power View Post
We were brought in to install a new 20kw UPS.
It was hard wired like the OP is doing.
The panel we took over supplied normal side to several different size rack mounted UPS. I think only one of them had a bypass mode.
They had the new ups feed the existing rack mounted UPS's.

It reduced the standby capacity of the new hard wired UPS by at least 20% due to the losses somehow associated with the rack mount units being in series with the new UPS..
UPS feeding a UPS.
We do this all the time with two smaller UPS's (100-500) and the bypass is one larger UPS so if the smaller UPS go to bypass the source is a UPS.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
We do this all the time with two smaller UPS's (100-500) and the bypass is one larger UPS so if the smaller UPS go to bypass the source is a UPS.
I could see that but, these are small 300va to 1kva rack mounts, no bypass, fed from the new UPS.
The new UPS does have a maintenance bypass and it is of course closed transition.
Interestingly, they can bring in another 20kva unit and they will tie together as either 2x 20kva pseudo static switches or run as a single 40.
Nothing new but, the load they have is only about 7kw max total.
They could have bought two cabinets, set them as one 12kva static switch and if they had an extended event, let them run as a single 24kva.

Just a thought, I can only remember doing a couple of these within the past 5 years or so, certainly not my speciality.

I did pretty much live at a 6 meg data center for a year developing MOPS and SOPS for all of the maintenance and vendor procedures. I realize that data centers do have different configurations.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:00 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,206

208 single phase input to the ups sometimes doesn't like 240 single phase transfer to a generator. Make sure ups is compatible to both if done this way. We had to put a boost transformer on utility power side.
Cl906um is offline   Reply With Quote