Very High Output vs High Output lamps - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 12-14-2011, 08:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Default Very High Output vs High Output lamps

I was wondering what would happen to some HO T12 Flo lamps if they were installed in a fixture that had a VHO ballast?

I know I read somewhere that if you re-lamp a HO ballasted fixture with VHO lamps then you would only get the amount of light that an HO lamp can produce from the VHO.

Both lamps are F96 T12's High Output vs Very High Output. Ballast is for 2 VHO's, 1500 ma.

Well, we put a couple of HO's in a VHO fixture and it worked but the question is for how long? Thoughts? I want to think that the lamps will burn out prematurely.
Outdoorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011, 08:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,004

Are these sign lamps?
Vintage Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:19 PM   #3
RIP 1959-2015

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorguy View Post
I was wondering what would happen to some HO T12 Flo lamps if they were installed in a fixture that had a VHO ballast?

I know I read somewhere that if you re-lamp a HO ballasted fixture with VHO lamps then you would only get the amount of light that an HO lamp can produce from the VHO.

Both lamps are F96 T12's High Output vs Very High Output. Ballast is for 2 VHO's, 1500 ma.

Well, we put a couple of HO's in a VHO fixture and it worked but the question is for how long? Thoughts? I want to think that the lamps will burn out prematurely.
They will burn out faster and burn much brighter remember you are running 1500ma through 800ma lamps.

It will be fun watching them flip-out when they start burning out..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2011, 04:14 AM   #4
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 21,898

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARRY304E View Post
They will burn out faster and burn much brighter remember you are running 1500ma through 800ma lamps.

Yeah that and also they are a power hog as well.

And the VHO bulbs are not cheap as well

Do you guys remember the old Power Groove bulbs ??

I know they are about history now.

Merci,
Marc
cal1947 (12-15-2011), HARRY304E (12-17-2011), JRW 70 (12-17-2011)
Old 12-15-2011, 06:33 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 9,236

Quote:

People buy HOs all of the time and put them in VHO or SHO fixtures and then can't figure out why the lamps keep burning out. I can usually spot the VHO fixtures because the sockets are normally a bit taller possibly to accommodate the PG17 powergroove lamps Marc posted a picture of.

Last edited by Southeast Power; 12-15-2011 at 06:37 AM.
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Southeast Power For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (12-16-2011), HARRY304E (12-15-2011)
Old 12-15-2011, 10:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Sounds View Post
Are these sign lamps?
No, just standard 8 footers in a warehouse.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARRY304E View Post

That's what I was thinking. I ordered the VHO's so I can get it done right the first time.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:56 PM   #8
RIP 1959-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post

Merci,
Marc
Yeah those are the best lamps ever..

Old 12-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #9
RIP 1959-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrannis View Post
People buy HOs all of the time and put them in VHO or SHO fixtures and then can't figure out why the lamps keep burning out. I can usually spot the VHO fixtures because the sockets are normally a bit taller possibly to accommodate the PG17 powergroove lamps Marc posted a picture of.

They used to have those up here man i miss those.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:07 PM   #10

The four HO's we put into VHO fixtures, yesterday, two already burned out. That was fast. We bought 4 cases of F96 T12 VHO's. Man, they were expensive.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:14 AM   #11
Modérateur

Outdoorguy.,

If you don't mind if you tell us the ballpark the price you get the staight T12 VHO bulbs the last time I have to buy in France was 44 Euros a pop.

For the Power Groves we call them PG17'ers due the bulbs size is larger { pretty rare I get a PG12's }

BTW the PG17'ers are at 215 watts same as staight T12 VHO unless you got reduced wattage verison which they run about 180 watts or so

Merci.
Marc

Last edited by frenchelectrican; 12-16-2011 at 04:16 AM.
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Outdoorguy.,

If you don't mind if you tell us the ballpark the price you get the staight T12 VHO bulbs the last time I have to buy in France was 44 Euros a pop.

For the Power Groves we call them PG17'ers due the bulbs size is larger { pretty rare I get a PG12's }

BTW the PG17'ers are at 215 watts same as staight T12 VHO unless you got reduced wattage verison which they run about 180 watts or so

Merci.
Marc
For the 4 cases of VHO's (15 lamps per case) and we also purchased (6) 2 lamp VHO ballasts for said lamps, our cost after tax was $861 USD.
The Following User Says Thank You to Outdoorguy For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (12-17-2011)
Old 12-16-2011, 09:11 PM   #13

Quote:

Merci,
Marc
What is the point of the grooves in these lamps? I have never seen such a thing.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:25 AM   #14
Modérateur

Quote:
What is the point of the grooves in these lamps? I have never seen such a thing.

Ok I will fill you in a bit with this one the reason why they put the grooves in there so they can force the arc to travel longer distance instead straight shot.

Like example I will use the 8 footer lamp which you are famuair with it and with the grooves it will extend the arc longer to like 9 or 10 footer so the manufacter claim it will generated more light per foot.

And there is a nice bonus .,, they make the tube more stiffer so they can not shatter easy as straight tube verison is also pretty much elemated the swriling action when they are on.

IIRC they did came in 4 footer verison that even more rare than 8 footer is.

Merci,
Marc
Outdoorguy (12-17-2011), Vintage Sounds (12-18-2011)
Old 12-17-2011, 10:41 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 9,236

Quote:
It give the lamp more surface area.
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:30 PM   #16
Electric Al

Rewards Points: 2,306

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrannis View Post
It give the lamp more surface area.
Those groove lamps were very popular over gas pumps, in the sixties!

I had a bunch in stock for many years, couldn't give them away.

I did not know the reason for the grooves.

Thanks for the info, now that I know, it makes me a more well rounded or groovy individual!!!

Steven Wright
oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:29 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 252

Try to sell a retrofit with t8's. The kits go in lickety split & the energy savings (not to mention maintenance costs) will pay for the work in a few years. Up here the POCO (PP&L) will even chip in a percentage of the cost, though the paperwork is excruciating.
kbatku is offline   Reply With Quote