Wafer light Can Retrofit? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree7Likes

Old 06-22-2019, 03:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 300
Question Wafer light Can Retrofit?

I have a customer with 5 existing 4 inch recess lights, placed in odd locations around a long rectangular room. The lighting is inadequate. Customer would like to add 6 additional recess lights located in such a way to make the added lights not seem like they were an after thought. We agreed to locations where that would make sense. Of course the new lights and the old lights all need to have the same trim in order to look the same.

I loathe putting in traditional old work recess lights (because of the endless probing to determine hidden obstacles in the ceiling and the resulting re-layout of the lights) and put LED wafer lights as an alternative where possible.

Does any manufacturer make a recess can trim that would also match the look of their wafer light? It would be great if I could add trims to the existing and add wafer lights for the new and have them all look the same at finish.
shocksystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2019, 03:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocksystems View Post
I have a customer with 5 existing 4 inch recess lights, placed in odd locations around a long rectangular room. The lighting is inadequate. Customer would like to add 6 additional recess lights located in such a way to make the added lights not seem like they were an after thought. We agreed to locations where that would make sense. Of course the new lights and the old lights all need to have the same trim in order to look the same.

I loathe putting in traditional old work recess lights (because of the endless probing to determine hidden obstacles in the ceiling and the resulting re-layout of the lights) and put LED wafer lights as an alternative where possible.

Does any manufacturer make a recess can trim that would also match the look of their wafer light? It would be great if I could add trims to the existing and add wafer lights for the new and have them all look the same at finish.
I don't think you will find any to match because the wafer lights aren't really recessed at all, they are more like shower trims.

You can always remove the existing cans and put wafers into the holes.
MikeFL and armsjac like this.

Last edited by HackWork; 06-22-2019 at 03:16 PM.
HackWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 03:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
No, because the wafer lights aren't really recessed at all, they are more like shower trims.

You can always remove the existing cans and put wafers into the holes.
That was my original thought (remove existing, place new wafers in old holes). After I left I started to think about the trouble I will have de-wiring and removing the old without destroying their ceiling and still having a round 4 inch hole at the end to accept the wafer.

Not sure which trouble I would prefer. Installing traditional old work recess lights might be the better way to go in this case (trading one devil for another)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2019, 03:23 PM   #4

I have never done it, but I wonder if the wafter light will fit into the can and the pressure from the spring clips will hold it inside? Or maybe you can drill a hole on each side of the inside of the can for the spring clip of the wafer light to fall into.

Then you can just pre-wire the driver to a screw-in adapter like the ones that come with LED trims and install the driver with a screw into the top of the can and pop the wafer light in the bottom.
Old 06-22-2019, 04:16 PM   #5
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 850

Depends upon the size of the hole in the ceiling and the type of new work can. I removed about fifty Liteolier new work cans from below without damage and put in old work cans to support Big Ass fan's lights or Lotus wafer lights. You might be able to remove the can itself and the wiring from the existing jb there, install it into the new driver. This is of course if you can find a wafer that fits and covers the existing hole.
shocksystems likes this.
nrp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:37 PM   #6

Quote:
I have never done it, but I wonder if the wafter light will fit into the can and the pressure from the spring clips will hold it inside? Or maybe you can drill a hole on each side of the inside of the can for the spring clip of the wafer light to fall into.

Then you can just pre-wire the driver to a screw-in adapter like the ones that come with LED trims and install the driver with a screw into the top of the can and pop the wafer light in the bottom.
This is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping that some manufacturer designed one for. But this technique could possibly work, I am not sure if the driver will fit in the can above the wafer in a 4 inch can though.
Old 06-22-2019, 04:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrp3 View Post
Depends upon the size of the hole in the ceiling and the type of new work can. I removed about fifty Liteolier new work cans from below without damage and put in old work cans to support Big Ass fan's lights or Lotus wafer lights. You might be able to remove the can itself and the wiring from the existing jb there, install it into the new driver. This is of course if you can find a wafer that fits and covers the existing hole.
I think I will go to the job prepared to do it either way.

Thanks
Old 06-22-2019, 04:42 PM   #8

Now that I think about it, any work you would do to get the wafer light into the old light would be much more of a pain in the ass than using the old fashion old-world recessed lights in the new positions.

I would just put LED trims into the existing lights and install old-work cans with the same LED trims in the new positions. The customer will have to accept that there might be framing where they want the new lights and they might have to be put a few inches away.
shocksystems likes this.
Old 06-22-2019, 04:43 PM   #9
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,337

I have done it by mangling the can, pushing it aside and leaving it in the ceiling. A 6” wafer will work. If your hole is too big, use goof rings.
99cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 06:31 PM   #10
Can't Remember

I spent a lot of time measuring and researching what I had to do and a client who was willing to pay. You may be able to accomplish what you want, do the research if it makes sense financially and have the right customer.
shocksystems likes this.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:19 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,145

You should be able to drop just the housing out of the old cans. If they are non-IC, take the flex out of the can and wire it into your wafer driver.
If they are IC, still drop the can housing out to make room for the driver. Snip the overload out if there is one up there. Use a screw and a short pigtail for a ground to the outer square housing.
Most 4-inch cans are 4 3/8" which is also the right size hole for home cheapo's store brand wafers.
JoeSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:44 PM   #12
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
You should be able to drop just the housing out of the old cans. If they are non-IC, take the flex out of the can and wire it into your wafer driver.
If they are IC, still drop the can housing out to make room for the driver. Snip the overload out if there is one up there. Use a screw and a short pigtail for a ground to the outer square housing.
Most 4-inch cans are 4 3/8" which is also the right size hole for home cheapo's store brand wafers.
It’s the right size for any 4” wafer style light. You can mangle the old fixture and fit the wafer in.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:58 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 766

Most of the wafer mfgs either include or have available the parts to hang the wafer from a can so you can use the same fixture for everything without having to destroy or remove the existing can.
tmessner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmessner View Post
Most of the wafer mfgs either include or have available the parts to hang the wafer from a can so you can use the same fixture for everything without having to destroy or remove the existing can.
I have never seen this at all. I've mainly looked at Lotus, Lithonia (I have used those the most) and the newer Halos.

I know that there are a million no-name wafer lights out there now but I haven't looked into them.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:27 AM   #15
Can't Remember

The ones I removed were from the last days of Disco and were cast metal frames. Easy to break up and remove. A year or so later and there may be new products with more flexibility for this kind of work.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:28 AM   #16
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
I have never seen this at all. I've mainly looked at Lotus, Lithonia (I have used those the most) and the newer Halos.

I know that there are a million no-name wafer lights out there now but I haven't looked into them.
My preference is now the Eaton/Cooper/Halo because of the adjustable color temperature. Price is right at the wholesaler too, better than the garbage sold by the retailers.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:32 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
My preference is now the Eaton/Cooper/Halo because of the adjustable color temperature. Price is right at the wholesaler too, better than the garbage sold by the retailers.
Lithonia has a model with the adjustable color temperature too, but it costs more.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:39 AM   #18
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Lithonia has a model with the adjustable color temperature too, but it costs more.
Didn’t know that. My hottest price is on the Eaton and the color selector is standard.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:08 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
I don't like how the lens looks on those compared to the Lithonia. Other than that they are great.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Forge Boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:18 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 766

We are using Nora. they have an adapter that is sold separately. I think Green Creative comes with an adapter.
tmessner is offline   Reply With Quote