Wafer light Can Retrofit? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion


Like Tree7Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2019, 03:02 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 188
Rewards Points: 300
Question Wafer light Can Retrofit?

I have a customer with 5 existing 4 inch recess lights, placed in odd locations around a long rectangular room. The lighting is inadequate. Customer would like to add 6 additional recess lights located in such a way to make the added lights not seem like they were an after thought. We agreed to locations where that would make sense. Of course the new lights and the old lights all need to have the same trim in order to look the same.

I loathe putting in traditional old work recess lights (because of the endless probing to determine hidden obstacles in the ceiling and the resulting re-layout of the lights) and put LED wafer lights as an alternative where possible.

Does any manufacturer make a recess can trim that would also match the look of their wafer light? It would be great if I could add trims to the existing and add wafer lights for the new and have them all look the same at finish.
shocksystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-22-2019, 03:13 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
HackWork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: -
Posts: 32,506
Rewards Points: 155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocksystems View Post
I have a customer with 5 existing 4 inch recess lights, placed in odd locations around a long rectangular room. The lighting is inadequate. Customer would like to add 6 additional recess lights located in such a way to make the added lights not seem like they were an after thought. We agreed to locations where that would make sense. Of course the new lights and the old lights all need to have the same trim in order to look the same.

I loathe putting in traditional old work recess lights (because of the endless probing to determine hidden obstacles in the ceiling and the resulting re-layout of the lights) and put LED wafer lights as an alternative where possible.

Does any manufacturer make a recess can trim that would also match the look of their wafer light? It would be great if I could add trims to the existing and add wafer lights for the new and have them all look the same at finish.
I don't think you will find any to match because the wafer lights aren't really recessed at all, they are more like shower trims.

You can always remove the existing cans and put wafers into the holes.
MikeFL and armsjac like this.
__________________
I'm trying to think, but nothing happens.

Last edited by HackWork; 06-22-2019 at 03:16 PM.
HackWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 03:20 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 188
Rewards Points: 300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
No, because the wafer lights aren't really recessed at all, they are more like shower trims.

You can always remove the existing cans and put wafers into the holes.
That was my original thought (remove existing, place new wafers in old holes). After I left I started to think about the trouble I will have de-wiring and removing the old without destroying their ceiling and still having a round 4 inch hole at the end to accept the wafer.

Not sure which trouble I would prefer. Installing traditional old work recess lights might be the better way to go in this case (trading one devil for another)
shocksystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-22-2019, 03:23 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
HackWork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: -
Posts: 32,506
Rewards Points: 155
Default

I have never done it, but I wonder if the wafter light will fit into the can and the pressure from the spring clips will hold it inside? Or maybe you can drill a hole on each side of the inside of the can for the spring clip of the wafer light to fall into.

Then you can just pre-wire the driver to a screw-in adapter like the ones that come with LED trims and install the driver with a screw into the top of the can and pop the wafer light in the bottom.
__________________
I'm trying to think, but nothing happens.
HackWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:16 PM   #5
Can't Remember
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 8,960
Rewards Points: 850
Default

Depends upon the size of the hole in the ceiling and the type of new work can. I removed about fifty Liteolier new work cans from below without damage and put in old work cans to support Big Ass fan's lights or Lotus wafer lights. You might be able to remove the can itself and the wiring from the existing jb there, install it into the new driver. This is of course if you can find a wafer that fits and covers the existing hole.
shocksystems likes this.
nrp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:37 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 188
Rewards Points: 300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
I have never done it, but I wonder if the wafter light will fit into the can and the pressure from the spring clips will hold it inside? Or maybe you can drill a hole on each side of the inside of the can for the spring clip of the wafer light to fall into.

Then you can just pre-wire the driver to a screw-in adapter like the ones that come with LED trims and install the driver with a screw into the top of the can and pop the wafer light in the bottom.
This is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping that some manufacturer designed one for. But this technique could possibly work, I am not sure if the driver will fit in the can above the wafer in a 4 inch can though.
shocksystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:38 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 188
Rewards Points: 300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrp3 View Post
Depends upon the size of the hole in the ceiling and the type of new work can. I removed about fifty Liteolier new work cans from below without damage and put in old work cans to support Big Ass fan's lights or Lotus wafer lights. You might be able to remove the can itself and the wiring from the existing jb there, install it into the new driver. This is of course if you can find a wafer that fits and covers the existing hole.
I think I will go to the job prepared to do it either way.

Thanks
shocksystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:42 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
HackWork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: -
Posts: 32,506
Rewards Points: 155
Default

Now that I think about it, any work you would do to get the wafer light into the old light would be much more of a pain in the ass than using the old fashion old-world recessed lights in the new positions.

I would just put LED trims into the existing lights and install old-work cans with the same LED trims in the new positions. The customer will have to accept that there might be framing where they want the new lights and they might have to be put a few inches away.
shocksystems likes this.
__________________
I'm trying to think, but nothing happens.
HackWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:43 PM   #9
Petulant Amateur
 
99cents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Perky Nipples, Canada
Posts: 20,490
Rewards Points: 11,337
Default

I have done it by mangling the can, pushing it aside and leaving it in the ceiling. A 6” wafer will work. If your hole is too big, use goof rings.
99cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 06:31 PM   #10
Can't Remember
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 8,960
Rewards Points: 850
Default

I spent a lot of time measuring and researching what I had to do and a client who was willing to pay. You may be able to accomplish what you want, do the research if it makes sense financially and have the right customer.
shocksystems likes this.
nrp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:19 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 603
Rewards Points: 1,145
Default

You should be able to drop just the housing out of the old cans. If they are non-IC, take the flex out of the can and wire it into your wafer driver.
If they are IC, still drop the can housing out to make room for the driver. Snip the overload out if there is one up there. Use a screw and a short pigtail for a ground to the outer square housing.
Most 4-inch cans are 4 3/8" which is also the right size hole for home cheapo's store brand wafers.
JoeSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:44 PM   #12
Petulant Amateur
 
99cents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Perky Nipples, Canada
Posts: 20,490
Rewards Points: 11,337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
You should be able to drop just the housing out of the old cans. If they are non-IC, take the flex out of the can and wire it into your wafer driver.
If they are IC, still drop the can housing out to make room for the driver. Snip the overload out if there is one up there. Use a screw and a short pigtail for a ground to the outer square housing.
Most 4-inch cans are 4 3/8" which is also the right size hole for home cheapo's store brand wafers.
It’s the right size for any 4” wafer style light. You can mangle the old fixture and fit the wafer in.
99cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:58 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: rural mn
Posts: 379
Rewards Points: 766
Default

Most of the wafer mfgs either include or have available the parts to hang the wafer from a can so you can use the same fixture for everything without having to destroy or remove the existing can.
tmessner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:18 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
HackWork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: -
Posts: 32,506
Rewards Points: 155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmessner View Post
Most of the wafer mfgs either include or have available the parts to hang the wafer from a can so you can use the same fixture for everything without having to destroy or remove the existing can.
I have never seen this at all. I've mainly looked at Lotus, Lithonia (I have used those the most) and the newer Halos.

I know that there are a million no-name wafer lights out there now but I haven't looked into them.
__________________
I'm trying to think, but nothing happens.
HackWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:27 AM   #15
Can't Remember
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 8,960
Rewards Points: 850
Default

The ones I removed were from the last days of Disco and were cast metal frames. Easy to break up and remove. A year or so later and there may be new products with more flexibility for this kind of work.
nrp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:28 AM   #16
Petulant Amateur
 
99cents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Perky Nipples, Canada
Posts: 20,490
Rewards Points: 11,337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
I have never seen this at all. I've mainly looked at Lotus, Lithonia (I have used those the most) and the newer Halos.

I know that there are a million no-name wafer lights out there now but I haven't looked into them.
My preference is now the Eaton/Cooper/Halo because of the adjustable color temperature. Price is right at the wholesaler too, better than the garbage sold by the retailers.
99cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:32 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
HackWork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: -
Posts: 32,506
Rewards Points: 155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
My preference is now the Eaton/Cooper/Halo because of the adjustable color temperature. Price is right at the wholesaler too, better than the garbage sold by the retailers.
Lithonia has a model with the adjustable color temperature too, but it costs more.
__________________
I'm trying to think, but nothing happens.
HackWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:39 AM   #18
Petulant Amateur
 
99cents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Perky Nipples, Canada
Posts: 20,490
Rewards Points: 11,337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
Lithonia has a model with the adjustable color temperature too, but it costs more.
Didn’t know that. My hottest price is on the Eaton and the color selector is standard.
99cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:08 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 615
Rewards Points: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
My preference is now the Eaton/Cooper/Halo because of the adjustable color temperature. Price is right at the wholesaler too, better than the garbage sold by the retailers.
I don't like how the lens looks on those compared to the Lithonia. Other than that they are great.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Forge Boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:18 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: rural mn
Posts: 379
Rewards Points: 766
Default

We are using Nora. they have an adapter that is sold separately. I think Green Creative comes with an adapter.
tmessner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com