Welder Circuit Neutral - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree16Likes

Old 06-25-2019, 07:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 684
Default Welder Circuit Neutral

I was in a SH today when I overheard (loud talkers) two guys talking about pulling in a circuit for a welder. The one old guy insisted that code requires a neutral pulled in with the ground also, just like a dryer or a stove he says. The other guy disputed some, but bought the extra wire to pull in. I don’t have a dog in this fight so I keep my mouth shut. A industrial welder doesn’t need or have a place to land a neutral at all so what is this guy talking about? Or is he the ever present SH know it all?

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2019, 08:26 PM   #2
Band Member

Rewards Points: 818

You said SH ... but was it actually HD
99cents likes this.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:29 PM   #3
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 16,780

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460 Delta View Post
I was in a SH today when I overheard (loud talkers) two guys talking about pulling in a circuit for a welder. The one old guy insisted that code requires a neutral pulled in with the ground also, just like a dryer or a stove he says. The other guy disputed some, but bought the extra wire to pull in. I don’t have a dog in this fight so I keep my mouth shut. A industrial welder doesn’t need or have a place to land a neutral at all so what is this guy talking about? Or is he the ever present SH know it all?
Neutral conductor for welder ? in majorty of the time my answer is no it is NOT needed at all due most models I have see are line to line load connection beside couple small portable welders they can run on 120 volt circuit.

if those turkeys yapping about it .,, all they have to do is check the specs before they get extra conductor for naught.,,

On other hand I dont know if you heard but I have see it once a super while .,, some dolts will use wild leg connection to run the welder. and the result is not really good at all.
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2019, 08:42 PM   #4

Trust me @emtnut, I was at a bonafide supply house, this was for work. I use Lowe’s for my after hours, discreet, no permit, no license, no problem work.
glen1971 and emtnut like this.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:03 PM   #5
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 3,726

was the guy trying to buy an MD6 crimper for $19.99 by any chance?
Bird dog and CoolWill like this.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:19 PM   #6
Band Member

Rewards Points: 818

Quote:
Trust me @emtnut, I was at a bonafide supply house, this was for work. I use Lowe’s for my after hours, discreet, no permit, no license, no problem work.
They let anyone in those SH's these days

If the welder plug required a neutral (never seen one, but I haven't seen everything .... yet !) Then yes, a neutral would be needed.
Haven't seen one yet, so it would be a first for me

I heard somewhere that the Tesla's require a neutral, but it may be optional ??
B-Nabs and splatz like this.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:37 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 948

A 4 pin receptacle requires it so maybe its not the welder but the plug that was used.

Some welders do have a 120v output for a wire feeder/water cooler but that may be supplied by the welder transformer rather than using a neutral.
splatz likes this.
gpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:24 AM   #8
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,469

If it’s metallic conduit, he pulled two unnecessary conductors.

For the record, supply house babble is usually wrong.
99cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post

For the record, supply house babble is usually wrong.
This same old man loudly told the other guy that he should go ahead and get his masters licence [Ky] because it's easy, even if you're not an electrician.
I knew at that point he was full of beans, but a broken clock is still right twice a day so....
Speedy Petey and armsjac like this.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
Neutral conductor for welder ? in majorty of the time my answer is no it is NOT needed at all due most models I have see are line to line load connection beside couple small portable welders they can run on 120 volt circuit.

if those turkeys yapping about it .,, all they have to do is check the specs before they get extra conductor for naught.,,

On other hand I dont know if you heard but I have see it once a super while .,, some dolts will use wild leg connection to run the welder. and the result is not really good at all.
Most farm and light commercial welders have a 6-50r plug installed so, yeah the neutral will get folded up in the box never landed. Larger industrial machines[Idealarc, Dialarc, to name a couple] have no cordset and will require a field connection. This is two hots to the top of the switch and a lug to hit with the ground wire, again no neutral. I'm amazed at times the things people say and not think about the cicuit in question.
The using the high leg to the neutral connection, why, unless the machine has a 208 tap the welder will have a low OCV and be harder to weld with. I suppose if you have a full panel and have a few open B slots then the temptation to just get it done could be too great to overcome.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:19 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 449

A dryer is 120/240V and requires both a neutral and ground. The code article is there because it is commonplace to bond neutral to ground for electric dryers, and they want to stop that on new installations. Code is specific to dryers and ranges and other things.

Everything else you wire up as necessary. If something does not require a neutral, such as a welder or Telsa, you do not have to run a neutral.
Speedy Petey likes this.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:06 AM   #12

If we were to wire up Telsa, I’m sure the directions would be a multi paragraph screed.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:17 AM   #13
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,469

Quote:
Most farm and light commercial welders have a 6-50r plug installed so, yeah the neutral will get folded up in the box never landed. Larger industrial machines[Idealarc, Dialarc, to name a couple] have no cordset and will require a field connection. This is two hots to the top of the switch and a lug to hit with the ground wire, again no neutral. I'm amazed at times the things people say and not think about the cicuit in question.
The using the high leg to the neutral connection, why, unless the machine has a 208 tap the welder will have a low OCV and be harder to weld with. I suppose if you have a full panel and have a few open B slots then the temptation to just get it done could be too great to overcome.
What is a wild leg connection?
99cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:52 AM   #14

The ~208 vac line to neutral on a 230 4 wire Delta bank.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:59 AM   #15
Watt Pusher

Rewards Points: 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
A dryer is 120/240V and requires both a neutral and ground. The code article is there because it is commonplace to bond neutral to ground for electric dryers, and they want to stop that on new installations. Code is specific to dryers and ranges and other things.

Everything else you wire up as necessary. If something does not require a neutral, such as a welder or Telsa, you do not have to run a neutral.
In the case of the tesla charger, if it plugs in, then you are not "wiring up" the charger, but the receptacle. If that receptacle has a neutral terminal, then under Canadian code we have to wire a neutral to it, regardless of whether the connected equipment will use it or not. In the case of the welder, it uses a 6-50R which has no neutral terminal.

26-700 (2) Except as provided for by other Rules of this Code, receptacles having configurations in accordance with Diagrams 1 and 2 shall be connected only to circuits having a nominal system voltage and ampere rating corresponding to the rating of the configurations.

That being said, I am wiring for a welder in my garage, and I will be running a neutral so that when I sell the place I can swap the receptacle for a 14-50R and sell it as EV ready.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2019, 10:44 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
What is a wild leg connection?
Quote:
The ~208 vac line to neutral on a 230 4 wire Delta bank.
Also referred to as a high leg delta.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:54 AM   #17
neutral member

Rewards Points: 568

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post

Not sure I understand:

Wild leg and one of the other legs?

Wild leg and neutral?

I don't see why either would result in not good
Old 06-26-2019, 01:13 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 449

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Nabs View Post
In the case of the tesla charger, if it plugs in, then you are not "wiring up" the charger, but the receptacle. If that receptacle has a neutral terminal, then under Canadian code we have to wire a neutral to it, regardless of whether the connected equipment will use it or not. In the case of the welder, it uses a 6-50R which has no neutral terminal.

26-700 (2) Except as provided for by other Rules of this Code, receptacles having configurations in accordance with Diagrams 1 and 2 shall be connected only to circuits having a nominal system voltage and ampere rating corresponding to the rating of the configurations.

That being said, I am wiring for a welder in my garage, and I will be running a neutral so that when I sell the place I can swap the receptacle for a 14-50R and sell it as EV ready.
EV chargers are 240V and don't need a neutral. You can plug the Tesla in with their 240V 6-50R 3 prong plug. No neutral prong, no neutral required.
B-Nabs likes this.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:43 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 510

Any time an "electrician" cites needing a neutral "just like a dryer or range" when talking about a straight 240V circuit, especially in a commercial or industrial setting, their credibility plummets! Question everything else they say.

This is SO clear in the code it's not even funny.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:47 PM   #20
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 3,726

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
EV chargers are 240V and don't need a neutral. You can plug the Tesla in with their 240V 6-50R 3 prong plug. No neutral prong, no neutral required.
It is of course not the charger but the receptacle that requires the neutral to function as intended and to satisfy the listing (and therefore meet code).
Bird dog likes this.