Electrician Talk banner

Well casing bond

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  CoolWill 
#1 ·
We have a bunch of Wells some have ground rods some don’t.
Does a well case need a ground rod to bond it?

I don’t see what that gets you. We run a VFD at 480 volts to a setup transformer up to 2100 volts made for down hole pumps (at around 1500 feet down). We have a ground pulled from the transformer bonded to the casing and motor.

Is the external bond needed

Just for info I’ll post a picture of the motor when they pull it next week.
350 hp and only about 12” round. Oh yea 20 foot long.

Thanks
Cowboy

Reactions: glen1971
#6 · (Edited)
Are these water pumps, or oil and gas world pumps?

I've done a few in the oil and gas world and we typically bond everything, sometimes way too much. The drive enclosure, transformer case, vent box case, and any structural steel or device stands are all typically caught. Also depends on if there is a spec that may supercede anything else too.
I know it took a little bit for some inspectors to understand a well casing, or a piperack piles are a whole pile (no pun intended) better than a 3/4" round rod 10' long.

#7 ·
Flowing fluids generate static electricity -- rather like shuffling your feet across carpeting.

This is why the engineers go crazy with additional bonding and grounding.

The expense is PEANUTS compared to the loss of a single well.

Even the common retail gas pump bonds the customer's car to that of the service station.

The bonding wire is embedded in the hose, you never see it -- until a customer drives off while it's still inserted. Dang, that wire is STRONG!

#9 ·
What?

Gas pumps have breakaway unions so if you pull away with the nozzle in your tank, the coupling separates so you don 't pull the pump assy off the islands.

The wire in the hose is for strength and so it don't kink and rupture.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.