Wesix automatic load regulator - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree24Likes
  • 1 Post By Drsparky14
  • 2 Post By splatz
  • 5 Post By CoolWill
  • 2 Post By Navyguy
  • 5 Post By CoolWill
  • 1 Post By splatz
  • 1 Post By CoolWill
  • 1 Post By CoolWill
  • 3 Post By Drsparky14
  • 1 Post By Drsparky14
  • 1 Post By CoolWill
  • 1 Post By macmikeman

Old 08-05-2019, 12:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 28
Default Wesix automatic load regulator

I came across this on a job recently. I’m scratching my brain trying to figure why they need this for their electric heat? What the heck it does? I assume it keeps the output current the same despite the input fluctuation. But this is kind of freaking weird. Doing a panel swap tomorrow and not sure to keep it or scrap it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MikeFL likes this.
Drsparky14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2019, 07:09 AM   #2
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,430

Evidently there is a book "The Effects of an Automatic Load Regulator on the Load Characteristics of Electric Space Heating" by Paul Henry Schmidt, 1950.

According to https://searchworks.stanford.edu/view/955294

"A stdy resulting from a graduate project sponsored jointly by the Leland Stanford Junior University and the Wesix Electric Heater Company."

Quote:
The Wesix “automatic load regulator” has a current relay of the ammeter type which measures the load from range, water heater, lighting and appliances. At a set Position of the moving element a contact closes, causing a miniature 30-watt ...
Google Books will only show you bits and pieces, I thought Google Books used to be useful? WTF.

Quote:
The Wesix “automatic load regulator” has a current relay of the ammeter type which measures the load from range, water heater, lighting and appliances. At a set Position of the moving element a contact closes, causing a miniature 30-watt ...
I think it might somehow lower the heating load when other loads in the house are high - something about setting the relay so that when the kitchen loads are on... I guess basically a load shed. So if you're upgrading the service it may no longer be necessary?

Stanford has all kinds of money, you ought to snag this for your vintage collection and sell it to them.
Drsparky14 and CoolWill like this.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:57 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,704

According to the patent, it switches the heating load from 240 to 120 when other loads are high. So, for example, in the middle of the night, when everyone is asleep, the heaters will go full blast with 240 volts. But when the range is on and the washing machine is going, this load regulator will switch the heaters over to 120 volts and cut their draw in half, and thus the number of kW to 1/4.

If the space heaters are no longer used, you can do away with it. But send it to me when you do.
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2019, 08:41 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,118

I agree it looks like the first version of a load shedder. You said you are doing a panel swap, you might need to do a service upgrade or dump the electric heat.

Is that panel in a bathroom?

Cheers
John
MechanicalDVR and Drsparky14 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyguy View Post
I agree it looks like the first version of a load shedder. You said you are doing a panel swap, you might need to do a service upgrade or dump the electric heat.

Is that panel in a bathroom?

Cheers
John
What, you don't keep your shaving cream and throat lozenges in the garage?
Old 08-05-2019, 09:30 AM   #6
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,430

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolWill View Post
According to the patent, it switches the heating load from 240 to 120 when other loads are high. So, for example, in the middle of the night, when everyone is asleep, the heaters will go full blast with 240 volts. But when the range is on and the washing machine is going, this load regulator will switch the heaters over to 120 volts and cut their draw in half, and thus the number of kW to 1/4.

If the space heaters are no longer used, you can do away with it. But send it to me when you do.
Can you see from the patent drawings how it switches from 120V to 240V? That's a pretty clever load shed IMO.
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
Can you see from the patent drawings how it switches from 120V to 240V? That's a pretty clever load shed IMO.
The copper coils at the top act as a relay coil and move a reed switch to energize a motor in the lower section that changes the connection. The reed switch is held by light spring pressure, adjustable by the center set screw between the two coils.
splatz likes this.
splatz (08-05-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 10:41 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 4,118

Looks like there is some other box to the left of it (just above the K-Y)... Main switch?

Cheers
John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyguy View Post
Looks like there is some other box to the left of it (just above the K-Y)... Main switch?

Cheers
John
I think that box has the loads that are being monitored. It looks like the service comes into the top of the FPE panel on the right. Then the top left double pole feeds the load regulator. The top two conductors of the load regulator must be feeding whatever is to the left because that is the monitored load. The bottom two terminals of the regulator must be heaters.
Navyguy likes this.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:59 PM   #10

Here are a few more photos of the job:

The service came into the FPE panel then out a breaker to the load shedder, then from there to different panels. Some panels tied together. The others separated, as I think it would cycle which ones were able to work.

zac, splatz and CoolWill like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Drsparky14 For This Useful Post:
telsa (09-15-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 06:01 PM   #11

The lead to the motor was ripped off its terminal inside so it was no longer shedding load.

Yes this was in the bathroom. The panel was in an u finished basement then the bathroom was added later. It was inside a cabinet so at least it had some what of a barrier lol. But I put the new panel facing into the equipment room for the house.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drsparky14 View Post
The lead to the motor was ripped off its terminal inside so it was no longer shedding load.

Yes this was in the bathroom. The panel was in an u finished basement then the bathroom was added later. It was inside a cabinet so at least it had some what of a barrier lol. But I put the new panel facing into the equipment room for the house.

So are the old heaters still being used?
Old 09-15-2019, 10:24 AM   #13

They have all been replaced with newer baseboards before I got to the job. There also was no main breaker then, so this winter... we will see. (Kidding) I did a load Calc and it came to like 196 amps. I offered to upgrade to a 320 but they declined.

Old 09-15-2019, 11:29 AM   #14
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,655

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolWill View Post

I'm real dumb so educate me. Load is x amps when running at 240 volts. Cut the power for the same load to 120 volts and 2x amps required. Same wattage to power the load both ways. If the number of heating coils are reduced by half with this rig - I can get it. Otherwise I don't.
Just days before China unveiled a nuclear weapon that can "strike the US within 30 minutes with ten warheads" as part of a giant military parade, US Major General Lori Reynolds announced she's declaring "diversity" is a "warfighting necessity" which will help America defeat the more homogeneous nations of China and Russia.
macmikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
I'm real dumb so educate me. Load is x amps when running at 240 volts. Cut the power for the same load to 120 volts and 2x amps required. Same wattage to power the load both ways. If the number of heating coils are reduced by half with this rig - I can get it. Otherwise I don't.
The resistance of the heating coils is fixed, not the wattage. The watts depends on the volts and the resistance. Half the volts for a fixed resistance means half the amps. 1/2V x 1/2A = 1/4W
Old 09-15-2019, 07:24 PM   #16
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,655

They gave me books to read, but I ate all the pages......
Just days before China unveiled a nuclear weapon that can "strike the US within 30 minutes with ten warheads" as part of a giant military parade, US Major General Lori Reynolds announced she's declaring "diversity" is a "warfighting necessity" which will help America defeat the more homogeneous nations of China and Russia.
macmikeman is offline   Reply With Quote