What distribution board equipment do you use? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion


Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By telsa
  • 1 Post By micromind
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2017, 01:10 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: London
Posts: 5
Default What distribution board equipment do you use?

Hello there I'm Sam from the uk. I'm interested on the differences between our electrical industry and yours and the types of equipment you use.

I've seen a lot of square D equipment used in America but here in the UK the last square d board I installed was about 8 years ago. Don't make them much for the uk market.
Uksparkysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-04-2017, 04:11 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brisbane, Australia.
Posts: 2,866
Rewards Points: 2,366
Default

So what brands do you use in the UK ?
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:22 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: London
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxtothemax View Post
So what brands do you use in the UK ?

We use mainly eaton mem, Schneider, Mk, wylex etc. Completely different from USA probably. Square d was updated to Merlin Gerian.

Not sure whether any of them brands are common to the states
Uksparkysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-04-2017, 06:09 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Sacramento, California
Posts: 13,813
Rewards Points: 25,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uksparkysam View Post
We use mainly eaton mem, Schneider, Mk, wylex etc. Completely different from USA probably. Square d was updated to Merlin Gerian.

Not sure whether any of them brands are common to the states
Square D is a wholly owned subsidiary of Groupe Schneider.

You are in the IEC zone as a consequence of the EU common market scheme.

We are in the NEMA zone.

NEMA standards are MUCH more conservative, so our gear is much more robust in overload.
brian john and micromind like this.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:29 AM   #5
Bilge Rat
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fernley, Nevada (near Reno)
Posts: 6,518
Rewards Points: 2,646
Default

For switchgear (service equipment with breakers usually 100 amps and larger) I like Square D I-Line. Installing or removing breakers requires a slot screwdriver and you're not in contact with parts that are normally energized.

For 277/480 panelboards (breakers 100 amps and less), I like Siemens. Well designed and the breakers have 18,000 AIC. Most others are 14,000.

For 120/208 panel boards, I like Square D NQOD or NQ (basically the same). They're smaller, the breakers have a visible trip indication and the 15 and 20 amp single pole breakers have a lower magnetic trip setting. Quicker trip = smaller bang. Their HM (high magnetic) 15s and 20s are among the highest so both ends of the spectrum are covered.
MTW likes this.
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:30 AM   #6
MTW
Senior Member
 
MTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Northeast USA
Posts: 14,570
Rewards Points: 8,296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uksparkysam View Post

I've seen a lot of square D equipment used in America but here in the UK the last square d board I installed was about 8 years ago. Don't make them much for the uk market.
I'm sure you have plenty of Schneider Electric equipment though.
MTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 04:02 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
triden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC
Posts: 1,599
Rewards Points: 360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromind View Post
For switchgear (service equipment with breakers usually 100 amps and larger) I like Square D I-Line. Installing or removing breakers requires a slot screwdriver and you're not in contact with parts that are normally energized.

For 277/480 panelboards (breakers 100 amps and less), I like Siemens. Well designed and the breakers have 18,000 AIC. Most others are 14,000.

For 120/208 panel boards, I like Square D NQOD or NQ (basically the same). They're smaller, the breakers have a visible trip indication and the 15 and 20 amp single pole breakers have a lower magnetic trip setting. Quicker trip = smaller bang. Their HM (high magnetic) 15s and 20s are among the highest so both ends of the spectrum are covered.
Ditto. I like using the integrated surge arrestor option for the NQ boards which makes for a clean install.
triden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Plugging old D.C. Equipment Edn General Electrical Discussion 8 06-22-2017 03:42 AM
Plugging old D.C. equipment Edn Industrial Electrical Forum 0 06-17-2017 03:44 AM
Two Questions from Apprentice maverick323 General Electrical Discussion 50 06-06-2017 06:26 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com