What to do in this situation? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 02-10-2015, 10:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Default What to do in this situation?

So I received a series of emails from this person stating he needs a whole house rewiring at a house he just bought, but he needs a favor from me first. He told me he has some outstanding fees for the former homeowner and because he is ill and in the hospital he can't give the money directly to the former house owner, who has the keys and won't give it to him unless the money comes through.
Basically, he needed to give $5000 to the ex homeowner and will give me $1000 for a deposit on the rewiring. So he sends me his credit card information, many of which did not go through, and finally got all the money together in our company account. After that I just sent a $5000 check to the supposed ex homeowner.
I kept asking about the job after that but no reply, and after a few days I get the same style of email, needs some big work on his new house but need to send money to whoever etc etc. That's when I realized I just unknowingly laundered money from stolen credit cards for this person.

Anyone else get this kind of requests? I'm thinking it's best to talk to a lawyer..
vitamindee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2015, 10:27 PM   #2
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 1,038

dude, don't let yourself get involved in BS like this. feet on the ground, meetings in person, etc etc. Live and learn, I guess, everyone does a boner now and then. might want to keep an idea on whatever account number you used to forward the money tho (or cancel it). there's a million scammers out there working 24/7 just to take you down. don't let em.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 419

Sounds like you just lost $5K. A new twist on an old scam.

Personally, I would have considered emails from someone who's ill and in the hospital to be very sketchy at best.
mikey383 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikey383 For This Useful Post:
glen1971 (02-11-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2015, 10:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,367

Yep, unfortunately, you just lost $5000. Your check has already been cashed and the credit card charges will start being reversed any second now. Hard lesson learned.
samgregger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:45 PM   #5
felonious smile.

Rewards Points: 572

Can you loan me $5k?

Dude do you normally give $4K to a stranger?

Last edited by guest; 02-10-2015 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Keep the personal drama out of this please
Shockdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shockdoc For This Useful Post:
Chris1971 (02-10-2015), glen1971 (02-11-2015), The_Modifier (02-11-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 10:50 PM   #6
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 6,520

http://www.electriciantalk.com/f15/strange-email-74237/

Contact your bank immediately. Maybe they can get your $5large back.

Last edited by 480sparky; 02-10-2015 at 10:53 PM.
480sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:22 PM   #7
Conservitum Americum

Rewards Points: 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitamindee View Post
So I received a series of emails from this person stating he needs a whole house rewiring at a house he just bought, but he needs a favor from me first. He told me he has some outstanding fees for the former homeowner and because he is ill and in the hospital he can't give the money directly to the former house owner, who has the keys and won't give it to him unless the money comes through.
Basically, he needed to give $5000 to the ex homeowner and will give me $1000 for a deposit on the rewiring. So he sends me his credit card information, many of which did not go through, and finally got all the money together in our company account. After that I just sent a $5000 check to the supposed ex homeowner.
I kept asking about the job after that but no reply, and after a few days I get the same style of email, needs some big work on his new house but need to send money to whoever etc etc. That's when I realized I just unknowingly laundered money from stolen credit cards for this person.

Anyone else get this kind of requests? I'm thinking it's best to talk to a lawyer..
Call the police. Or your county D.A.

LARMGUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:20 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,464

I would of wondered why the zip code was Nigeria. Being scamed isn't the same as a lost/stolen credit card charge.Your responsibility.

Last edited by bobelectric; 02-11-2015 at 04:25 AM.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:23 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,018

You must be the dumbest business owner ever. Who in their right fricken mind pays off someone else's Debt.
NacBooster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:29 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 12

There was a thread a few months back. I can't find it. It was one of the funniest things I've ever read.

The "homeowner" who's name was "may" of some chit. He/she was in the hospital and wanted her home rewired. Same principle as this. And the ET member was emailing her back and forth messing with him/her.

If someone remembers it please post it.
The_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:35 AM   #11
Rest In Peace

Rewards Points: 7,003

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_kid View Post
There was a thread a few months back. I can't find it. It was one of the funniest things I've ever read.

The "homeowner" who's name was "may" of some chit. He/she was in the hospital and wanted her home rewired. Same principle as this. And the ET member was emailing her back and forth messing with him/her.

If someone remembers it please post it.
Read post #6
Big Pickles (02-11-2015)
Old 02-11-2015, 08:38 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftershockews View Post
Read post #6

yes!! I guess I missed that.

That's great. Time to reread and get a good laugh.
The_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:52 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 3,994

Why on earth do people fall for these? Read it and if it sounds like a little fishy ask someone else what they think before you send money.. Maybe take it to someone that is in a position of authority that might be able to do something about it, if it is a scam... Hmm.. Who could that be? Maybe the local police??

If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is...
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:54 AM   #14
Rest In Peace

Rewards Points: 7,003

Frunk?
Old 02-11-2015, 09:00 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 256

Now youre part of ISIS..
theJcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:59 AM   #16
RIP 1959-2015

Location: Reporting From Fenway Park Home of the Boston Red Sox....
Rewards Points: 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJcK View Post
Now youre part of ISIS..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Black Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:09 AM   #17
felonious smile.

Rewards Points: 572

I recall years ago when the traveler check scam was going around. We had 6 sent to us , cashed them and kept the money. The bank still believes i owe them $3k. It's thier own fault for cashing them.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:15 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 3,078

I used to get that type of Scam email all the time. I haven't gotten one for awhile. I did get a phone call recently from someone saying the were the IRS and that police were coming to my house if I didn't give them $3,500 by credit card. I read about these scams in the newspaper often but never fell for one.
Sorry to hear you fell for this. Have you called the Police?
Old 02-11-2015, 10:36 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 174

Troll!

No body can be that stupid on purpose!

jbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:38 AM   #20
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 6,520

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
Troll!

No body can be that stupid on purpose!
If nobody can fall for it, how come the scammers are still making tons of money?
glen1971 (02-11-2015), wildleg (02-11-2015)