What do you do with old breakers? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 07-01-2014, 09:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 101
Default What do you do with old breakers?

As I was throwing away a main breaker today which I replaced with a new $85.00 breaker, I was wondering what other guys do with the old ones. Do you recycle them or is there a place that buys them to recondition them? Not talking about a plain old single pole breaker, but the more expensive ones.
cc2kj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 09:41 PM   #2
Banned

Rewards Points: 340

I make a new account on here and try to sell them.

New to site, Have New UBI Zinsco Pushmatic and Federal Pacific , Half Price Retail!!
FrunkSlammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FrunkSlammer For This Useful Post:
dspiffy (07-02-2014)
Old 07-01-2014, 09:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrunkSlammer
Hahahaha!!
kgb62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 10:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 101

I guess my timing to ask this question could have been better.
cc2kj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:51 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 642

They're garbage, dude.

The breaker refurbishing places get more of the run-of-the-mill breakers than you could imagine. If you have something weird they might be interested. But pretty much guaranteed they aren't going to care about anything residential grade.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:52 PM   #6
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 6,520

I toss 'em.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:10 PM   #7
MTW

Rewards Points: 8,552

I smash them open and take the copper braid out to scrap it. So far I've made 8 cents from that.
MTW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MTW For This Useful Post:
dronai (07-01-2014), FlyingSparks (07-02-2014), wcord (07-02-2014)
Old 07-01-2014, 11:14 PM   #8
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 804

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTW View Post
I smash them open and take the copper braid out to scrap it. So far I've made 8 cents from that.
Chris1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:23 PM   #9
Very Long Vacation

Rewards Points: 5,262

I take them apart to see how they held up over the years. If Im in a good mood a trip curve test them.
meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:26 PM   #10
zap

Rewards Points: 1,040

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc2kj
As I was throwing away a main breaker today which I replaced with a new $85.00 breaker, I was wondering what other guys do with the old ones. Do you recycle them or is there a place that buys them to recondition them? Not talking about a plain old single pole breaker, but the more expensive ones.
85$ is cheap for a main. Just put in a reconditioned 1000 amp ge that was about 3000$.
tates1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:39 PM   #11
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 2,718

I've been known to connect them across a transformer type arc welder, turn the current all the way up and see what happens.........
micromind is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to micromind For This Useful Post:
dronai (07-01-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 01:06 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 268

I guess depends on what you consider expensive to some extent. A molded case FD3225 (225A 3 phase) breaker would be a cheap breaker where I work. All of the ones in this picture were all recycled at a recycling center. We scrap the chunks of copper for scrap bin and will pull off any ok parts like lug kits or anything re usable. Everything in the picture was thoroughly worked over with a chipping hammer to make inoperable. Feels odd to smash apart breakers worth thousands of dollars but it is proved and tested defective and not suitable to return to service or repair when we keep it... so we take all measures to make sure that it doesn't find its way onto the used market.
Attached Thumbnails
What do you do with old breakers?-img-20130625-00125.jpg  

EB Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:13 AM   #13
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,590

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB Electric View Post
. so we take all measures to make sure that it doesn't find its way onto the used market.
I have always been a great believer of recycling. But junk is junk.
Whenever I would take a load of junk to the local dump (small town)l, there were usually a few people scavenging. I can imagine the look on their faces when the perceived treasures turned out to be totally smashed and useless
If a qualified electrician feels something is unsafe to reuse, then the material should be destroyed.
The Following User Says Thank You to wcord For This Useful Post:
EB Electric (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 07:26 AM   #14
Donuts > Fried Eggs

Rewards Points: 300

Molded case breakers are designed to be non-repairable, and not that we've never opened any up, but as soon as we do all factory certifications and ETL listings go bye-bye, so it's never the best option for the customer.

Besides which, while their are reconditioning standards for MCCBs, many places don't follow them, and you're likely getting a used breaker in the exact same totally unknown condition it was in when it was removed from service.

Finally, given that most MCCBs are removed from service nearing the end of their useful life, and especially if there's no effective reconditioning done to them, it's actually a bad idea to resell those because both the seller and buyer are assuming huge liabilities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always wear your gloves.
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:52 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 568

I just toss them out but lots of guys want old zinsco stuff to sell I guess
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2014, 12:41 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 4,969

Depends on the circuit breaker, small molded case trash, larger ones are tested and kept for temporary. Draw out CB's we try to sell.
Bad Electrician is offline   Reply With Quote