What does it mean to be "certified"? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 06-30-2014, 12:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Default What does it mean to be "certified"?

What does it mean to be a certified electrician. The certificate is given via trade school. Does this mean you can act as a sub-contractor because you have the basic knowledge but not the 8000 hrs under your belt? Elaborate. Thanks.
whatryou is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2014, 01:00 AM   #2
Banned

Rewards Points: 340

Means you have papers that claim you passed required testing and work experience for your state/province.
FrunkSlammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FrunkSlammer For This Useful Post:
janagyjr (06-30-2014)
Old 06-30-2014, 01:09 AM   #3
RIP 1959-2015

Location: Reporting From Fenway Park Home of the Boston Red Sox....
Rewards Points: 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatryou View Post
What does it mean to be a certified electrician. The certificate is given via trade school. Does this mean you can act as a sub-contractor because you have the basic knowledge but not the 8000 hrs under your belt? Elaborate. Thanks.
You need a C-10 License to do that in your state.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Black Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2014, 01:27 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

I understand that but what about regards to work? Does this increase my chances at getting hired by a company/contractor?
whatryou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:23 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,969

It may mean something in your state here it means you paid $20,000.00 for a piece of paper that means nothing and you could have gotten the training for free, while being paid.
Bad Electrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:03 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,492

It was my understanding that you needed the 8000 hrs and a test to be a certified general electrician. That's what I needed to get it anyway.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:22 AM   #7
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 1,038
Default What do is mean to be "certified"?

what do "What do is mean" mean ?

I not sure dat I do is mean what do mean is I ? Is dat do mean is ?

Last edited by wildleg; 06-30-2014 at 09:23 AM. Reason: mean is do I
wildleg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wildleg For This Useful Post:
jeffmoss26 (06-30-2014), Ontario (06-30-2014)
Old 06-30-2014, 10:33 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 256

it cuts your apprenticeship hours in half maybe?.. but hours arent a problem nowadays. but anyone who pays 20k for it is silly. of course i was working and going at night. that was 12 yrs ago tho.
theJcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:41 AM   #9
Lep
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"

Rewards Points: 2,927

Union BS
Old 06-30-2014, 11:16 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 310

It doesn't necessarily mean anything. A lot jurisdictions will count a year of school as 2000 hours towards your journeyman card
bkmichael65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:12 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 4,969

Big Education the same ones driving college students into debt are trying to figure out how to place those not attending college into student debt.

No union BS, no ABC BS, just education that cost a whole hell of a lot less than a trade school, that IMO teaches baloney on a stick FOR THE MOST PART.

Nothing beats OJT and education at the same time.
Bad Electrician is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bad Electrician For This Useful Post:
janagyjr (06-30-2014)
Old 06-30-2014, 05:33 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 103

Based on your location California, electrician certification

https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/ECU/ElectricalTrade.html

Is a certificate you need to work as an employee under a C-10 electrical contractor. I would call it your Journeyman card, I'm not sure if Union journeymen have to take this same test? possibly?

However it does not make you an electrical contractor, so you would not be able to sub-contract or do any legal/permitted work with it. For that you would need a state electrical contractors license called the C-10. If you have the C-10 you are a contractor and can pull permits and do electrical work, but your employees would need their own Electrical Certification.

It's weird as I am both a C-10 and have my state electrical certification. So if I wanted to I could work for myself or as a sub, or work for another c-10 as i currently am.

Btw, they seem to be getting tougher with the certification exam, and also having the paperwork to prove your hours.
DiegoXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DiegoXJ For This Useful Post:
dronai (06-30-2014)
Old 06-30-2014, 11:33 PM   #13
Journeyman

Rewards Points: 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going_Commando View Post
It was my understanding that you needed the 8000 hrs and a test to be a certified general electrician. That's what I needed to get it anyway.
In Ontario, Canada, you need your 8000 hours + 3 years of trade school + you need to pass the Certificate of Qualification. However, if you have 8000 hours already, you are eligible to challenge the exam -- I highly recommend trade school for basic knowledge in all sub-fields though.
Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:52 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,492

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiegoXJ View Post
Based on your location California, electrician certification

https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/ECU/ElectricalTrade.html

Is a certificate you need to work as an employee under a C-10 electrical contractor. I would call it your Journeyman card, I'm not sure if Union journeymen have to take this same test? possibly?

However it does not make you an electrical contractor, so you would not be able to sub-contract or do any legal/permitted work with it. For that you would need a state electrical contractors license called the C-10. If you have the C-10 you are a contractor and can pull permits and do electrical work, but your employees would need their own Electrical Certification.

It's weird as I am both a C-10 and have my state electrical certification. So if I wanted to I could work for myself or as a sub, or work for another c-10 as i currently am.

Btw, they seem to be getting tougher with the certification exam, and also having the paperwork to prove your hours.
The paper work was a pain in the balls, but the general electrician test was easy. Straight code questions, no math or calcs at all. I tested November of 2012.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:33 AM   #15
Lep
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"

Rewards Points: 2,927

how well does the state of California enforce the certification law? who enforces that law,
I don't think it's your local building inspector.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:24 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lep View Post
how well does the state of California enforce the certification law? who enforces that law,
I don't think it's your local building inspector.
Yea it's a joke. No one enforces the certificate requirement.
We have only had customers ask, and some even check on the DiR website.
DiegoXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DiegoXJ For This Useful Post:
Adam12 (07-01-2014)