What are the indicators that fire was started by electrical short? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree31Likes

Old 04-19-2019, 01:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,440
Default What are the indicators that fire was started by electrical short?

Serious question: What signs would indicate that an electrical short circuit started the massive fire at the Notre Dame cathedral? Understand, I'm not trying to show any disrespect to fire investigators, even if they are French.

What sign could possible remain? How do we know something else didn't START the fire which then caused an electrical short circuit?

In the past I've heard the term "flash point" used in such investigations and could believe that in a smaller fire, like one on the wall behind a stove or near a heater, but something as massive as the ND cathedral fire, really????

Please, no Alex Jones-type responses. That can come later.
Attached Images

bill39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2019, 01:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 68

Couple of things that tend to lead towards electrical origin, Beading on the conductors, also associated with all fires is the "V" pattern that is left.

When they look for arching they find corresponding damage on the opposing conductor

They find Round, Smooth Shape - Some or all of the damage is rounded without jagged or rough surfaces and edges.

Resolidification waves concentric rings emanating from the
center of the arcing damage.

Large percentage of voids internal to the arc damage.

Spatter Deposits - small spherical globules ejected during arcing; can be located on surfaces away from the arcing location.

Wiresmith and circuitman1 like this.

Last edited by AU Facilities; 04-19-2019 at 01:46 PM.
AU Facilities is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AU Facilities For This Useful Post:
bill39 (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 02:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 904

But, as Bill said, how to use those signs to determine if the arcing occured prior to, or after the fire broke out?

I too, wonder how things on that scale can be conclusively investigated.
MechanicalDVR and circuitman1 like this.
acro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2019, 04:24 PM   #4
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 17,496

With the magnitude of damage and destruction there and the temperature of the fire it will be a very daunting task to separate source from affected area.
circuitman1 likes this.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:02 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,004

Fire cause & origin is very easy. It's been studied ever since we've had fire and many people worldwide investigate it every day. Considerable resources have been invested in it.
John Valdes and circuitman1 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:16 PM   #6
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFL View Post
Fire cause & origin is very easy. It's been studied ever since we've had fire and many people worldwide investigate it every day. Considerable resources have been invested in it.
Would you want to go walking around up there to investigate?

Yeah I know a drone would be a big help but still!
circuitman1 likes this.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:04 PM   #7

I believe they're sending in robots first. Similar to the bomb squad robots.

After that I'm sure they'll have engineers, contractors and fire investigator teams walk through, so they can develop a plan to safely do what they need to do. It shouldn't take much time. They need images which they can get in a limited capacity from the robot, and they need materials samples which they may or may not be able to get from the robot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
Old 04-19-2019, 06:21 PM   #8
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,414

I would think that the investigators have to be very experienced.
I think we could all understand how easy it would be to determine an electrical fire when the structure is still standing. But for something that has collapsed, it would be virtually impossible.
MechanicalDVR (04-20-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 06:39 PM   #9
Russian Bot

Rewards Points: 3,907

On a fire that intense, the actual origin will not be located.
From there its a matter of deduction.

Eyewitness will tell investigators where it might of started and when, and from there they'll figure out that no-one was around the area they're looking at. They'll look at what electrical was around, and what may have been working in that area, and pin it down from there. There is no gas there, no lighting, no people around...has to be something electrical if it's being used at the time.

I can't really see any other way of pinning it down.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:59 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 6,417

Will they require AFCI protection on construction sites now?
Old 04-19-2019, 07:00 PM   #11
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 976

sometimes when a fire starts on old timbers the fire goes mostly up, and sometimes when that happens the origin can be located.

however, at this early stage it is most likely just speculation because real fire investigators take their sweet time.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:02 PM   #12
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,414

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebanana View Post
Will they require AFCI protection on construction sites now?
Want to bet that will happen within 10 years if not sooner
joebanana likes this.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:25 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,298

usually electrical is blamed when they don't know the real cause.
it's the whipping boy so to speak !
dmxtothemax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:33 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 2

A friend of mine is a volunteer firefighter, he works on investigations sometimes. Says if they don't know or have an idea after 30 min, it's blamed on electrical.
circuitman1 likes this.
Apelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Apelectric For This Useful Post:
WPNortheast (04-20-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 11:07 AM   #15
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apelectric View Post
A friend of mine is a volunteer firefighter, he works on investigations sometimes. Says if they don't know or have an idea after 30 min, it's blamed on electrical.
Oh, so it comes down to a mathematical equation!

Nice!
circuitman1 and Recta Fire like this.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:17 PM   #16
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 14,859

The first thing you wan't to do during any electrical short circuit fire is determine the rate of arson to exactly the same religious sect owned buildings that are being set on fire deliberately week after week in whatever particular country your are investigating a recent short circuit fire in. Let's say it was France for example, but you could substitute any country you like, Panama perhaps or maybe Canada or even Tahiti. If there is a trend exceeding 300 so far in. a years time, well - you have it Watson, the fire was Arson and not an electrical short circuit. Now all you have to do is publicly identify the usual suspects which is the most impossible task in all history since they made it a capitol crime worse than arson to release the identity of the actual culprits. But it could be any country and any culprits of course. Not trying to point out any specific group here, certainly not, I wouldn't do any such a thing. Not me. Shame on the finger pointers.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:17 PM   #17

They're not using a volunteer firefighter to evaluate cause & origin on this one. No offense to Apelectric's friend.

(833) GPS-TIME
Old 04-20-2019, 01:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
The first thing you wan't to do during any electrical short circuit fire is determine the rate of arson to exactly the same religious sect owned buildings that are being set on fire deliberately week after week in whatever particular country your are investigating a recent short circuit fire in. Let's say it was France for example, but you could substitute any country you like, Panama perhaps or maybe Canada or even Tahiti. If there is a trend exceeding 300 so far in. a years time, well - you have it Watson, the fire was Arson and not an electrical short circuit. Now all you have to do is publicly identify the usual suspects which is the most impossible task in all history since they made it a capitol crime worse than arson to release the identity of the actual culprits. But it could be any country and any culprits of course. Not trying to point out any specific group here, certainly not, I wouldn't do any such a thing. Not me. Shame on the finger pointers.
I used to get all the FFIR's (Florida Fire Incident Report) in my fax machine for anything in our city. I rode out to a single family and there's some beefy dude sitting in a lawn chair in the front yard. My only purpose was to determine if the building was still habitable, was a total loss and/ or if any permits would be required to make it habitable again. Without saying one word, that man quickly said "I didn't do anything to that receptacle. I didn't. I swear I didn't do anything to that receptacle. I swear to God." He wouldn't shut up about him "not doing" something.

Gee, I wonder how that fire started?

I don't know if he replaced a receptacle and screwed something up or if he intentionally did something nefarious, but either way, that was not my concern at the time.

(833) GPS-TIME
Old 04-20-2019, 02:12 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFL View Post
They're not using a volunteer firefighter to evaluate cause & origin on this one. No offense to Apelectric's friend.
No offense taken at all, his method is quite lazy. Just putting it out there.
Apelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Apelectric For This Useful Post:
MikeFL (04-20-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 03:13 PM   #20
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post

So you want to use logic too?

That type of thinking just doesn't fly around here with some people, sad they can't see the forest for the trees.
circuitman1 likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to MechanicalDVR For This Useful Post:
WPNortheast (04-20-2019)