What is the point of a grounding grid? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 06-15-2013, 12:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4,004
Default What is the point of a grounding grid?

Where I'm working right now is a place that has a lot of 112.5 KVA 600v-120/208v transformers located outdoors. The job spec says that we have to drive four ground rods in a 10' x 10' square around each transformer pad and then interconnect them with a continuous loop of 4/0 copper. From that loop we have to C-tap two 4/0 pigtails into the transformer. All connections have to be compression or exothermic weld, but the safety guys at this site would probably have a stroke if you tried to apply for an exothermic weld permit.

Just looking in the 2012 CEC, two rods or a single ground plate connected to a piece of #2 copper(sized by table 16, transformer secondary is 4c/750 MCM copper Teck cable) would be a legal setup for this installation.

So, I guess my question is, just what is all this grounding overkill actually doing? #2 and a plate or two rods should be a pretty solid electrode. There's no critical equipment being supplied by these transformers, just lighting and receptacles etc. The customer is a huge resource corporation so obviously they like to throw money around, but is there some legitimate reason they might have spec'd this? Just to feel warm and fuzzy inside about their grounding electrodes? Who actually benefits from having an ultra low ground impedance?
Vintage Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 12:46 AM   #2
cog

Rewards Points: 1,128

Up here Epcor specs it. Check out page 60-61

http://www.epcor.com/commercial-cust...de-2010-03.pdf

edit: pgs 3-16, 3-17 on that copy
stuiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:50 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,392

Unless they have ground testing data that shows this particular electrode achieves a certain ohms ground resistance and they feel this level of resistance is sufficent for lighting and transisent voltage protection it is a SWAG or a WAG or a FG.
Big John (06-15-2013), Zog (06-15-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 01:59 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

The code is a minimum requirement. Engineers do actually do things for a reason.
04-20ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:26 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 360

Grounding grids are standard for substations and high voltage installations no matter what they feed. We just put this in a couple months ago

With high voltage, there is potential for a strong electric field to create a voltage gradient outside the areas of the trafos and conductors, so this is the only way to ensure nobody can get hurt. The grid outside the sub stations is for the people that walk up to the fence and grab it.

Remember the CEC is minimum code and inadequate grounding may leave high potentials on devices when transients arise (lightning and faults).

Last edited by triden; 06-15-2013 at 02:31 AM.
triden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to triden For This Useful Post:
glen1971 (06-17-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 03:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04-20ma View Post
The code is a minimum requirement. Engineers do actually do things for a reason.
Not unless the ground was tested prior to designing the electrode. Other wise it was well this is what they did in the past approach.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by triden View Post
Grounding grids are standard for substations and high voltage installations no matter what they feed. We just put this in a couple months ago

With high voltage, there is potential for a strong electric field to create a voltage gradient outside the areas of the trafos and conductors, so this is the only way to ensure nobody can get hurt. The grid outside the sub stations is for the people that walk up to the fence and grab it.

Remember the CEC is minimum code and inadequate grounding may leave high potentials on devices when transients arise (lightning and faults).
Correct but this does not seem to be what he is describing above. And in the substations we have done from the ground up we did 4-point test prior to the design phase to determine what design was required.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:45 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 822

I would bet that's more of an equipontential plain than just grounding.
A Little Short is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A Little Short For This Useful Post:
Big John (06-15-2013), Celtic (06-15-2013), hardworkingstiff (06-15-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 04:10 AM   #9
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 15,409

I am so glad I don't have a swimming pool near that ......

Speaking of which, there is a swimming pool at Kalani High School , East Honolulu, with a substation parked right next to it about 20- 25 feet away. First time I saw it was when my oldest daughter was in a swim meet there. Ugh, sometimes I wonder about things like that............

This isn't a very good picture but look thru the chain link fence in the background. See the support structures for the primary conductors?
hardworkingstiff (06-15-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 05:21 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
I am so glad I don't have a swimming pool near that ......

Speaking of which, there is a swimming pool at Kalani High School , East Honolulu, with a substation parked right next to it about 20- 25 feet away. First time I saw it was when my oldest daughter was in a swim meet there. Ugh, sometimes I wonder about things like that............

This isn't a very good picture but look thru the chain link fence in the background. See the support structures for the primary conductors?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/click2e...ream/lightbox/
azgard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azgard For This Useful Post:
hardworkingstiff (06-15-2013), macmikeman (06-15-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 07:13 AM   #11
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

A while ago one of the poco engineers enlightened me to overgrounding becoming more of a noodle with increased proximity to substations.

I'm not sure what can be done to isolate out this effect

~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:40 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 14,714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Lectric View Post
I would bet that's more of an equipontential plain than just grounding.
That was my 1st thought also. Step potential can increase rather quickly in earth and I was thinking they are trying to make sure that someone approaching the transformer will be at the same potential (while standing on the ground) as the transformer.
Three vastly different enemies, but enemies who shared one common trait. ALL of them stifle free speech. All of them bully, degrade and terrorize those who hold opposing views and who peacefully express them. All of them are intolerant and demand “loyalty” to the leader. Michael Sand
hardworkingstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hardworkingstiff For This Useful Post:
Celtic (06-15-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 07:43 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 14,714

Quote:
Originally Posted by azgard View Post
What are all of those cables going into the swimming pool? The ones coming down from the awning, going down into the water?

I wouldn't think it is this, but it almost looks like a grounding grid,
Three vastly different enemies, but enemies who shared one common trait. ALL of them stifle free speech. All of them bully, degrade and terrorize those who hold opposing views and who peacefully express them. All of them are intolerant and demand “loyalty” to the leader. Michael Sand
hardworkingstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,062

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardworkingstiff

What are all of those cables going into the swimming pool? The ones coming down from the awning, going down into the water?

I wouldn't think it is this, but it almost looks like a grounding grid,
Probably for the start/finish system.
ElectricJoeNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ElectricJoeNJ For This Useful Post:
Semi-Ret Electrician (06-15-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Sounds
Where I'm working right now is a place that has a lot of 112.5 KVA 600v-120/208v transformers located outdoors. The job spec says that we have to drive four ground rods in a 10' x 10' square around each transformer pad and then interconnect them with a continuous loop of 4/0 copper. From that loop we have to C-tap two 4/0 pigtails into the transformer. All connections have to be compression or exothermic weld, but the safety guys at this site would probably have a stroke if you tried to apply for an exothermic weld permit.

Just looking in the 2012 CEC, two rods or a single ground plate connected to a piece of #2 copper(sized by table 16, transformer secondary is 4c/750 MCM copper Teck cable) would be a legal setup for this installation.

So, I guess my question is, just what is all this grounding overkill actually doing? #2 and a plate or two rods should be a pretty solid electrode. There's no critical equipment being supplied by these transformers, just lighting and receptacles etc. The customer is a huge resource corporation so obviously they like to throw money around, but is there some legitimate reason they might have spec'd this? Just to feel warm and fuzzy inside about their grounding electrodes? Who actually benefits from having an ultra low ground impedance?
Section 36. You're on the high side, usually 2/0 is sufficient
Rochsolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #16
Donuts > Fried Eggs

Rewards Points: 300

It sounds like a very effective earth connection on a system that will not really benefit from having that connection because of the low voltage, and lack of exterior or overhead equipment. And unless OP is leaving out information, it sounds like it's a very poorly designed equipotential plane, which in many subs is a half the reason the grid even gets installed.

So... sounds like someone just likes seeing buried copper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always wear your gloves.

Last edited by Big John; 06-15-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Big John For This Useful Post:
brian john (06-15-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #17
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardworkingstiff View Post
That was my 1st thought also. Step potential can increase rather quickly in earth and I was thinking they are trying to make sure that someone approaching the transformer will be at the same potential (while standing on the ground) as the transformer.
key term Lou.....

~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chicken steve For This Useful Post:
8V71 (06-16-2013), big2bird (06-15-2013), Celtic (06-15-2013), Semi-Ret Electrician (06-15-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochsolid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Sounds View Post

Section 36. You're on the high side, usually 2/0 is sufficient
Really? 600v-120/208v is high voltage?

Your both wrong section 36 is over 750v and table 16 is for BONDING

#6 copper is all you need as of 2012 check out section 10
randas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to randas For This Useful Post:
AlbertaBeef (06-15-2013), Vintage Sounds (06-15-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by randas View Post
Really? 600v-120/208v is high voltage?

Your both wrong section 36 is over 750v and table 16 is for BONDING

#6 copper is all you need as of 2012 check out section 10
All you need and meeting specs are two different things.

Last edited by brian john; 06-15-2013 at 11:19 PM.
brian john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 5,198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Sounds View Post

What you have to remember is,is that there is NEVER a great or best way of grounding. No one knows what is necessary for a particular "strike". More is likely better as far as paths to earth ground for a lightning strike. If someone is paying me to do something , as far as grounding is concerned, I would do it without question.
RIVETER is offline   Reply With Quote