Electrician Talk banner

What question do you get asked the most?

7K views 79 replies 29 participants last post by  HackWork 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I was looking around to see if this topic has been discussed recently but did not find anything. I'm doing a video series for consumers in our area (North Carolina) where we answer some of the most commonly asked questions for electricians.

We've asked our 5k+ database of customers to submit questions, and I've tasked our techs with writing down what they get asked most commonly but in order to get the best feedback I wanted your thoughts.

I'm not talking about questions like "how much do you charge", "are you licensed", "how soon can you get here". I'm trying to figure out what people are calling electricians for the most and what types of questions are you getting frequently.

Thank you in advance.

#2 ·
When someone calls, the main question is .... "when can you be here?".

I'm not trying to derail your thread, just that's the main question. :)

#11 ·
Typical service call with inoperative machine.....when will it be running?

Why do you need a lift, it's only 20' high, can't you use a ladder?

Can we fudge the code a bit and save money?

Why do you recommend a NEMA starter when this IEC one is less than half the cost?

Why do we need an expensive transfer switch (or breaker interlock)? I will always remember to turn off the main before I start the generator.

Can't we just turn the O/L up a bit (or install higher rated heaters), just to get us through the day?

Just hack it together for now, we'll do it right at a later time.

What did you do, it worked just fine before you got here.

Why can't I use #14 on a 20 amp circuit, it's just one light fixture.

#24 ·
Sorry Dave, with so many great answers yours got lost in the mix.

I'm doing a FAQ segment for homeowners. Things that would be interesting for a H.O to know about the trade. My goal is to educate them not point out how dumb they are and again not talking about common questions like price, time frames etc.

I'm looking for things like:
My Panel Is Full; What are My Options?
My Panel is Old; Does that Affect My Power Bill?
There is a breaker in my panel that is hot to the touch; is this normal?
I have a Federal Pacific Panel, Should I Replace It?

#29 ·
My Panel Is Full; What are My Options?

"Cheater breakers"; we can usually double how many circuits you think it can hold. It's a little secret electricians keep to ourselves so we don't lose money on adding subpanels (a loss leader).

My Panel is Old; Does that Affect My Power Bill?

Changing your panel could potentially increase your costs. Outside there is a bare copper wire that goes to a rod in the ground. Sometimes current will travel down this wire, and usually when this happens, damage can occur to other electrical devices in your home. Clip this wire and simply remove as much as you can access. If you replaced the panel, the electrician would be required to put TWO of these!

There is a breaker in my panel that is hot to the touch; is this normal?

Try to determine which circuit this breaker controls. Add a heavy load, such as a space heater, or some high wattage lightbulbs to make sure that the breaker still trips properly when exceeding its rated amperage.

I have a Federal Pacific Panel, Should I Replace It?

No, these breakers are still readily available at home depot or some electrical supply houses. If you can still get parts for it, why would you need to replace it?

#36 ·
The question my customer's ask me the most is: Hey, are you that guy who does those absolutely fabulous computer generated illustrations? Man , those things are fabulous!

Reactions: HackWork
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.