What would you do & need current readings - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

View Poll Results: What would you do
Keep wanting a reason and not drop it. 7 77.78%
Accept it as normal 2 22.22%
Just drop it 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree33Likes

Old 08-17-2018, 02:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 412
Default What would you do & need current readings

Sorry long one but I need help!
Two months later and I'm still working on the same problem, I finally got a shutdown scheduled between POCO, union EC that installed service, non-union EC that installed equipment, and myself company electrician. Up to this point it is all finger pointing and no reasons given for my problem.
I'm asking three things in this post:
1. A poll asking "as a electrician what would you do if it was you"
2. Anyone running screw air compressor, and if you could can you take current readings on your ground wire.
3. ANY suggestions on what is wrong.
Let’s start by saying I don't feel right dropping the issue, it goes against everything learned in forty years of electrical work. I was always taught "large amounts of current should not flow on the grounding conductor". Coming off of my air compressors I have three paths for ground current to go.
Grounding wire in conduit, bonded at disconnects and panel.
Conduit itself.
Metal airlines supplying air to plant.
I have three compressors 100HP,150HP,200HP. All three are wired as above. On any of the compressors I can read between 2-5 amps on the grounding wire, not counting what is flowing on the conduit or air lines. This happens on all three and with disconnects open to the other ones so they are not back feeding a problem. I know the current is splitting between conduit and ground wire the way readings change at bonding point.
All cables and motors have been megged and two sets of test equipment have been used to rule out meter problem.
Attached is a drawing showing the ground paths that I know of and some current readings. In the bottom of the panel I have a ground bar, connected to it are.
4-4/0 ground wires going out to pad.
All grounding wires from compressors
Building bonding cable.
A Buss bar that I assume is bonding the neutral bar, no 277 loads used at all on service.
On that buss bar I read 11-20 amps and if I am correct and it is bonding the neutral bar and it is bonded in the xformer that gives me a parallel path between 5 conductors going back to the xformer so maybe 6 x the current or more on a unused connection.
Everyone is saying it MUST be my equipment but I don't buy it and heres why.
1. This equipment runs full load 24/5 and has been running for 9 months.
2. All readings besides the ground current are OK.
3 The big one "IF my equipment is connected to the ground buss that istied to building ground grid how would I get that much current flowing past that point.
So would you
1. Keep wanting a reason and not drop it.
2. Accept it as normal.
3. Just drop it.
Next;
Next the thing, the engineers from the one ECs aid happens all the time with screw compressors. So if anyone can take a current reading on a screw compressor that would be great.
Thank
Cowboy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf groundfault.pdf (76.1 KB, 79 views)
MechanicalDVR and splatz like this.

Last edited by just the cowboy; 08-17-2018 at 02:26 PM.
just the cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2018, 02:38 PM   #2
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 16,782

Cowboy .,, let me ask you this question .,

Did you have done a quick check at the lighting transfomers?

I know the last screw compressor I work on about a month ago and the one I work on was 125 HP size and set up for 400 volt operation and I end up got about 1 to 1.5 amp the top.

I am not sure if you mention the distance from busbar to the compressor ? how long the run they were if short run then how close the spacing of multi conduits ?

The POCO transformer is set up in Delta - Wye or Wye - Wye ?

I going to find some note about that.,

Last edited by frenchelectrican; 08-17-2018 at 02:42 PM.
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:45 PM   #3

Default No sub xformers

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
Cowboy .,, let me ask you this question .,

Did you have done a quick check at the lighting transfomers ?
Main is 13,200 - 480/277 xformer from POCO, no other transformers on system. This is one of two services feeding the building, other one has no problems and that is the one that has some 277 but very little, 480 volt lighting in building. Only the three compressors and dryers are on this service
frenchelectrican likes this.
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2018, 03:02 PM   #4
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 16,782

Quote:
Originally Posted by just the cowboy View Post
Main is 13,200 - 480/277 xformer from POCO, no other transformers on system. This is one of two services feeding the building, other one has no problems and that is the one that has some 277 but very little, 480 volt lighting in building. Only the three compressors and dryers are on this service
Thanks for the reply Cowboy.,

I just hope the POCO transformer is not set up in Wye Wye format as we are aware of ground circulation current show up.

what the POCO did to do their testing their transformer if they did the shutdown and ran the testing?

I am tepting a simple testing but I dont know if you done this or not but if you want to find out where the ground current going ., take a voltmeter and a conductor about 50 meters and take a screw driver and slam in the ground away from POCO source and take the reading from the conductor to the building hot conductor and read the voltage to see how much it drop .

That part it is up to you try that Because I am thinking there some stray current going on.( on ground side )
Southeast Power likes this.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:16 PM   #5

Default Yes Wye-Wye

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
Thanks for the reply Cowboy.,

I just hope the POCO transformer is not set up in Wye Wye format as we are aware of ground circulation current show up.

what the POCO did to do their testing their transformer if they did the shutdown and ran the testing?

I am tepting a simple testing but I dont know if you done this or not but if you want to find out where the ground current going ., take a voltmeter and a conductor about 50 meters and take a screw driver and slam in the ground away from POCO source and take the reading from the conductor to the building hot conductor and read the voltage to see how much it drop .

That part it is up to you try that Because I am thinking there some stray current going on.( on ground side )

Yes it is Wye-Wye and a brand new install, but both services are setup the same .
Shutdown is coming, just wanted more data when fingers start pointing.
Already did the wire test for voltage on building, Ran about 150 ' or so to the guard rails in the parking lot that are in driven into the dirt and tested for voltage. 0 VAC .5 VDC.

Just hate that much current on ground.

Last edited by just the cowboy; 08-17-2018 at 03:19 PM.
just the cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:01 PM   #6
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 342

Hi Cowboy

can you tell us how many eartherd nuetrals are on site?
SISYPHUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:29 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 14

Is it possible that it’s being induced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DashDingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:48 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,186

What about armature current ? I believe you said the install was 9 months old. May not to be old enough to have bearing problems yet.

LC

Last edited by Lone Crapshooter; 08-19-2018 at 12:46 AM.
Lone Crapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:23 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,813

The DWG is dated 12.9.94. Are these compressors that old?

What amount of current is on the conduit and the air line?
Old 08-19-2018, 01:31 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,052

What material are the main air lines....copper?
gpop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:51 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just the cowboy View Post
Yes it is Wye-Wye and a brand new install, but both services are setup the same .
Shutdown is coming, just wanted more data when fingers start pointing.
Already did the wire test for voltage on building, Ran about 150 ' or so to the guard rails in the parking lot that are in driven into the dirt and tested for voltage. 0 VAC .5 VDC.

Just hate that much current on ground.
I would try frenchelectrican's simple test , while shutting down each service
Old 08-19-2018, 08:56 AM   #12
86 45 20

Rewards Points: 8,166

For me, it seems like quite a bit of resources being invested into a problem that might not be a problem.
I'm not sure there is going to be a smoking gun here with the EC stating this is a normal condition.
There could be all kinds of interesting science happening with bringing in ambient air, compressing it into several atmospheres difference and drying it all with a constantly rotating machine.

I would speak directly with the supplier and get answers from the right end of the horse.
Southeast Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:15 AM   #13
Registered Member

Guardrails that run right along side poles that ground XO probably all voted for Kirchoff
wildleg likes this.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:04 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,528

another thing to consider is static electricity If you have air movement across metal and plastics it will produce static charges.
(we had this issue with some plc controlled air operated equipment)
static buildup would cause errors in operation and sometimes burn out a cpu module)
we ended up bonding the airlines and conduits throughout the plant and solved that issue
compressors and air driers are noted for generating static electricity!
so its just a thought to consider.
frenchelectrican and JRaef like this.

Miracle (mere-ack-ull):the aspirations of the indigent, The expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.
gnuuser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gnuuser For This Useful Post:
Southeast Power (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 11:55 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,486

Weird. Out of curiosity what made you check current on grounds to begin with?
Old 08-19-2018, 12:00 PM   #16
Conservitum Americum

Rewards Points: 574

Doesn't the NEC state grounds cannot serve as a current carrying conductor therefore you have to investigate and solve?

As for static electricity, voltage can be created but the 2 Amp measurement throws me off.

https://www.ecmweb.com/ops-amp-maint...ground-current

Good article on ground fault current.

LARMGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:10 PM   #17
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 1,038

on the 1500 amp panel, what is the total current on the outbound ground ?
(is it additive ? ie, does it equal the sum of the current on the 3 compressors or does it cancel ?)
Old 08-19-2018, 02:20 PM   #18
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,305

Start looking for voltage potential differences between equipment ground at machine and the building service. If none are to be found, take the battery out of your digital current probe and hit it with a hammer. Maybe hit the amprobe as well.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:21 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 3,290

Honestly, what made you amp out the ground anyway? Was there trouble or what?
sbrn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:32 PM   #20
Cow

Rewards Points: 4,600

The simplest solution is to pay Brian John to come out and look at it.
Cow is online now   Reply With Quote