What's a good way to ask for a raise? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 11-20-2014, 08:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,259
Default What's a good way to ask for a raise?

Looking for some advice.

1. Moved to texas to get into electrical industry
2. Been spending my savings on tuition
3. Running out of funds. Don't get paid enough as a first year apprentice in TX to continue paying for college
4. Planning on moving out of state for better pay (Don't want this to get political, but planning on joining the union)

-This is a valid reason for asking for a raise or leaving a company right? I don't think I'm being selfish in placing education as a high priority.

-How would you ask your boss for a raise so it doesn't sound like an ultimatum?

Last edited by xebo; 11-20-2014 at 08:55 PM.
xebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2014, 08:57 PM   #2
Ditch Digging Dummy

Rewards Points: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by xebo View Post
Looking for some advice.

3. Running out of funds. Don't get paid enough as a first year apprentice in TX to continue paying for college
4. Planning on moving out of state for better pay (Don't want this to get political, but planning on joining the union)

How would you phrase this (Tell your boss about your circumstances and ask him for a raise) to your boss so it doesn't sound like an ultimatum?
"Sir, I would like to speak with you about getting a raise. I am very happy with where I am with this company and feel that my work shows that I am a valuable employee."

He doesn't want to hear your life story about how you don't make enough money. They only problem you may run in to with the statement above is if your work is crap. Lol
3D Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:01 PM   #3
Donuts > Fried Eggs

Rewards Points: 300

For one thing, you need to figure out how much you would need to be making to cover your current expenses, and then you need to figure out how much of a pay increase that would be. If it's gonna take a 20% increase for you to stay in school, it likely doesn't matter how nicely you ask, you're not gonna get it, and you're still gonna be in the same boat.

Is your schooling applicable to your current job? If it isn't, then you're basically asking your current employer to subsidize training for your future employer, and they likely aren't going to be keen on that. You'll simply have to ask for a performance-based raise and hope that's adequate.

If your schooling will make you more valuable with your current employer, then you need to explain your financial difficulty, emphasize what you've done to try and resolve the problem yourself by cutting your personal expenses, and then explain how a raise would help your goal of ultimately contributing more effectively to the company.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always wear your gloves.
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big John For This Useful Post:
3D Electric (11-20-2014), eric7379 (11-22-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2014, 09:03 PM   #4
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 92

Very often, if you want something, ask for it. If I wanted a raise, I went in and asked for one. Not going to work if you haven't been there long. I want a raise and if not what can I do to get one. Direct, to the point.
nrp3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:05 PM   #5
Rest In Peace

Rewards Points: 7,003

Quote:
Looking for some advice.

-This is a valid reason for asking for a raise or leaving a company right? I don't think I'm being selfish in placing education as a high priority.

Threaten to walk if you do not get a raise.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:09 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 709
Default What's a good way to ask for a raise?

If you think you're being underpaid and are worth more than you're making then I'd have an open, honest conversation with the boss. But if you're making a fair wage based on experience, or lack thereof, I wouldn't expect a raise just to supplement your big aspirations.

Last edited by ponyboy; 11-20-2014 at 09:35 PM.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:09 PM   #7
Can't Remember

Likely the boss doesn't care about your higher education goals. I don't know if I'd threaten to walk out. If you feel your doing a good job, reliable etc, good employee, just ask. Not saying there's anything wrong with pursuing the higher education, remember it's your problem, not his or hers. Its admirable and to get it over with when you are younger is far easier.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftershockews View Post
Threaten to walk if you do not get a raise.

That only works for a certain type of employee.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:13 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 207

What are you going to college for? Most states dont require college to be an electrician. Or at least not very much of it. Earned all my hours in the field. Spent a grand total of $0 on classes. Did spend $300 on books
NoSparkSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:15 PM   #10
Can't Remember

I think he's looking beyond, at some engineering. Nothing wrong with, wouldn't discourage anyone from looking further. Some of the trade classes, programs might be of marginal benefit.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:24 PM   #11
German Spy

Rewards Points: 3,901

Quote:
Looking for some advice.

Sounds like you didn't think this career move out very carefully, and now you blame your employer for your short comings.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
I wouldn't expect a raise just to supplement your big aspirations.
I agree with your words, but there's something about the way you say it that rubs me the wrong way...

You're right though. Probably not going to happen. I'm being compensated at a fair rate for my region/contribution.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:34 PM   #13

Quote:
I agree with your words, but there's something about the way you say it that rubs me the wrong

That's my specialty I hear. But it sucks I know. I've worked with a guy who started in the trade late that had sick kids and a wife who couldn't work and living in their parents basement all the while this guys making first year apprentice wages because he's just that. I'm sure anybody with a beating heart would want to give someone like that all the help they could but it's not the way it works. That guys a top hand with the same Union shop now and has never taken a layoff. Things get better. Or they don't. Life's rough
Old 11-20-2014, 09:39 PM   #14
German Spy

Rewards Points: 3,901

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Life's rough
Get a dog.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
Get a dog.

To take the days anger out on yup
Old 11-20-2014, 09:44 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 7,888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John View Post
For one thing, you need to figure out how much you would need to be making to cover your current expenses, and then you need to figure out how much of a pay increase that would be. If it's gonna take a 20% increase for you to stay in school, it likely doesn't matter how nicely you ask, you're not gonna get it, and you're still gonna be in the same boat.
Don't be so sure, I just received a raise that is just over 25% of what my old salary was this month, and it includes bonuses on top of that 25%.

Though that's not normal at all.

Last edited by NC Plc; 11-20-2014 at 09:49 PM.
NC Plc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:05 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 218

didn't you just start a few months ago?
fp.unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fp.unit View Post
didn't you just start a few months ago?
I started last week actually. I think the 14 day mark will be the right time to ask for that big promotion.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:13 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 7,888

Quote:
I started last week actually. I think the 14 day mark will be the right time to ask for that big promotion.
You literally did just start a matter of months ago, 5 if I remember correctly, maybe a few more than that.

That attitude is why I do not see you getting a raise.
NC Plc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:18 PM   #20
evil bastard

Rewards Points: 746

I've worked side by side with people that had tons of student loan debt making the same as me. Did I feel bad for them? Sure. Did it matter? Nope.

You're getting ready to learn a lesson in the American capitalism system.
mcclary's electrical is offline   Reply With Quote