What's it like being an Electrician? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kg7879

Old 12-04-2016, 11:42 PM   #1

Default What's it like being an Electrician?

Hi, I'm 19 years old and currently in community college. For the last year I've been taking Automotive classes, but I realized that it simply wasn't for me... I lost interest in it and it became extremely difficult to keep attending the classes and the things I hear from mechanics is really saddening and dissapointing

Honestly I have no idea what to study or pursue, I have really been stressing over this the past months. I'm wondering what's it like being an electrician?

Also say I decide to pursue this field, where should I start? Is community college pointless if I were to take this path?

Thanks guys
Carlos22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2016, 12:27 AM   #2
Sparks fly from my finger

Rewards Points: 4,457

It depends on what you want to do. There are courses for electrical at some community colleges if you want to go that route you would still have to complete an apprenticeship although it might be less time than if you didn't take any college courses or you may end up in a place where you do not need to complete and apprenticeship. That is what I did. You could also do a union apprenticeship.

There are several paths to take depending on what you want to do in the electrical field.

It sounds like you need to figure out what your career will be and not just go to college to get a good paying job. If you find a career you can live and breathe day and night because you want to it will never feel like work.

I will tell you though to work your butt off now while you are young no matter what you do.

Obey your Master.
Jhellwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:34 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,592

You are going to get a variety of opinions. Some love, like or dislike being an electrician.

Also it really depends on what type of work you want to do. Construction, service, or maintenance.

Construction can be feast or famine. Service can be steady but you have to have a knack for it and maintenance is a steady paycheck but you usually do not get those type of jobs until you become a journeyman.

Also here are some things to consider. With construction you will move around a lot. Sometimes the job is 15 minutes from your house sometimes it is two hours away. Would you like to work in all weather conditions? Do you want to work union or non union? Can you take jokes or are you easily offended? Can you work with a journeyman who might be a complete a hole to you?
MechanicalDVR likes this.

Last edited by kg7879; 12-05-2016 at 12:36 AM.
kg7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kg7879 For This Useful Post:
Semi-Ret Electrician (12-05-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2016, 01:42 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25,826

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos22 View Post
Hi, I'm 19 years old and currently in community college. For the last year I've been taking Automotive classes, but I realized that it simply wasn't for me... I lost interest in it and it became extremely difficult to keep attending the classes and the things I hear from mechanics is really saddening and dissapointing

Honestly I have no idea what to study or pursue, I have really been stressing over this the past months. I'm wondering what's it like being an electrician?

Also say I decide to pursue this field, where should I start? Is community college pointless if I were to take this path?

Thanks guys
Plan A: If you have a natural aptitude for math and science, electric power circuits will come easy.

Plan B is to become a framer// general contractor. They don't have to know anything... much.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:59 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,511

Hmmmmm what's it like to be an electrician ......

For me it's greasy , nasty , dirty , foul , vial , and some of the smells will make you puke.

That being said I do restaurants and I love what I do . The new builds are very fast paced and the service is beyond crazy fast because if they cant serve food they dont make money .

It is a hard job but rewarding . but if you dont like fixin cars you might not like this line of work .

A mechanic is a mechanic and sparky be mechanic .

Work ethic is everything . I did not like this trade when I started but I stuck it out and did not quit when it got hard . now it's easy and love it .

It's all in you bro .
catsparky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:17 AM   #6
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

It's been an enlightening experience.....~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:57 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,762

As others have said, there are many aspects to the trade. Construction, maintenance, residential, commercial, industrial, solar, nuclear, wind, indoors, outside, etc..

Do you like working with your hands? Problem solving? How does working outside sit with you? Last week I was in shirt sleeves, this morning it is -16C (3F) and calling for windchills around -27C (-17F)later today. -20C (-4F) are our forecast highs for the week... Granted in some areas, these temps aren't seen, while in others these are warm in the winter...

I've met a few that have said they've done it all in the trade... I laugh, because there is no way, since there's so many different areas.
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to glen1971 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 09:22 AM   #8
fertilizer distrubuter

Rewards Points: 554

Test your apptitudes. Take college algebra and trigonometry. If you are good at it and it interests you could make a good electrician as long as you like working with your hands. If you love it and want more consider taking calculus perhaps you will like engineering. Engineering education is 90% math. If you can't hardly add 2 + 2 yet somehow weasel your way through the class you should consider buisness.
Ultrafault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:51 AM   #9
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 912

Being an electrician is nature's gift to the construction industry, we walk on water compared to the slugs that frame and sheetrock. Just kidding, it's a good profession if you have the knack for it. Other shave listed pluses and minuses.

If you are interested and aren't in a right to work state I'd look into Union apprenticeship.
It's a shame you lost the inclination for auto mechanics, the techs that worked for the Mercedes and Cadillac dealerships I've known all do very well.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:38 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 352

The electrical industry has been good to me and my family. Its not all been easy. I've been in new construction without heat in the winter when your hands were numb. I ruined 3 cell phones in one week due to sweat. I've been in hot attics and wet crawl spaces. I've been in high places and underground. But, its not all bad and the pay can be good.

Try to land a helper or apprentice job with a contractor. Expect to be given the hard and dirty jobs. Expect to be criticized and mistreated at the beginning. Do the task well and you will gain respect and advance. Your employer will steer you to the training that you will need and may even pay for it.
lightman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lightman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 12:03 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,786

Get a job as an electricians helper and check it out before you decide.
Your 19. Good time to start.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Valdes For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 01:16 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 486

All good replies.
Since my dad was an electrician and so is my son it must be a gene thing!
I started in hs electrical vocational classes, worked as a warehouse guy with an EC, Navy missile tech., electrical planner, instrumentation designer, E&I supervisor and for the last 13 years have my own biz as an EC.

I started my own EC when my 14 year gig as an instrumentation designer ended. Me and 999 co-workers were fired in one day in after 9/11.

Since I had 40,000 hours as an electrical supervisor, becoming an EC was easy.
It was a great fall back position which I have never regretted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Semi-Ret Electrician is offline   Reply With Quote