What's the purpose of these? (Connecticut Electric breakers) - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree5Likes

Old 11-04-2019, 02:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 213
Default What's the purpose of these? (Connecticut Electric breakers)

A customer wants me to change out breakers in his panel, I don't agree it's needed but he wants it. He said he would purchase the breakers. He showed me this picture. I corrected him and told him which breakers he needed (Siemens), but I am still wondering what is the point of the breaker in the pictures.

It's made by Connecticut Electric. It is listed. It is super expensive. It says Siemens Type D on it. But it is for a Square D QO panel. WTF???

What's the purpose of these?  (Connecticut Electric breakers)-screen-shot-2019-11-04-1.24.14-pm.png

What's the purpose of these?  (Connecticut Electric breakers)-screen-shot-2019-11-04-1.24.04-pm.png
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2019, 02:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 417

I have no idea. Generally only use the Connecticut breakers to replace obsolete breakers like zinsco and pushmatic etc. Only thing I could think of is for homeowners who have no clue, but then I would assume they would just purchase Square D breakers as they look identical to what they removed.

EDIT: Maybe for a distributor that doesn't sell Square D products?

Last edited by MotoGP1199; 11-04-2019 at 02:38 PM.
MotoGP1199 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:47 PM   #3
MTW

Rewards Points: 9,970

I've seen a few of those buy they are rare. Are you even an electrician?
MTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2019, 02:52 PM   #4
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 798

Last edited by Bird dog; 11-04-2019 at 05:26 PM.
Bird dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:10 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,962

I think the package is mislabeled / misprinted.

I don't think we have third-party manufacturers of currently available brands up here. I am guessing the patent has expired in the USA and somebody is making third-party breakers to compete with people that are not authorized distributors.

Similar to what @MotoGP1199 said.

Cheers
John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:57 PM   #6
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 908

https://www.connecticut-electric.com...20a-cb-ited220
Bird dog (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 05:20 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 4

Weird. I could see it for obsolete breakers, but that really makes no sense??
Kawicrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:29 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 62

The Connecticut Electric website shows that they sell house-branded "replacement breakers" that are listed replacements for OEM breakers from several different manufacturers - but Square D is not one of them. They do make replacements for a lot of different Siemens breakers though, including the Siemens breakers that retrofit QO panels. So Connecticut Electric makes copies of Siemens' copies of Square D's QO breakers, but doesn't make copies of Square D's QO breakers.

Why would anyone buy them, instead of Square D's own product or even Siemens' own copy of the Square D product? No idea.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:33 PM   #9
MTW

I think CH makes them too, I've been to a CH dealer that had the QO knockoffs made by CH.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
The Connecticut Electric website shows that they sell house-branded "replacement breakers" that are listed replacements for OEM breakers from several different manufacturers - but Square D is not one of them. They do make replacements for a lot of different Siemens breakers though, including the Siemens breakers that retrofit QO panels. So Connecticut Electric makes copies of Siemens' copies of Square D's QO breakers, but doesn't make copies of Square D's QO breakers.

Why would anyone buy them, instead of Square D's own product or even Siemens' own copy of the Square D product? No idea.
The first paragraph makes sense and is most likely the explanation, thanks.

I agree with your second paragraph, especially because the knock off cost twice as much as the real thing.
mpoulton likes this.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:43 PM   #11
MTW

The Connecticut Electric/UBI listed replacements for FPE and Zinsco are obscenely expensive.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:55 PM   #12

Apparently these have even been counterfeited and there is a recall. https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2007/co...to-fire-hazard
Old 11-04-2019, 10:03 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,186

Seems to me that buying a UL classified replacement for QO's is a colossal waste of money not much of a savings & loose all the features that QO breakers have. UL classified breakers shine for replacement of obsolete/defunct models.
Norcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:47 PM   #14
Hackenschmidt

They are just reselling Siemens, this isn't one of their own breakers, the ones they manufacture.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:37 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,500

The differancer is the "type D" rating,
These breakers are to breakers what slow blow fuses are to fuses.
They are a slow blow breaker designed for startup surges like
that found in industrial machinery.

QUOTE - Circuit breakers are divided into types based on their instantaneous tripping current. This is the minimum current at which the circuit breaker will discontinue the flow of electricity, or trip. It does this to protect devices plugged into the circuit from sudden rises in levels of current. A type D breaker trips when its current is 20 times its rated current.
Applications
Type D breakers are generally found in industrial settings. According to the The Electrical Guide, Type D breakers protect devices such as transformers or welding machines — items that can tolerate higher surges of electricity than home appliances.

Last edited by dmxtothemax; 11-05-2019 at 12:01 AM.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxtothemax View Post

QUOTE - Circuit breakers are divided into types based on their instantaneous tripping current. This is the minimum current at which the circuit breaker will discontinue the flow of electricity, or trip. It does this to protect devices plugged into the circuit from sudden rises in levels of current. A type D breaker trips when its current is 20 times its rated current.
Applications

Type D breakers are generally found in industrial settings. According to the The Electrical Guide, Type D breakers protect devices such as transformers or welding machines — items that can tolerate higher surges of electricity than home appliances.
I could be wrong but I don't think this is actually a Type D breaker "Rating" trip curve, Connecticut just labels all their breakers "Type" and then what ever the manufacturer initials are. IE: Zinscos are Type: Z, Pushmatics are Type: P, Federal Pacific stab-locs are Type: F, etc... Its just the name they give the breaker and not the actual breaker trip curve rating.
mpoulton likes this.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:06 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 1,500

Using these breakers in a domestic situation is not wise,
Unless he is having nuisance tripping problems due to large A / C units,
Then I would not recommend them.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:47 AM   #18
Hackenschmidt

D220 is the Siemens part number, this being a Siemens breaker. Siemens QD breakers all start with a D. They are HACR rated. I think they get the D from the D in square - "D" right?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SiemensCatalog-pg21.pdf (183.2 KB, 14 views)
mpoulton likes this.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:45 AM   #19
MTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxtothemax View Post

Applications
We don't use the A, B, C, D rating system for breakers in North America. The "D" is just a part number, nothing more.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:05 PM   #20

He bought them at a hardware store.

I think what I mpoultan said is most likely the reason why Connecticut electric makes a breaker labeled Siemens to fit in a square D QO panel