What's a way to grow our business? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 04-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 486
Default What's a way to grow our business?

In todays economy what has worked for you the employer, and you the employee to maximize profit for the company?
Advertising, profit sharing, health insurance, new truck..tools..training, credit cards, smart phones, nextel, scrap wire policy, company meetings, vacation policy, allow employees to take truck home?
Semi-Ret Electrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,050
Default words

word of mouth....answering the phone...bid/charging right amount..git-n-r done. Collecting asap !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm shakin it boss..I'm shakin it
Cletis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cletis For This Useful Post:
parnellelectric (04-15-2012), Semi-Ret Electrician (04-15-2012)
Old 04-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 2,776

Here's one way that worked;

in 1990 I moved to Reno. I walked in to the office of a company and was hired as a journeyman on the spot. I was sent to a job and did my best for them.

Two weeks later, the owner of the company came by the job and gave me a $2 raise.

I hit it even harder for them.

About 6 months later, I got a company van. At first, it was left at the shop, but a couple of months later, I was told to take it home every day.

After about a couple of years, (and a few more raises) I got a nice bonus. Subsequent years were larger bonuses. And paid holidays and paid vacation.

I did just about everything I possible could to maximize profit for them, knowing I'd get some of it back.

I didn't realize this until later, but this company would hire just about anyone who walked through the door. Most guys made it about 2 hours, some would last a few weeks. The ones who showed promise were taken care of very well.

And we took care of the company.

About 2 years before I went to work there, the company was formed by 2 project managers, 5 foremen and a couple of journeymen. When I started, it was doing about $4,000,000 a year. When it was sold, it was doing about $30,000,000 a year.

I got to know the owners (there were 5) pretty well over the years I worked there. Their main philosophy was actually pretty simple; hire the right guys, let them run their jobs their way, give them just a bit more than they expect, and they'll make you a ton of money.

Jobs were run mainly by the field foremen, not the office. No two of us ran our jobs the exact same way.

I realize this sounds backward, but the office guys basically worked for the field guys. On the other hand, you can't take a company from someones garage to a new office/shop and $4,000,000 a year without doing more than a few things right.

As one of their long-term employees, there's no question in my mind that a large part of their success was due to the fact that they gradually treated their key people better and better over time. Not all at once, gradually.

While we certainly chased that carrot in front of our noses, we got to bite it once in a while too.
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to micromind For This Useful Post:
360max (04-15-2012), aDudeInPhx (04-15-2012), electricnut (04-15-2012), Semi-Ret Electrician (04-15-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 486

We tried letting the guys have the scrap wire, until we found them leaving 6' at each box, then cutting the tail into scraps
Semi-Ret Electrician is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advertising, health insurance, internet marketing, perks, profit