Where can I find a socket for this? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree52Likes

Old 03-27-2019, 09:28 PM   #1

Default Where can I find a socket for this?

I've done mostly resi work in the past, but a friend of mine bought a gas station a while back and someone backed into a j-box and took out the canopy lights. I need a square recessed plug socket. Where do I find them? Supply house I deal with doesn't stock explosion proof RMC fittings. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Where can I find a socket for this?-img_20190322_160356_3_1553736454423.jpg  

Wiredmikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2019, 09:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,524

grainger.com for one but any larger supply house should have them.
you wont find them in hardware stores unless you have them order them for you.

Miracle (mere-ack-ull):the aspirations of the indigent, The expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.
gnuuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:34 PM   #3
cog

Rewards Points: 954

set of 12 point sockets is good for square nuts

oops, didn't look close enough, not nuts at all.

Last edited by stuiec; 03-27-2019 at 09:36 PM. Reason: old eyes
stuiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2019, 09:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,158

I have been doing industrial work for almost 40 years and I have never seen a socket that fits those plugs. Go to Fastenal and get a piece of square stock and use Crescent wrench on the stock.
If they are poured they may not come out. Then you have to crack them with 2 ball pein hammers.
If you are lucky you might find a 12 point socket that will fit on the stock.
LC
Old 03-27-2019, 11:18 PM   #5
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 17,452

Did you try a 3/8" ratchet?

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:28 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
Did you try a 3/8" ratchet?

Or 1/2 inch. The ones I have done in the past were 1/2 ratchet. But those look smaller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ctsparky93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:54 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,528

On an EYS, it's a 1/4" drive on the small "pour" plugs, 1/2" ratchet on the XP plug in the vertical.. To me those look like 1/2" ratchet..
I'll ask a dumb question... What do you expect to do IF you can get the plug out? They are a poured fitting that has the equivalent to cement in them. You won't be adding or repulling conductors without cutting the seal apart.. Even with STL on the threads, when they are poured properly, they are typically a b!tch to get out afterwards.
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 01:55 AM   #8
:-)

Rewards Points: 2,372

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Crapshooter View Post
Then you have to crack them with 2 ball pein hammers.
Yep.

I like perfect.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
daveEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:23 AM   #9
Semper Fi

Rewards Points: 7,374

I think you have a decent chance of finding a cheated pour at a gas station. A couple of hits with a beater screwdriver might get you there.
I thing I remember opening them with a 1/2" rachet or maybe being disappointed it didn't fit.
Its much better to smash them and not let the chunks fall into the pipe.
Southeast Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:49 AM   #10
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 2,782

See the attachment. What a pain in the ass it was to get this, even their product engineers struggled to find it. It should be available on their web site within ten clicks. Another disaster of a consolidated web site.

It's a 3/8" drive for 1/2" fittings, 1/2" drive for 3/4" and 1", 3/4" drive for 1-1/4" and 1-1/2", then 7/8" for 2" and up from there. The part number for the plug is PLGx - PLG1, PLG2, etc.

The only 1/2" to 3/4" adapter I could find locally was a Harbor Freight impact rated. I use regular 3/8" and 1/2" breaker bars and extensions and that adapter to open up to 1-1/2" which is as big as I've had to go.

Beyond that my plan is to buy 18" of the square stock and put a big wrench on the square stock.

The unpleasant surprise is that once you get the thing open, the worst part begins. If you're taking the whole thing apart, smashing them up sounds better.
Attached Thumbnails
Where can I find a socket for this?-plgx.png  

MechanicalDVR and circuitman1 like this.
splatz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to splatz For This Useful Post:
MechanicalDVR (03-28-2019), Southeast Power (03-29-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 07:19 AM   #11
Sentimental Mental

Rewards Points: 1,328

I'd always look inside first, 'round these parts it's prolly 50/50 that the chico was ever even poured.
splatz and Southeast Power like this.

Good work aint cheap and cheap work aint good.
CTshockhazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:23 AM   #12

Good morning all. Thanks for all the replies. Honestly, I thought the fittings were just spun in and sealed with gas proof yellow pipe tape. It's 3/4 RMC. I'm just going to replace the entire assembly, fittings and all. If there isn't enough slack in the lines that were cut, I'll re-pull them.
Attached Thumbnails
Where can I find a socket for this?-img_20190322_160345_7_1553772209524.jpg  

MikeFL likes this.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:34 AM   #13

50/50 is betting odds for me. I'm in central Connecticut if that matters. This would be the third time a car has ran into something at the gas station in the past 3 months. Hartford drivers....
Attached Thumbnails
Where can I find a socket for this?-img_1536_02_1553772871344.jpg  

Old 03-28-2019, 07:58 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 3,528

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredmikey View Post
Good morning all. Thanks for all the replies. Honestly, I thought the fittings were just spun in and sealed with gas proof yellow pipe tape. It's 3/4 RMC. I'm just going to replace the entire assembly, fittings and all. If there isn't enough slack in the lines that were cut, I'll re-pull them.
What all is damaged? In the first pic it looked like just the JB. If that is just a metal WP JB and maybe a broken nipple, that would be all I'd be replacing. If you start replacing conductors and an underground conduit is damaged, that could become a huge can of worms.
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:18 AM   #15

Several of the nipples are bent. The jb is trashed, and the power feed lines for the canopy lights have been completely severed. I megged the other lines and they're good. Oddly enough, this box is outside of a class 1 location.
circuitman1 likes this.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:49 AM   #16
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
50/50 is betting odds for me. I'm in central Connecticut if that matters. This would be the third time a car has ran into something at the gas station in the past 3 months. Hartford drivers....
Connecticut drivers....down here we call them something a little different by adding an 'N' in there.

They speed, pass on the shoulder, run lights/stop signs...so hitting a fixed object like a building seems par for their skill level.
circuitman1 likes this.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:52 AM   #17
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctsparky93 View Post
Or 1/2 inch. The ones I have done in the past were 1/2 ratchet. But those look smaller
I've only come across one odd ball plug that wasn't a standard ratchet drive size and it looked like an 8 pointed star.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:55 AM   #18
Sentimental Mental

Rewards Points: 1,328

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
Connecticut drivers....down here we call them something a little different by adding an 'N' in there.

They speed, pass on the shoulder, run lights/stop signs...so hitting a fixed object like a building seems par for their skill level.

Think there bad down there? Try 3.5 million of 'em
MechanicalDVR likes this.

Good work aint cheap and cheap work aint good.
CTshockhazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:18 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 634

Quote:
Grab me one of those blunt wraps while you're there. I have some "cigars" to roll.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:21 AM   #20
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTshockhazard View Post
Think there bad down there? Try 3.5 million of 'em
I can only imagine.

They are easy to spot down here, normally seen on the shoulder passing somebody or just pulled over getting a ticket.

I'm sure they tell all their friends "Virginia is just a speed trap"!
CTshockhazard likes this.