Where should i stop ? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By daveEM
  • 1 Post By PokeySmokey

Old 11-15-2017, 06:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 215
Default Where should i stop ?

Good morning guys,

I work in a chemical factory and i have my electrican licence for few years now. I mostly work alone and do prety much all by myself and trying my best to follow my electric code just like i should.

But i was wondering about Master electrican, what type of work exactly i shouldnt try to do myself ? and let's someone else do it to be legal ?

I work only with 600V or less voltage and do all kind of new installation or maintenance. But i was wondering where is the limit of what i can legaly do in my job and where i should give it for a master electrican or something.
This part is unclear to me.

If anyone got few link to send me so i could read more about it it would be appreciated.

I live in Quebec Canada. So im working with the canadian electrical code

Also, from what i read here , be a master electrican seem like only good if you want to start your own business. But i was also wondering when you work in a plant has a maintenance guy, is there any reason or need to get this qualification ?

Thanks !
martindag is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2017, 06:45 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,034

Is there only one type of license in Montreal? Here we have many different levels. Unlimited, intermediate, limited plus special licenses for sfd or well pumps etc.

What type of license do you hold.
Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Alwon For This Useful Post:
martindag (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 07:13 AM   #3

The licence i got is called : "Certificat de qualification hors construction "
Also called Licence C.

Im allowed to work in industrial type of environment with this qualification.

I could also call at the CMEQ (corporation of master electricians of quebec) here to get more specific information

From what i know we got 2 type of license basicly, for industrial work ( hors construction)

and for commercial and residential work ( construction license)

There must be more but im not really sure about them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2017, 07:37 AM   #4
Light Bender

Rewards Points: 7,938

The master course and licence are for when you want to start your own buisiness. The course is mostly about safety, not much about code. Getting your masters does not mean your a better electrician or know more than an electrician, just means you took the course and passed a test. (Each province has their own version of the masters, it’s a money grab imo)

As for your situation, you work in an industrial setting. Technically in Canada you can do that work without a licence, industrial electrician is not a compulsory trade.

ETA.
If you only work in the one factory it is all good. If you do work outside of your building, you must pull a permit. Can’t pull a permit unless you are an electrical contractor, can’t be an electrical contractor unless you took the masters course and pay the annual fees.

Last edited by eddy current; 11-15-2017 at 07:41 AM.
eddy current is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eddy current For This Useful Post:
martindag (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 08:22 AM   #5
:-)

Rewards Points: 2,382

Quote:
Originally Posted by martindag View Post
I could also call at the CMEQ (corporation of master electricians of quebec) here to get more specific information
^^ Do that.

Also it's ok to take a course and get your Master Electrician Certificate. It might be a money grab from the government but it's not a lot of cash and it looks good after your name.

^^ Your boss will like it as it shows you have some interest in bettering yourself. You may never officially use it.
Majewski likes this.

I like perfect.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
daveEM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daveEM For This Useful Post:
martindag (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 09:07 AM   #6
Band Member

Rewards Points: 2,262

Quote:
Good morning guys,

I work in a chemical factory and i have my electrican licence for few years now. I mostly work alone and do prety much all by myself and trying my best to follow my electric code just like i should.

But i was wondering about Master electrican, what type of work exactly i shouldnt try to do myself ? and let's someone else do it to be legal ?

I work only with 600V or less voltage and do all kind of new installation or maintenance. But i was wondering where is the limit of what i can legaly do in my job and where i should give it for a master electrican or something.
This part is unclear to me.

If anyone got few link to send me so i could read more about it it would be appreciated.

I live in Quebec Canada. So im working with the canadian electrical code

Also, from what i read here , be a master electrican seem like only good if you want to start your own business. But i was also wondering when you work in a plant has a maintenance guy, is there any reason or need to get this qualification ?

Thanks !
Basically you're an Industrial Electrician, as mentioned, you can do Electrical maintenance for the plant you are employed.

To become a Construction Electrician, you need to do the full apprenticeship for it. You can then pull permits etc.. You can write the Masters to be able to contract out as well.

You can become a Master Electrician with a Technologist degree (CET in ontario, or P.T in que) or as an Engineer ... but you can't pull a permit unless you have a Construction Electrician in your employ.

ETA: You can't write the Masters with just an Industrial license

Last edited by emtnut; 11-15-2017 at 09:29 AM.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to emtnut For This Useful Post:
martindag (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 01:35 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 590

I worked in manufacturing before I got my license. I did the same things before I got it, and after.
The only thing that changed was my resume.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Valdes For This Useful Post:
martindag (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 06:33 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 448

In Ontario, if the factory employs an Engineer (not necessary Electrical) who is responsible to arrange a General Electrical Inspection yearly and a bound log book is kept that records all electrical work done in the factory.

If not then a qualified electrician / electrical contractor must do the electrical work.
emtnut likes this.
PokeySmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PokeySmokey For This Useful Post:
martindag (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 07:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtnut View Post
Basically you're an Industrial Electrician, as mentioned, you can do Electrical maintenance for the plant you are employed.

To become a Construction Electrician, you need to do the full apprenticeship for it. You can then pull permits etc.. You can write the Masters to be able to contract out as well.

You can become a Master Electrician with a Technologist degree (CET in ontario, or P.T in que) or as an Engineer ... but you can't pull a permit unless you have a Construction Electrician in your employ.

ETA: You can't write the Masters with just an Industrial license
Ohh ok i guess thats the part i was missing, so basicly even in my factory, any type of electrical work that would require a new installation or new electric panel or switchgear unit i would need a construction electrician ? But any type of replacement or maintenance in this factory can be done by a industrial electrician like me ?

If that's the case i was doing a little too much work i shouldnt done like installing new transformer and electric panel and such.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:10 PM   #10
Band Member

Rewards Points: 2,262

Quote:
Ohh ok i guess thats the part i was missing, so basicly even in my factory, any type of electrical work that would require a new installation or new electric panel or switchgear unit i would need a construction electrician ? But any type of replacement or maintenance in this factory can be done by a industrial electrician like me ?

If that's the case i was doing a little too much work i shouldnt done like installing new transformer and electric panel and such.
That's correct ... but what @PokeySmokey said is valid too, if an engineer is signing off on the install, then you can do it.

We had an Electrical Eng at a plant I worked for, but even thou there was a yearly inspection, for any new Installation, it would be inspected before startup.
That may have been a company policy thou.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:22 PM   #11

Damn lol I thought been a construction electrician was more like working on commercial and residential installation and i was not really interested into this.

But if only a construction electrician can do installation into factory it get alot more interesting and i really need to start my apprenticeship into it. I really like doing new installation of all type than doing only maintenance related stuff.

Thanks for the help to clear some stuff for me, I guess working alone doesnt help me much on getting more information. For a big electrician company these question would be some very basic stuff your apprentice would have been asking you !

Thanks again !
Old 11-15-2017, 07:27 PM   #12

But i guess i still need more information like about rebuilding new control panel and stuff like these, ill been doing it for many years now, if the control panel for exemple need a new replacement. Could it still be related to a maintenance ? has long has i get it inspected from a CSA inspector and get it approved i would be fine ?