Whole House Surge Protection - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree58Likes

Old 05-15-2016, 03:36 PM   #1
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 3,720
Default Whole House Surge Protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtnut View Post
...Or installing whole home surge protection
Of course I have been living in this place for a few years now and still haven't found the fifteen minutes to put it in here.

Have you had good luck with panel surge protectors?

I have read a fair amount about this over the years, I've tried some cheap ones and some expensive ones. I seem to be getting good results but it's very hard to know with surge protection if you're just getting lucky.

Somehow I missed these until the other day, maybe 5 minutes instead of 15 will motivate me. Anyone tried this type?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-...75SB/100202111

Jhellwig likes this.

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2016, 03:44 PM   #2
Freelance Member

Rewards Points: 1,192

Looks nice.

I lost a 50" plasma TV to a surge about 2 years ago. I have surge receptacles with strips on them at my computer and TV.

These things seem to be effective.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-Pa...1175/100209321
Attached Thumbnails
Whole House Surge Protection-image-3500345999.jpg  

LARMGUY (05-15-2016), splatz (05-15-2016)
Old 05-15-2016, 03:45 PM   #3
Freelance Member

That condenser wasn't harmed at all.
Jhellwig likes this.
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2016, 03:46 PM   #4
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 304

I have seen them installed and installed a couple but never went back and checked on their operation afterwards.
Jhellwig and Majewski like this.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MechanicalDVR For This Useful Post:
splatz (05-15-2016)
Old 05-15-2016, 04:15 PM   #5
Conservitum Americum

Rewards Points: 548

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllWIRES View Post
Looks nice.

I lost a 50" plasma TV to a surge about 2 years ago. I have surge receptacles with strips on them at my computer and TV.

These things seem to be effective.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-Pa...1175/100209321
I'll bet that was LOUD!
Jhellwig, splatz and Majewski like this.

LARMGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:23 PM   #6
Band Member

Rewards Points: 818

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
Of course I have been living in this place for a few years now and still haven't found the fifteen minutes to put it in here.

Have you had good luck with panel surge protectors?

I have read a fair amount about this over the years, I've tried some cheap ones and some expensive ones. I seem to be getting good results but it's very hard to know with surge protection if you're just getting lucky.

Somehow I missed these until the other day, maybe 5 minutes instead of 15 will motivate me. Anyone tried this type?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-...75SB/100202111
Yep ... You install it, and if there is no surge in 3 years (even with storms in the area) , how do you know it works

I've used these for some Industrial applications, where every storm the communication lines were frying. Seems to be a huge improvement, but I also hear that these only last so long, then they stop protecting.
http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/Produ...&section=39955

They're not exactly cheap either
Jhellwig likes this.

Last edited by emtnut; 05-15-2016 at 04:24 PM. Reason: spelling
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to emtnut For This Useful Post:
splatz (05-15-2016)
Old 05-15-2016, 05:56 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 836

I was told by experts that a whole house protector was good but if there are sensitive electronics (TV, computer, etc.) you should also use point of use surge receptacles. Not a cheap surge strip, but a receptacle.

A Little Short is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A Little Short For This Useful Post:
AllWIRES (05-15-2016), splatz (05-15-2016)
Old 05-15-2016, 06:06 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 437

I forget the exact model number, but I have installed a lot of the Cutler Hammer Ultra surge protectors. They are about $125 and I sell them installed for $250.

A Little Short, what you said is very good advice. But are the receptacle surge protectors good? I always thought the larger sized ones were better. I figured surge protector receptacles were no better then power strips.
Jhellwig likes this.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:11 PM   #9
Hackenschmidt

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Short View Post
I was told by experts that a whole house protector was good but if there are sensitive electronics (TV, computer, etc.) you should also use point of use surge receptacles. Not a cheap surge strip, but a receptacle.
The SPDs that install at the panel, at least the ones I have found, don't have the the real low clamping voltages that you want for delicate stuff like electronics.

People say that the point of use protector only handles what gets past the panel, but that's not really how it works with the shunt type MOV SPDs. The one with the lower clamping voltage starts to clamp before the voltage rises to where the panel unit kicks in.

If you think about it, if you put one of these

on a receptacle on a box on a nipple at the panel, it's really whole house protection....
Old 05-15-2016, 06:13 PM   #10
Hackenschmidt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllWIRES View Post
Now when I look at that picture, maybe I'd rather take the extra ten minutes and install one outside the panel rather than right on the bus. And maybe I want a metal one.
Jhellwig likes this.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:15 PM   #11
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Short View Post
I'm under that impression as well, having installed the model ENut posted on the mains, then a surge recept, then a surge strip in descending joule order

~CS~
Jhellwig likes this.
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chicken steve For This Useful Post:
splatz (05-15-2016)
Old 05-15-2016, 06:21 PM   #12
Hackenschmidt

The best surge receptacles I have seen are the Levitons with I think a 400v clamping voltage, I try to use 330V for electronics. The UL only rates down to 330V, some claim to clamp lower, but if they have UL 1449 clamping voltage 330v, it's been tested.

One of the Leviton surge receptacles gives you a light and a beep when the thing's shot, that could be a real nuisance but it may be the only way you'd know if it sits behind a TV.

And again, if those MOVs can cook like that, maybe inside the wall isn't the best place for them?
Big John and Jhellwig like this.
TheWireNut (05-15-2016)
Old 05-15-2016, 06:34 PM   #13
Retired Account

Well it all begs the Q, what are the surge cause & effects Splatz..?

~CS~
Jhellwig likes this.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:59 PM   #14
Hackenschmidt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken steve View Post
Well it all begs the Q, what are the surge cause & effects Splatz..?
Whenever I try to research this, it leads to a string of explanations something like this:

I read Explanation 1 and it almost makes sense to me.

I google for clarification, find Explanation 2, which explains how dumb Explanation 1 was. I read Explanation 2 and it almost makes sense to me.

Lather, Repeat. I have never gotten to the center of this tootsie roll pop.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:12 PM   #15
Retired Account

Oh....and here i thought i was the only one Splatz ~CS~
Jhellwig likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to chicken steve For This Useful Post:
AllWIRES (05-15-2016)
Old 05-15-2016, 08:33 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrzy View Post

A Little Short, what you said is very good advice. But are the receptacle surge protectors good? I always thought the larger sized ones were better. I figured surge protector receptacles were no better then power strips.
No, the receptacles are not like the cheezy power/surge strips. I don't know about Leviton but the P&S has a good clamping voltage.

Edit: They also have the audible alarm indicating MOV damage.
Jhellwig likes this.

Last edited by A Little Short; 05-15-2016 at 08:40 PM.
A Little Short is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to A Little Short For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2016, 08:42 PM   #17
Freelance Member

Good enough for my house.

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-T5280-.../dp/B0039UUMJM
Jhellwig likes this.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:05 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 265

Funny this comes up. We had a wind storm that took out a tree which fell on 69kV lines which are above the 7.2kV lines we peasants use. Well ya know what happened next, man-mad lightning before a bunch of fuses blew on the lines and a substation blew. I was in my boiler room where the panel is with that Mike Holms endorsed Eaton Ultra whole house wired into a 50A...... Well my injection controller for radiant heat is 3' from that panel and was purring away running an injection circulator. BAM that blows up with M80 noise and the lights go out at 9:30pm.
Nothing else in the house cooked including the 52" plasma.

Lots of service calls the next day to houses and business within 5 miles of our distribution for blown up power strips and mini-splits. Several people said they were watching TV when it happened and nothing bad happened other than frying the cheapo power strips the TV or computer was plugged into.

I'm out a $700+ control with Mike Holms watching over me while everyone else gets but with a $15 WallyWorld power strip? POCO ended up coving all damages for any related failed equipment, so not bad.... I was going to go after Eaton for the $700 if not.

TWN
Big John and Jhellwig like this.
TheWireNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:06 AM   #19
Retired Account

Eaton can eat me....~CS~
Jhellwig likes this.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:53 AM   #20

Rewards Points: 437

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWireNut View Post
Funny this comes up. We had a wind storm that took out a tree which fell on 69kV lines which are above the 7.2kV lines we peasants use. Well ya know what happened next, man-mad lightning before a bunch of fuses blew on the lines and a substation blew. I was in my boiler room where the panel is with that Mike Holms endorsed Eaton Ultra whole house wired into a 50A...... Well my injection controller for radiant heat is 3' from that panel and was purring away running an injection circulator. BAM that blows up with M80 noise and the lights go out at 9:30pm.
Nothing else in the house cooked including the 52" plasma.

Lots of service calls the next day to houses and business within 5 miles of our distribution for blown up power strips and mini-splits. Several people said they were watching TV when it happened and nothing bad happened other than frying the cheapo power strips the TV or computer was plugged into.

I'm out a $700+ control with Mike Holms watching over me while everyone else gets but with a $15 WallyWorld power strip? POCO ended up coving all damages for any related failed equipment, so not bad.... I was going to go after Eaton for the $700 if not.

TWN
Could it have been proximity? Meaning, if you had a power strip and TV plugged into an outlet that was as close to the panel as the injector, would it have blown then?
Jhellwig likes this.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote