will the smart meter send signal to hydro if we pull it out? - Page 2 - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion


Like Tree33Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2016, 01:35 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 260
Rewards Points: 136
Default

I worked with a lot of this type stuff, but not in this application. How often a meter reports is probably in the meter. The question is, what is the poco monitoring; IE: are they even looking for a "heatbeat" from each meter and in what time frame; once every 4, 6, 8, 12, etc hours?

Unless they're anal about meters being pulled, I doubt most of them monitor them closely. They may look for groups of missing meters and use polling to help locate the source of an outage.
GrayHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-26-2016, 06:16 PM   #22
Old Grumpy Bastard
 
MechanicalDVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Old Dominion"
Posts: 59,268
Rewards Points: 952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHair View Post
I worked with a lot of this type stuff, but not in this application. How often a meter reports is probably in the meter. The question is, what is the poco monitoring; IE: are they even looking for a "heatbeat" from each meter and in what time frame; once every 4, 6, 8, 12, etc hours?

Unless they're anal about meters being pulled, I doubt most of them monitor them closely. They may look for groups of missing meters and use polling to help locate the source of an outage.
I lean toward the thought that the POCO pays more attention in locations that theft is a significant problem.
Majewski likes this.
__________________
I'm as Christian as possible in the times we live in.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:20 PM   #23
Very Long Vacation
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: united states of america
Posts: 11,766
Rewards Points: 5,262
Default

It depends more on the POCO. Some haul ass when the signal comes in, others ignore it or don't have the resources to catch it. Wish all POCOs were the latter, makes emergency repair a heck of a lot easier and your business reputation remains in all others.
readydave8 and Majewski like this.
meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-26-2016, 08:20 PM   #24
nbb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Midwestland
Posts: 400
Rewards Points: 516
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrn33 View Post
Do things right and pull a permit like you know you should.
You forgot that you are on ET, and need to blame every mishap on the United States executive branch. I know this is general electric talk, but that doesn't stop anyone else from bringing their controversial talk BS here.
Majewski likes this.
nbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:21 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brisbane, Australia.
Posts: 2,866
Rewards Points: 2,366
Default

I would tend to agree !
The technology is certainly there for them to detect such things,
but weather they want to, or do so, is another matter.
Majewski likes this.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:52 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
JRaef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SF Bay Area, California
Posts: 5,077
Rewards Points: 2,038
Default

As said many times, a lot is going to depend on how the PoCo is set up. Some of the smart meters are communicating periodically once in a great while, some periodically more often, some only when polled (the PoCo sends out a request to the meter, it answers only when asked). Some, like mine, have a wireless network set up wherein your neighborhood has a little repeater node on a pole somewhere nearby, talking constantly to around a dozen or so smart meters on a relatively constant basis to update a memory log, then the PoCo network polls that node periodically to collect the data from that log or send signals (such as "Disconnect" or "Disable HVAC"). If you pull one of those, the network node knows right away, but the PoCo likely doesn't until their system talks to the node. But on some of THOSE, the node sets a "flag" that the network is looking for a lot more often, which is how they detect a downed line.

So bottom line, you will not know without asking and if you ask, they will scold you immediately. Pulling the meter under load can damage it. So in many cases you can just call and ask for a disconnect and they give the command to the meter, it immediately opens the contacts inside of it and then they tell you it's OK to remove the meter. When you are done, you call them and they turn it on again.
__________________
"If you don't know where you're going, then any direction will do." -- Lewis Carroll

Last edited by JRaef; 08-27-2016 at 04:54 PM.
JRaef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:56 PM   #27
Mensa Player
 
HackWork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: -
Posts: 33,137
Rewards Points: 1,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRaef View Post
As said many times, a lot is going to depend on how the PoCo is set up. Some of the smart meters are communicating periodically once in a great while, some periodically more often, some only when polled (the PoCo sends out a request to the meter, it answers only when asked). Some, like mine, have a wireless network set up wherein your neighborhood has a little repeater node on a pole somewhere nearby, talking constantly to around a dozen or so smart meters on a relatively constant basis to update a memory log, then the PoCo network polls that node periodically to collect the data from that log or send signals (such as "Disconnect" or "Disable HVAC"). If you pull one of those, the network node knows right away, but the PoCo likely doesn't until their system talks to the node. But on some of THOSE, the node sets a "flag" that the network is looking for a lot more often, which is how they detect a downed line.

So bottom line, you will not know without asking and if you ask, they will scold you immediately. Pulling the meter under load can damage it. So in many cases you can just call and ask for a disconnect and they give the command to the meter, it immediately opens the contacts inside of it and then they tell you it's OK to remove the meter. When you are done, you call them and they turn it on again.
That's why you shut the main first.

Have you seen the PoCo call in to have the meter shut itself off before pulling it? They sure as hell don't do that around here.
Voltron and Majewski like this.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:08 PM   #28
Old Grumpy Bastard
 
MechanicalDVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Old Dominion"
Posts: 59,268
Rewards Points: 952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbb View Post
You forgot that you are on ET, and need to blame every mishap on the United States executive branch. I know this is general electric talk, but that doesn't stop anyone else from bringing their controversial talk BS here.
Oh aren't we a tad sensitive?
Majewski likes this.
__________________
I'm as Christian as possible in the times we live in.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com