Will they check the 8000 hours in california - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 07-25-2013, 01:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Will they check the 8000 hours in california

Hello there... I'm an amateur electrician... I've done residential work for about 2 years and commercial for 3 years.
All my coworkers got their Electrician Licenses without having any electric courses completed or the 8k hours... This was a few years back... Now I'm being informed that they do check your hours. True or not? Because I've worked 2 years on cash. And now I'm just a labor that works for an Electric company. Thank you
Dktrvamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2013, 02:14 AM   #2
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,000

Call them and ask.
FastFokker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FastFokker For This Useful Post:
Dktrvamp (07-26-2013)
Old 07-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,828

What is an 'amateur electrician'? I am an electrician for a living and would consider myself a professional electrician.. Know it all - NOT at all...
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 8,986

Let's hope they do! From what I have been told they are now asking for a print out from the Social Security office, so if you have been working under the table, you're screwed buddy!

Just go back and redo your taxes, pay the taxes, and your records will be adjusted accordingly!
Switched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Switched For This Useful Post:
Dktrvamp (07-25-2013)
Old 07-25-2013, 09:13 AM   #5
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 12,115

Around here, an apprentice maintains a log book of hours that is signed off by his employer(s). Isn't that kind of a universal thing?
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents
Around here, an apprentice maintains a log book of hours that is signed off by his employer(s). Isn't that kind of a universal thing?
Well that's theW2... But my employer wanted me to take the test and they told him to get a print out from the social security office with all the hours.... Supposedly that's a new law
Old 07-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
Premium Member

Rewards Points: 4,153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dktrvamp View Post
Well that's theW2... But my employer wanted me to take the test and they told him to get a print out from the social security office with all the hours.... Supposedly that's a new law
Yep, I heard the same. It's to keep " I'm an amateur electrician." from getting certified by just attending a test passing school. You may have to get your trainee card and start logging the hours.
dronai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dktrvamp

W2 as in tax forms? No the log book is for apprentices to keep track of the hours they've worked and in what (residential, commercial, industrial, etc) certain amounts of hours are needed for each and then the employer signs off after all hours have been completed and its then sent out to the state. This is only in CT as far as I know though, guess Canadians do it as well. I always assumed it was at least a nation wide thing though.

Just being able to attain a license sounds really sketchy to me and I'm sure that's where a lot of hacks would come from if that's the case. Maybe it's different out in Cali though, idk

Last edited by ThisIsMdot; 07-25-2013 at 03:03 PM.
ThisIsMdot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThisIsMdot For This Useful Post:
Dktrvamp (07-25-2013)
Old 07-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,284

Not sure about California (each state makes up their own rules), but neither a W2 or paystubs are verification of hours in Michigan.

Michigan law (1956 PA 217) requires all apprentices to register with the state within 30 days after employment; upon satisfactory proof of participation in a bona fide apprenticeship training program, equivalent to the requirements of those imposed by the United States department of labor bureau of apprenticeship and training, the state will issue a certificate of registration, which must be renewed each year.

Our apprentices complete a monthly task total sheet, which must be signed by their journeyman, documenting the number of hours and type of work experience. To take the exam they must submit a letter of documentation on company letterhead containing the start and end dates of employment, number of hours worked (OT does not count), and description of experience and duties. The letter must have the license number of the master electrician and be signed and notarized.
Michigan Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switched
Let's hope they do! From what I have been told they are now asking for a print out from the Social Security office, so if you have been working under the table, you're screwed buddy!

Just go back and redo your taxes, pay the taxes, and your records will be adjusted accordingly!
Yeah that what I heard. I worked on residential for two years and it was cash. I got less then 2 years left to get my 5 years in commercial.
Thanks
Old 07-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronai

Yep, I heard the same. It's to keep " I'm an amateur electrician." from getting certified by just attending a test passing school. You may have to get your trainee card and start logging the hours.
Well I got about 20 months to go till I complete my 8000 hours. I hope I can get the license next year so I can get paid for what I work for. I mean I'm ok with my hourly rate ATM 32/hr 40+/hr sounds better
Old 07-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen1971
What is an 'amateur electrician'? I am an electrician for a living and would consider myself a professional electrician.. Know it all - NOT at all...
I thought an unlicensed electrician sounded too hectic... Haha
Old 07-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dktrvamp
Hello there... I'm an amateur electrician... I've done residential work for about 2 years and commercial for 3 years.
All my coworkers got their Electrician Licenses without having any electric courses completed or the 8k hours... This was a few years back... Now I'm being informed that they do check your hours. True or not? Because I've worked 2 years on cash. And now I'm just a labor that works for an Electric company. Thank you
8K hours and 720 hours of in class instruction NCCER certified.
Surge03 is offline   Reply With Quote