Window openers 230 to 240? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By HackWork
  • 1 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 1 Post By dmxtothemax
  • 1 Post By MikeFL
Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 04:36 PM   #1
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 6
Default Window openers 230 to 240?

I am installing some hopper windows which are high up off of the ground and equipped with motorized openers. The windows and the openers are German made. The openers are 230V/50HZwhich is causing some concern on the jobsite. Has anyone used a transformer to deal with an issue like this?

Bartmando (new guy)
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2016, 04:39 PM   #2
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 1,661

Hi mr carpenter.
Majewski likes this.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:42 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hi Hackwork. I should add I'm not doing the wiring myself, just already installed the windows w the openers on them and trying to help figure out if this is a doable thing or if they are coming out (which would be a terrible thing).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2016, 04:45 PM   #4
Registered Member

this is the unit.

http://www.geze.com/geze/products/rw...9035f8a414b33c
Old 07-18-2016, 04:56 PM   #5
Big nosed attic troll

Rewards Points: 2,774

Ibtl
Old 07-18-2016, 05:05 PM   #6
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,008

Don't they have a 24v motor available?

IBTL
Majewski likes this.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
Old 07-18-2016, 05:10 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 360

Cannot use a transformer to change frequency.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:50 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,372

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartmando View Post
I am installing some hopper windows which are high up off of the ground and equipped with motorized openers. The windows and the openers are German made. The openers are 230V/50HZwhich is causing some concern on the job site. Has anyone used a transformer to deal with an issue like this?

Bartmando (new guy)
Two problems - 230v instead of 240v,
should not be a problem as they allow for a tolerence.

50Hz instead of 60Hz,
As the motors only operate for short periods
it may not be a problem.

But if your concerned, make recommendations
and let someone higher up make the decisions.
Majewski likes this.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:00 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,872

If those motors are rated 230V/ 50Hz and you run them at 230V/ 60Hz they're going to turn 20% faster. That may or many not cause a problem when they reach their limit.

The url you provided has a phone number if you click "References" in the top right, but it's going to cost you because it's international. If you purchased them domestically, I suggest you contact the supplier. If he says you're ok and there is a problem, it will be on him.

PS welcome to the forum.
Majewski likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
Old 07-18-2016, 07:03 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 416
Default Get Mfr Reco

I agree with dmx:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxtothemax View Post
Two problems - 230v instead of 240v,
should not be a problem as they allow for a tolerence.

50Hz instead of 60Hz,
As the motors only operate for short periods
it may not be a problem.

But if your concerned, make recommendations
and let someone higher up make the decisions.
If you have time in the morning, you can ask the manufacturer yourself. Their contact page is http://www.geze.com/geze/contact.html, it has their contact form and (even better) their phone number.

I would ask their tech support / engineer to give me a go / no go, and to please send me a short email saying so. Then give that to the client for warrantee purposes...
Old 07-18-2016, 07:04 PM   #11
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 2,662

From the 'product features' section, it looks like they are 24 volts and if needed, a separate AC adaptor can be used.

This means that most likely, the 24AC is converted to 24DC which is used for both the controls and motor.

If so, then it'd work on either a 50 or 60HZ system. A remote transformer (120V - 24V) would need to be installed nearby and there'd be no need for the factory 230 volt mains adaptor.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:36 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 556

Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. However, working with electricity and electrical systems can be unsafe if not done by a professional licensed electrician. The moderators of this site would like to advise you to contact a professional electrician in your area.

If you are permitted by law in your area to do your own electrical work, please sign up at our sister site, www.DIYChatroom.com where many of our professionals are also members and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.