Wing Turbine Output Power? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JasonCo

Old 09-20-2016, 10:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,098
Default Wing Turbine Output Power?

Honestly I have no idea where to put this. I feel sick to my stomach to even really post this type of question on this forum. But I am really frustrated at this point and need some educated guesses! So I have a 60 question homework in school and have done 59 out of the 60 questions. There is a question in my homework that reads:

Generally, the output of a wind turbine is on the order of ___.
A. 120v
B. 12,400MV
C. 34.5kV
D. 480V

Our homework is over chapters 3 and 4 in my book. I swear to you, I have read every single word and note in chapter 3 and 4 and there is NOTHING about wind turbines in it, or anything close to getting me to the right answer! (Also have checked the glossary). Our school is trying this new online homework system and I think that this got accidentally put in there, along with like 4 or 5 other questions that also weren't in those chapters but I was able to answer.

Anyways, I can't even guess this question. No idea what it is asking. Output over an entire year? Output as in 480v or 120v to a neighborhood? I just... Idk I'm super frustrated. Our school is trying a new system online and getting rid of paper homeworks and we are the first year of test dummies! Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated on what you might think the answer would be. Thanks!

I'm just too frustrated to even guess at this point, I have put so much time into this question. At this point I'd just feel better if someone else guesses for me, if I guess myself and get it wrong I'll hate myself. Sorry if I put this in the wrong section.

Last edited by JasonCo; 09-20-2016 at 10:39 PM.
JasonCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2016, 11:07 PM   #2

Alright **** it I'm guessing C, here goes nothing...
Edit: HAHA! Got it RIGHT!
MikeFL likes this.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCo View Post
Alright **** it I'm guessing C, here goes nothing...
Edit: HAHA! Got it RIGHT!
If they are talking about multi-megawatt utility scale wind turbines, only 34.5kV makes sense for delivering that much power at a manageable current.

My guess is that even without specific mention of wind turbines in the text they wanted you to think about how to move the quantity of power that they produce. Was there even a picture of a wind turbine with a mention of the output wattage?

But "home" type small wind turbines often produce either wild AC or regulated DC in the range from 12V to 48V depending on design.

Looking at the thread title, I was expecting discussion of aux power for an airplane.
inetdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2016, 11:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by inetdog View Post
Looking at the thread title, I was expecting discussion of aux power for an airplane.
I know, this thread puts me to shame! So much more interesting topics to talk about and here I am posting a boring question that I can't even find the answer to... I tried to even delete the thread out of regret but couldn't!

There was no picture or anything btw. Glad I guessed right though. Basically I looked up a bunch of answers online to how much 1MW produces per year and then averages them all out, then multiplied it by 3 = 3MW and converted it to Volts and got that answer...
Old 09-21-2016, 12:20 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,440

Questions like this are to make you think outside the box,
Who has real understanding vs rote learning,
soon sorts the men out from the boys !

MORE STUDY !!!!

dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:02 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,832

Depends on the size and rating of the turbine... I've looked at some that are 24 vdc and very small amp capacity, while there are some down here that have step up transformers to get the to the utility main lines, then down the road there's a sub to kick it up higher again..
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote