Wire for 0-10v dimmers - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By Dennis Alwon
  • 1 Post By macmikeman
  • 1 Post By splatz
  • 2 Post By splatz
  • 1 Post By chicken steve
  • 1 Post By frenchelectrican
  • 1 Post By splatz
  • 1 Post By frenchelectrican
  • 2 Post By randolph333

Old 06-12-2017, 06:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 49
Default Wire for 0-10v dimmers

What are you running for wire for new construction were LED lights are going in and are being dimmed with 0-10v dimmers? I've been using 14/2/2. Was wondering if something worked better?
boots 211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2017, 06:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,264

That may or may not be compliant. I ran 14/4 but I also ran a 12/2 low voltage class 3 wire. Sometimes the high and low voltage needs to be separated.

I know that south wire makes an armored cable specifically for this but who wants to do that in a house. It may be the safest way to go.
Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:34 PM   #3
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 16,782

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots 211 View Post
What are you running for wire for new construction were LED lights are going in and are being dimmed with 0-10v dimmers? I've been using 14/2/2. Was wondering if something worked better?
It depends on class on the conductors on low voltage side .,, some can run together with line voltage but some can't.

check the manufacter for their specs to make sure you are hitting the right spot .

and few spots the low and high voltage connections have to be seperated too so just be aware of that. ( same with multi gang switch box watch that part too )
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2017, 06:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 536

Good question. I know you can get MC cable with a gray and purple for that purpose. Is romex available that way too?
John M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:48 PM   #5

We've been using18-2
Ground.screwed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:51 PM   #6
Modérateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M. View Post
Good question. I know you can get MC cable with a gray and purple for that purpose. Is romex available that way too?
Kinda of that the XX-4 or XX-2-2 will work if your unit can work together like that.,,

but yes If I recall it correct there is couple Romex that have specail coating that used for low voltage purpose but I am not sure what they are called now due I am in diffrent country now so I will be lagging a little but not that far behind.,,
Old 06-12-2017, 08:41 PM   #7
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,281

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
Kinda of that the XX-4 or XX-2-2 will work if your unit can work together like that.,,

but yes If I recall it correct there is couple Romex that have specail coating that used for low voltage purpose but I am not sure what they are called now due I am in diffrent country now so I will be lagging a little but not that far behind.,,
I know what you mean about the foreign country --stuff lagging behind cause I called into the building dept. a few weeks ago and yup, we still be jammin the 08...........
frenchelectrican likes this.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:27 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 4,032

Canada does not have 14/4 or 14/2/2 romex; only have 14/4 AC90. Would be nice to have the NMD90 4 cond for bathroom fans with options.

Cheers
John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:03 AM   #9
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,028

Am I right in gathering that there are two separate issues, inside the box and outside the box.

In the raceway, conduit, etc. control wiring can be there as long as its insulation rating is sufficient, but there are no other exceptions.

If the control wiring is only for lighting control, which would be the case for dimmers, it can be in the same enclosure - even if the insulation is NOT sufficient for the line voltage - as long as it's routed 1/4" away from the line voltage.

So if I have this straight, that separation is easy in a panel, you can just sleeve the low voltage with some carflex or whatever. But in a switch box or etc., I don't realistically see how you're going to keep them separate.

So if you have to have line voltage and low voltage control in the same switch box shouldn't you use cable OK for line voltage?

The blue MC made by AFC will IMO be superior because there's a twist on the 0-10V cable which will reduce the induction of voltages that will screw up the dimming.
boots 211 (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 04:38 PM   #10
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post

The blue MC made by AFC will IMO be superior because there's a twist on the 0-10V cable which will reduce the induction of voltages that will screw up the dimming.
What is this wire Splatz?

I'm looking at 0-10 dimmers that need to be fed (from the fixtures down to it) , as well as carry the low V to the driver

~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:45 PM   #11
Hackenschmidt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken steve View Post
What is this wire Splatz?

I'm looking at 0-10 dimmers that need to be fed (from the fixtures down to it) , as well as carry the low V to the driver

~CS~
Here's the product page:

AFC Cable Systems® is MC Luminary Cable™ Type MC-PCS
http://www.afcweb.com/mc-metal-clad-...s/mc-luminary/

http://www.afcweb.com/catalog/mc-lum...able-brochure/
boots 211 (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 04:52 PM   #12
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

Quote:
Here's the product page:

AFC Cable Systems® is MC Luminary Cable™ Type MC-PCS
http://www.afcweb.com/mc-metal-clad-...s/mc-luminary/

http://www.afcweb.com/catalog/mc-lum...able-brochure/
Much obliged Mr Splatz , quote request to my supplier w/ your link

thx

~Steve
splatz likes this.
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chicken steve For This Useful Post:
splatz (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 04:57 PM   #13
Modérateur

Quote:

I did see it not too long ago and I like them pretty good and only gotcha I have is.,, I have to jump one island to the other island to get this.,,

But I did talk to my supplier in my main island so he will set it up so I can able get it without end up hitting ferryboat charges .,
splatz likes this.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:59 PM   #14
Hackenschmidt

Their brochure is jacked up, see if this link works for you....

http://www.afcweb.com/mc-luminary-br...y-brochure.pdf
Old 06-13-2017, 05:13 PM   #15
Modérateur

Quote:
Their brochure is jacked up, see if this link works for you....

http://www.afcweb.com/mc-luminary-br...y-brochure.pdf
Thanks for the link and ya it work on my side
splatz likes this.
splatz (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 07:30 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 428
Default d

most of my jobs have been commercial with MC so we used the special MC but I've used Romex with separate 18-2 in a house.

have to ART 725 carefully
farmantenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:11 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 208

Basically, the answer is find out who made the controls and follow their recommendations, as well as the code rules for (usually) class 2 low-voltage wiring. This is a discussion for some Acuity drivers: https://www.acuitybrands.com/product...ntrols_pdf.pdf

That said there are a few general pieces of advice that probably apply for 0-10v analog signaling; for digital signals, find out what standards are being used and follow the applicable recommendations:
  1. Typically drivers will draw 10ma or so (this might be as low as 2ma or as high as 50ma.) They can be ganged in parallel, and controls can put out as much as 500ma (0.5A.) You don't need heavy wire for this; 18/2 is probably enough in most situations, however, watch out for long runs or high currents that can result from many ganged dimmers.
  2. Because these currents are, relative to controlled power, low, it is best to use pairs of wires with a grounded shield; otherwise induced currents from power equipment can affect the drivers. An air conditioner motor near the cable might, for instance, cause the lights to brighten when it turns on or off.
  3. If you have more than one 0-10v pair in a cable, make sure they are individually shielded; otherwise you may get crosstalk between the controls when levels are changed.
chicken steve and splatz like this.

Last edited by randolph333; 06-14-2017 at 01:19 AM.
randolph333 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to randolph333 For This Useful Post:
boots 211 (06-14-2017), splatz (06-14-2017)