Wire Terminal Screws on Receptacles - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree24Likes

Old 10-26-2018, 01:31 PM   #1
Rey

Rewards Points: 70
Default Wire Terminal Screws on Receptacles

Would anyone be able to tell me the composition of the wire terminal screws on receptacles? They are magnetic so are they steel? Also, what would happen if they were zinc (electro plated) screws?

Happy weekend,
Rey
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2018, 01:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 316

So, what does this have to do with the price of tea in China?
DashDingo likes this.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:20 PM   #3
tjb
Cool Kid

Rewards Points: 363

Magnetic? Cool!
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2018, 02:26 PM   #4
Rey

@Bird dog and tjb, your comments are not helpful so why respond? Do you have nothing better to do than to troll? If you have nothing helpful to add, please do not respond.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:30 PM   #5

You could have googled this. Why does this really matter except MUK (More Useless Knowledge)?
Old 10-26-2018, 02:39 PM   #6
Rey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird dog View Post
You could have googled this. Why does this really matter except MUK (More Useless Knowledge)?
I did google it and nothing is coming up...so I thought I would check here. After all this site is called "Electrician Talk". This is my point of asking...DOES IT MATTER?????? What the screw is made of????? If you replace the screw that is on there with a zinc (galvanized) screw is there potential for unwanted effects?

The other times I've had questions as my history shows, someone like you - the "Senior", members reply with unhelpful, rude comments that add nothing. Again, if you have nothing helpful to add, then please do not comment. This is a legitimate question...
Old 10-26-2018, 02:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I did google it and nothing is coming up...so I thought I would check here. After all this site is called "Electrician Talk". This is my point of asking...DOES IT MATTER?????? What the screw is made of????? If you replace the screw that is on there with a zinc (galvanized) screw is there potential for unwanted effects?

The other times I've had questions as my history shows, someone like you - the "Senior", members reply with unhelpful, rude comments that add nothing. Again, if you have nothing helpful to add, then please do not comment. This is a legitimate question...
Well that was better. No it doesn't matter if you have to replace it. However, usually it's easier to just replace the receptacle. The screws are designed not to back out all the way. If you get it out, you may not get another one to screw in.
btw those screws are special. IIRC they are called binding post screws.
tmessner likes this.

Last edited by Bird dog; 10-26-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Bird dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 03:39 PM   #8
Magic Smoke Remover

Rewards Points: 1,966

Quote:
@Bird dog and tjb, your comments are not helpful so why respond? Do you have nothing better to do than to troll? If you have nothing helpful to add, please do not respond.
OK..
matt1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:01 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,634

This is an odd question but then again if you haven't been around much yet, is it. Bird Dog has it right. Go play with a receptacle and take out a screw, now try to put it back in.
For the buck, replace the receptacle.

Tim.
Bird dog and MikeFL like this.
canbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:46 PM   #10
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 12,505

They're not magnetic.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
They're not magnetic.
That's good. We don't have to talk about being repulsive.
Signal1 likes this.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:33 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,754

Quote:

That is the way forums work and the best thing you can do would be to ignore those post and wait for an answer.

Curious did you withdraw a screw and test it?

Or, did you have a magnetic tip that sticks to a screw?

Myself I have never given this any thought but if the screws are magnetic I would assume they are coated.
jelhill likes this.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:02 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 7,339

Before you get all indignant, maybe you should check yourself, son. The terminal screws on duplex receptacles are NOT magnetic, so they're not steel (Unless they're from China). Zinc plated screws would be a dissimilar metal to copper, and/or aluminum, and would cause a galvanic effect on the termination. That's why they're NOT zinc plated.
joebanana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:06 PM   #14
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 325

Quote:
The other times I've had questions as my history shows, someone like you - the "Senior", members reply with unhelpful, rude comments that add nothing.
I usually get blamed for that. It's refreshing to see @Bird dog catching the blame this time
brian john, Switched and MikeFL like this.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:17 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,400

Googled and one manufacturer says that they are.

size 8 plated steel terminal screws and size 8 hex plated steel green chromate ground screw.

Some of the higher quality ones may have stainless screws. Low quality stainless can still be magnetic.

Like most of the other people here i haven't really thought about the material and if i have a problem that requires another screw then i just change out the receptacle

pass & seymour receptacle had the screw material list in there specs
brian john and MechanicalDVR like this.

Last edited by gpop; 10-26-2018 at 09:19 PM. Reason: addition
gpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:26 PM   #16
tjb
Cool Kid

Rewards Points: 363

They’re not magnetic until they’ve been magnetized. Until then, they’re only ferromagnetic, meaning they are attracted by magnets but don’t attract other ferromagnetic things on their own.

C’mon, everybody knows that!
Switched, B-Nabs, Bird dog and 3 others like this.
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 11:44 PM   #17
Gold Pliers Champion

Rewards Points: 2,266

Replacing the screw would void the listing and labeling as it was assembled in a factory recognized by a NRTL.

So if you do this Vladimir Putin will hunt you down (and he will find you) and strap you naked to a horse and ship you to the gulag in Siberia.

Now its' really cold there, so right about the time your eyeballs freeze and crack like little eggs, you're gonna wish you went to Home Despot and spent .99 cent on a damn receptacle.
splatz, MikeFL and Max C. like this.
Signal1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Signal1 For This Useful Post:
Dennis Alwon (10-27-2018), MikeFL (10-27-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 01:19 AM   #18
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 17,255

This is the best part. I always make rude comments, but nobody blames me for it at all...... Whoop Whoop
tjb likes this.
Drudge Report
macmikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
I usually get blamed for that. It's refreshing to see @Bird dog catching the blame this time
I was having an identity crisis. It's good to know I'm a troll and not an ogre like Shrek. Well thought out questions help too.
HackWork likes this.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:18 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TGGT and Bird dog like this.
DashDingo is offline   Reply With Quote