Wire toner. - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By LARMGUY
  • 1 Post By MXer774
  • 1 Post By Cow
  • 1 Post By splatz

Old 09-20-2017, 09:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,134
Default Wire toner.

Looking to get a toner to help identify wires especially when working in a trough can be a pain to try and identify wires. Was looking at a greenlee AT8LK looks like a nice unit with a variety of features.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
rrolleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2017, 10:43 PM   #2
Conservitum Americum

Rewards Points: 574

Do you want the device for LAN and network use that the Greenlee you mentioned will do or do you want a more analog wire identification unit like the Tempo 620K

https://www.datacomtools.com/store/620K.html

This unit along with polarity testing for DC circuits and the regular toning feature also has a N/O normally open and N/C Normally closed feature I cannot live without. I can hook up the toner to the wires in question set to N/O and then go to the other end, and connect the wires and listen for the tone or even latch the tone if I'm too far to hear it.

splatz likes this.

LARMGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:41 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,134

Would like to be able to do cat5 along with regular wiring.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
rrolleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2017, 08:28 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 608

Ask Telsa
dronai likes this.
MXer774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:15 AM   #5
Cow

Rewards Points: 4,584

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXer774 View Post
Ask Telsa
Yeah, give Telsa a few minutes to respond, I'm sure he's busy googling it right now.
readydave8 likes this.
Cow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:37 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 608

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow View Post
Yeah, give Telsa a few minutes to respond, I'm sure he's busy googling it right now.
Too funny. Alright, I'll give my real response. I have one of these and highly recommend it. Have not had any issues out of it. http://www.flukenetworks.com/datacom...Tone-and-Probe
MXer774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:38 AM   #7
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,022

The Greenlee in the OP is set up with a built in banjo, when working with modular jacks / plugs you can inject your tone on whatever pair you want rather than the blue pair. This can be useful if you do a lot of work with datacom cables.

The one @LARMGUY posted catches alarm openings / closings which is obviously useful for alarms but could also be useful if you're messing with digital IOs on PLCs, DAQ, etc.

But there is a Trippet 3388 that can be used on energized wires up to 240V, an obvious advantage when working with power.
LARMGUY likes this.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:38 PM   #8
Conservitum Americum

Rewards Points: 574

The same catalog MXer posted has this http://www.flukenetworks.com/content...election-guide
It is an online guide to help select the right tester for your application.

I have always wanted a TDR but I have heard mixed reviews about the TS100.

LARMGUY is offline   Reply With Quote