Wireless 3 way switches - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By 99cents
  • 1 Post By Dennis Alwon
  • 1 Post By 99cents
  • 1 Post By five.five-six

Old 04-16-2018, 10:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 280
Default Wireless 3 way switches

We are just beginning to trim out an older home that my parent company owns. While removing a door-jamb, the 14-3 (old black Romex, no egc) was cut off at the floor boards. This wire was between the last 4way and the final 3way at the bottom of the stairs for the 2nd floor hallway lights. The ckt can be re-arranged to eliminate the damaged Romex, but we still want to be able to control the lights from the foot of the stairs.

Without ripping open the finished walls, removing the old Romex and installing new 14-3, are there Wireless 3way switches that can be used instead? The damaged Romex was only a S/L, the load wire to the lights is fed from another box.

Thanks,
Rick H.
subelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2018, 01:23 AM   #2
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,673

Definitely. Lutron and Skylink work well. The only thing you need to be concerned about is dimming. If you don't have dimming fixtures, you need one with a straight on/off. I picked up a Conex kit from Lowes this week that worked. They look like two normal Decora switches. The downside was a transmitter that seemed to take up a lot of box space.
splatz likes this.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 99cents For This Useful Post:
subelect (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 06:36 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,262

Lutron Maestros are great and the pico by Lutron are also good. Call tech support and they will give you the model numbers etc that are needed.
five.five-six likes this.
Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2018, 11:05 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,181

I would just cut the wall and replace the Romex. Drywall is cheap.
samgregger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:12 AM   #5
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by samgregger View Post
I would just cut the wall and replace the Romex. Drywall is cheap.
Is copper and labour cheap?
five.five-six likes this.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:18 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 354

Lutron Maestro wireless or Lutron Caseta

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lutron-C...WH-R/206754146
CT Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:15 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,181

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
Is copper and labour cheap?
Cheaper than a $60 switch? Yes. It always amazes me to watch people engineer around a problem rather than just fix it.
samgregger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:32 PM   #8
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by samgregger View Post
Cheaper than a $60 switch? Yes. It always amazes me to watch people engineer around a problem rather than just fix it.
It's just making use of technology to do things quicker and easier. I put one in yesterday. I didn't have to penetrate a fire rated wall and avoided running pipe on the surface. It was clean and simple.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:08 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 8,776

IMO wireless mistro is the way to go. Paint and drywall all take time. $60 switches are cheep and done and done.
99cents likes this.
Liberal Paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only authorities have guns. We have such a place. It's called prison.
five.five-six is online now   Reply With Quote