Wireless well pump control - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree26Likes

Old 06-13-2017, 10:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,134
Default Wireless well pump control

I have been asked to install a service remotely across a road for a well pump. My concerns is is there a way to remotely control the well pump from across the road. So when the well switch calls for water it can send a signal to some sort of contactor.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
rrolleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2017, 10:25 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25,780

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrolleston View Post
I have been asked to install a service remotely across a road for a well pump. My concerns is is there a way to remotely control the well pump from across the road. So when the well switch calls for water it can send a signal to some sort of contactor.

Break this down.

I'm corn fused.
telsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:30 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,119

I'm just curious why you aren't running electric with the plumbing pipe, which I assume is going under the road?
MechanicalDVR likes this.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2017, 10:32 AM   #4

Two lane road. Well and pump on one side of road. Barn on the other side of the road. Both existing. Existing overhead feed has to be removed.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:46 AM   #5
Band Member

Rewards Points: 834

I'm not 100% clear on this either.

You will be powering the well from a new feed from that side of the road ... and the O/H cable with power and control (or just power for contactor) is coming down ?

If so, there's a 1000 wireless products out there for you.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:59 AM   #6

New pedestal service for well on one side of the road. But pressure tank and we'll switch will be on the other side of the road. So I need to be able to send a signal from the barn to the pedestal to power the well. Power and control overhead will be removed.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:16 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 4,020

If you don't need anything fancy there are several wireless I/O options out there. They can be used to mirror signals so an input on one side is mapped to an output on the module on the other side. I use B and B electronics Zlinxs and Phoenix Contact a lot.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:23 AM   #8
Band Member

Something like this may be overkill for your app ... But I like it for industrial control. Can get long distances with ext. antenna too.
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Remo...7367130&sr=8-9

Hang on a bit ... I'm sure someone will come up with something cheaper !
Old 06-13-2017, 11:56 AM   #9

A very simple control is all that is needed. Saw some with Google but just want a simple control that will last.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:58 AM   #10

Max of about 100' from barn to new pedestal.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:39 PM   #11
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,181

I've run Linear Alert wireless transmitter/receiver relay units more than 100 feet before. Mostly for swimming pool lighting remote switching or pump control. Strictly line of sight though, if there are obstructions between the two , you need something else with a stronger signal.
emtnut likes this.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:30 PM   #12
Band Member

This is probably similar to what MacMike suggested ... You would want good line of sight when installing.... range up to 150'

http://www.functionaldevices.com/bui...n/wireless.php
Old 06-13-2017, 05:05 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 58

I'm confused about why any wireless control is needed at all. The water pressure in the line is the "signal". Just put the pressure switch at the wellhead. The tank can still be at the barn.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mpoulton For This Useful Post:
MechanicalDVR (06-14-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 05:18 PM   #14
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 16,782

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
I'm confused about why any wireless control is needed at all. The water pressure in the line is the "signal". Just put the pressure switch at the wellhead. The tank can still be at the barn.
I belive the issue the OP is from one of the cold state area so when the freezeing tempture do show up it can freeze the pressure switch at the well head.,,

so that why the OP want to run in remote fashion a way.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:29 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
I belive the issue the OP is from one of the cold state area so when the freezeing tempture do show up it can freeze the pressure switch at the well head.,,

so that why the OP want to run in remote fashion a way.
That makes sense, but with power available over there it seems like some heat tape would be cheaper, easier, and more reliable than remote control.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:35 PM   #16
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 16,782

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
That makes sense, but with power available over there it seems like some heat tape would be cheaper, easier, and more reliable than remote control.
Ya I know what you mean on that .,, but the issue I do not know if the OP's customer do have convental wellhead or pitless style head ( underground with no exposed pipes ) style.

if conventail I would build a small doghouse type and enclose the whole thing with heat tape to keep it from frezzing.,

I will let OP answer what the gameplan is.,,
MechanicalDVR, mpoulton and emtnut like this.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:40 PM   #17

Customer don't own land on that side of the road. Deeded rights to the well only. Pedestal is all that can be done. I don't even know where the well is not visible from the surface. Pump is currently fed overhead but it's not allowed by the POCO for wires to be attached to their pole. Plan is add 100 amp service pedestal. Feed pump but control it from the other side of the road.

circuitman1 likes this.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:41 PM   #18

I can see wire coming down from the pole so I plan on just rerouting the wire to the pedestal with remote switch.

circuitman1 likes this.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:58 PM   #19
Cow

Rewards Points: 4,572

Why do the controls have to be by the barn?

Is there a reason you can't Tee into the well pump discharge line and install the pressure switch right there next to the service and well pump? That would make future servicing a heck of a lot simpler.

Even if it's buried, a mini excavator can make short work of finding it. I'm not afraid to do a little plumbing if it makes the electrical that much simpler...
mpoulton and circuitman1 like this.
Cow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:42 AM   #20

Homeowner don't have any idea where the well pipe is ran and how deep. House used to be where the well is now. But it got tore down years ago before the land was sold. And I was trying to make it so they don't have to disturb the neighbors land for any repairs.