Wires running across joists in attic - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 01-26-2014, 09:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 105
Default Wires running across joists in attic

I recently had a job inspected and all the old work was done quite sloppily. Specifically wires not stapled and running across across the joists. I failed inspection because of it and now am in the process of lengthening the old wires so I can staple them to the joists. I am wondering though is that specifically a code or just the inspectors subjective interpretation of neat work?
TomSpano is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2014, 10:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSpano
I recently had a job inspected and all the old work was done quite sloppily. Specifically wires not stapled and running across across the joists. I failed inspection because of it and now am in the process of lengthening the old wires so I can staple them to the joists. I am wondering though is that specifically a code or just the inspectors subjective interpretation of neat work?
Yes there is, but your inspector can not make you fix old sloppy work. He could ask nicely. But not fail your work that isn't yours.
backstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:29 AM   #3
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 12,371

Here is how I understand it in general terms: An inspector cannot demand upgrades to a building for wiring that was original. If it is obvious that there was wiring done after the fact that was not properly permitted and inspected, he can demand that it be brought up to current standards.

Our job quotes state that we do not include repairs to existing wiring in our bid. Safety concerns and violations will be brought to the attention of the owner or GC and will be quoted separately. If an inspector demands repairs and upgrades, that's money in the bank .
99cents is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 99cents For This Useful Post:
RIVETER (01-26-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2014, 11:43 AM   #4

Hmm good to know. I may just fix it all. Halfway through already. Some of the old work is stapled but it's on top of the joist. That shouldn't be a problem should it?
Old 01-26-2014, 11:44 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSpano
Hmm good to know. I may just fix it all. Halfway through already. Some of the old work is stapled but it's on top of the joist. That shouldn't be a problem should it?
How is an apprentice pulling permits?
backstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:46 AM   #6
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSpano View Post
It wouldn't fly here but here isn't there.

If you're getting paid for all this extra work it could be a nice little money maker .
Old 01-26-2014, 11:48 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,024

320.23 via 334.23
Deep Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:48 AM   #8
corn-fused

Rewards Points: 620

it can stay on top if its protected, such as a strip of wood on both sides

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
i like neat! just doesnt always happen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
papaotis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to papaotis For This Useful Post:
chicken steve (01-26-2014)
Old 01-26-2014, 11:52 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,024

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaotis View Post
it can stay on top if its protected, such as a strip of wood on both sides
Only necessary if the attic is accessible by permanent stairs or within 6' of the scuttle.
Deep Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Deep Cover For This Useful Post:
360max (01-26-2014), guest (01-26-2014), wendon (01-26-2014)
Old 01-26-2014, 03:38 PM   #10

Ok so what do they mean by guard strips in the code book?
Old 01-26-2014, 03:40 PM   #11

And I didn't pull the permits
Old 01-26-2014, 04:45 PM   #12
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 54

Quote:
Ok so what do they mean by guard strips in the code book?
The big question is: is the attic accessed by a permanent stair or ladder. If not, protection is only needed within 6' of the access hole. I believe the guard strips would be strips of 1x4 or something of the like nailed on each side of the cable to protect it when you're back up there redoing someone's work. It must be at least as thick as the cable.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:01 PM   #13

Thanks for everyone's input. So there are not permanent stairs. So that means wires already stapled on the face not within 6 ft are ok, right? In addition I can stop stapling all these wires? I'm not getting paid for the extra work unfortunetly
Old 01-26-2014, 08:16 PM   #14
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Thanks for everyone's input. So there are not permanent stairs. So that means wires already stapled on the face not within 6 ft are ok, right? In addition I can stop stapling all these wires? I'm not getting paid for the extra work unfortunetly
I would stop stapling and work on your power of negotiation.
The Following User Says Thank You to 99cents For This Useful Post:
dspiffy (01-26-2014)
Old 01-26-2014, 10:07 PM   #15
:-)

Rewards Points: 2,382

We don't care where the access is. If there is a meter (3 ft. + 3 inches or so ) clearance we protect our wire. I always wire near the outside walls so don't worry about protection.

Staple at one end then walk 40 or so feet to the other end and pull her tight. Eye ball within a 16th of an inch for square and drop a second staple. Two wires under a staple.

If I'm feeling chipper I might toss another staple in here or there when doing the general wiring of the room.

My rough-in (all at right angles) looks wonderful. Always the inspector smiles and has never once asked where the ladder is.

I like perfect.
daveEM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to daveEM For This Useful Post:
360max (01-26-2014), 99cents (01-26-2014), dspiffy (01-27-2014), wendon (01-26-2014)