Wiring 240V AC -- 46A Load - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By HackWork
  • 1 Post By telsa
Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 05:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Default Wiring 240V AC -- 46A Load

Hello,

I am wiring for a residential purpose a 240V AC line that has a max continuous load of 46A. The breaker is 60A service. I am looking for the best cable to use in my application. The application will be in a garage-type setting. I am looking at using Multi-Conductor Type W Portable Power Cable. For my current rating, I am looking at using 3x8AWG. I need the cable to have 3 conductors and to have a sleeve encapsulating all three (multiconductor). I am looking at using this cable: http://www.awcwire.com/part.aspx?partname=w-8-3c It states that this wire is rated at 74A on this link: http://www.awcwire.com/productspec.a...or-power-cable

Any thoughts or advice? Thanks in advance!!
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2017, 05:20 PM   #2
Safety Pin Member

Rewards Points: 2,880

Sorry zephier, but this site is intended for electricians only. Consider hiring
an electrician to do this job.
Good luck,
P&L
Malignant narcissism is a psychological syndrome comprising an extreme mix of narcissism, antisocial personality disorder, aggression, and sadism.[1] Often grandiose, and always ready to raise hostility levels, the malignant narcissist undermines organizations in which they are involved, and dehumanizes the people with whom they associate.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:24 PM   #3
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 1,591

Use speaker wire, it is the same copper but much cheaper. You'll thank me later.
readydave8, telsa and Majewski like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to HackWork For This Useful Post:
Dash Dingo (04-06-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2017, 05:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25,878

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephier View Post
Hello,

I am wiring for a residential purpose a 240V AC line that has a max continuous load of 46A. The breaker is 60A service. I am looking for the best cable to use in my application. The application will be in a garage-type setting. I am looking at using Multi-Conductor Type W Portable Power Cable. For my current rating, I am looking at using 3x8AWG. I need the cable to have 3 conductors and to have a sleeve encapsulating all three (multiconductor). I am looking at using this cable: http://www.awcwire.com/part.aspx?partname=w-8-3c It states that this wire is rated at 74A on this link: http://www.awcwire.com/productspec.a...or-power-cable

Any thoughts or advice? Thanks in advance!!
Most EEs these days don't know the first thing about field wiring. It's a broad field.

Toss the job to a licensed electrical contractor.

For him, this project is a breeze.

You'll thank yourself forever afterwards.
Signal1 likes this.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:04 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,266

Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ElectricianTalk.com is designed for electrical industry professionals to discuss issues and topics related to the electrical trades and related industries. Many of our professionals are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.
Closed Thread